View Full Version : FAA ATPL to JAA ATPL

Perwazee
7th Jun 2006, 22:37
I know, I know, some of you would say it has been posted before...but I just want to visit the latest and ask for the advise from anyone who have recently converted FAA to JAA.

I have over 4,000 TT with 1,500 ME. No Turbine, but lots of Charter/Cargo experience. ATPL with First Class Medical and a college degree...my English wife wants to have our kids raised in England and I am beginning to think about the possibilities. Stability is very important to me. I was selected to fly for a regional airline here in the US, turned it down for the corporate gig and two month later that airline furloughed 100 pilots.

I have a very good corporate job flying a Cessna 404/421 and it's not easy to leave a stable flying job, move to a different country and start over. But, I'm willing to give it a try.

What are the chances of getting an airline job in UK/Europe with JAA ATPL?

Before that, I need to find out about the cost and the details of the process to convert the FAA ATPL to JAA, preferrably in England.

Please help!
Thanks.

unfazed
8th Jun 2006, 07:14
Perwazee

I think that you will find that you need to take the JAR ATPL written exams

That will be a significant obstacle requiring considerable time and a a little money. You could do it distance learning from US (checkout Bristol Groundschool costs).

The flying should be a breeze with your experience (mostly at discretion of head of training) - You must attend an approved training providers course (bit of a racket and more cost).

You will find all of the info in the CAA bible "LASORS" which is available on-line at caa.co.uk

There will be the frustrating cultural and training differences to overcome "you have done that wrong!" , "we don't do it like that" etc etc and dare I say it some people might even be slightly prejudiced ?

Anyway if you have no experience of the CAA / JAR system I would say FORGET IT !!!! Beaurocracy, cost, innefficiency and monopoly practices - all very frustrating.

On a more personal note I am planning to go the other way and am wondering how bad the schools can be over in the US ? (i HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN).

Your flying job sounds good and before you give that up I would think long and hard .

Best of luck and hope this helps.:)

AFCAS TARGET
8th Jun 2006, 10:47
I have posted about this on other threads, but I'll through in my .02 since I'm off today. :D I did the conversion about 3 years ago. Costed all in about 18000 sterling :{ yes lad STERLING. So make sure you are commited.
Unfazed comments hold a good bit of truth. So be prepared to bit your tongue and grin and bare it. I did the BGS ground school, Took 6 months of full on study. You've probably read before how over the top it is, its all true so be ready to load alot of useless information into the brain just to have it all come rushing like a burst damn out of your head when you leave the testing center.
Pick your conversion school then you should be able to knock it out in 4 -5 weeks of steady flying. By the way, by this time you should have relocated. I would suggest not coming over on hoilday then finishing it and returning to the US to apply for operators over here, pointless, you need to be in it to win it as they say. I take it you've done some homework on this but if you need more details PM me for anything else.:ok: One final thought, although you have shed loads of time, the time frame it takes is probably at LEAST a year from starting to finishing, and getting that phone call for interview so plan accordingly.

jacko130
12th Jun 2006, 01:41
AFCAS,

Plan on doing the same as Perwazee. Just started looking into all of this and find it a bit confusing. Does everyone start from scratch? Is credit given for US experience/flying time? Getting ready to start my 3rd tour flying for my "rich Uncle" in the UK. Have 5000+ hours in Hercules and a fair bit of experience flying in the UK, though most has been with London or Scottish Mil. I am not looking for an easy way, but have to admit that starting from Day 1 after 20 yrs of flying a bit daunting. Would be interested in hearing more of your experience through this process.

Cheers!

unfazed
12th Jun 2006, 15:45
Jacko 130

You won't be starting from scratch as you will have a lot of the flying hours already (cross country etc).

You will need to sit the exams and that is your biggest challenge

You may get exemptions from the CAA (BUT DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH ON THAT).

Suggest you order the distance learning pack from somewhere like Bristol GS and get cracking on the theory. Second thing that you can do is send your logbook and copy of licenses to CAA and ask them for an assessment of experience against requirements for JAR license (it will cost a fee but they will then advise you what YOU need to do).

:)

Flymix
13th Jun 2006, 21:50
During the conversion and subsequent hiring process, how do British airlines like to see your logbook records? I have an regional airline job in the US right now and I am considering making the jump over to the UK.

Do most people record every leg in their logbook? Every day? Every week? Every month? If I fly five legs per day, would the CAA/hiring staff like to see a line per flight?

It's a small issue in the big picture, but potentially important! Thanks...