PDA

View Full Version : Increasing my experience.

pall
8th Jun 2006, 01:31
I am a low time PPL pilot and I am seeking to expand my flying experience. I have thought of approaching a local charter operator with the suggestion that I fly as a free passenger on some charter flights to expand my experience.

I never get to fly very far as my budget is limited. If I could fly as a passenger with my maps and a flight plan it would greatly increase my skills.

My question is: Am I being a pain in the arse to suggest such an exercise? Would a charter operator see me as an emcomberance and resent my suggestion? What do ppruners think of my proposal? :bored:

wdn
8th Jun 2006, 05:32
i think its not a bad idea. i can certainly see the value of practising navigation without the distraction of flying.

as to whether operators would see it as a wind up, i think most probably would. they can only laugh at you and say no though - no skin off your nose - give it a try and see!

maybe you could wash a few aeroplanes or do some other hangar work in exchange?

Continental-520
8th Jun 2006, 08:53
Do it at a flying school.

See if you can get the ok from other students doing navex's to backseat with your nav board. That way, you get the tips that the student in the left seat gets too.

BARON DRIVER
8th Jun 2006, 10:08
I would go with the flying school option as well.

Glider towing is an option as well as it is classifiyed as airwork not charter ops. So as a ppl you could do it. However most clubs require 100hr flying time, and a tail wheel endorsement?

Something to think about?

But most of all stick with it mate, you will get there!

VH-XXX
8th Jun 2006, 10:37
You might struggle as a pax in charter. Many of them, particularly with freight fly at (or over!) MTOW and a passenger on a 1 hour flight might represent $200 of prescious cargo! Best option is probably to visit your local flying school.

pall
8th Jun 2006, 23:50
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I will follow up the flight school option.

I can see that charter would have restrictions on weight and seats that would make my suggestion a problem.

QSK?
9th Jun 2006, 00:28
pall:

A charter company may also have some insurance/liability considerations that would prevent them having you on board. You would need to check how you stand if you get injured etc.

pall
9th Jun 2006, 11:16
pall:
A charter company may also have some insurance/liability considerations that would prevent them having you on board. You would need to check how you stand if you get injured etc.

Further confirms the flight school is the better option.:ok:

lahso29
9th Jun 2006, 12:41
i back seated on a few ifr training flights while i was doing my irex just before i started the flying for the rating, best thing i ever did. definately the flying school option is the way to go as 520 pointed out you can get all the pointers same as the guy in the left.

good luck with it all.

cheers