PDA

View Full Version : Non pilot crew

freerideroj2
7th Jun 2006, 14:22
Hi everyone, just wondering what is out there for a non pilot helicopter crew member?

Berten
7th Jun 2006, 16:14
Whats a non pIlot crew? Hoist operator, SAR diver, HEMS crew member, Stewardess,.......????

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2006, 16:53
To be non-pilot crew, you have to train in whatever role the helicopter is being used for and even then there would be no guarantee that you'd get the heli work.

You could be a policeman and then get on as a police observer or train as a paramedic and maybe get the role as HEMS. You could train as a television outside broadcast comms engineer and/or cameraman and maybe you'd get the heli-telly jobs. Work for Transco/Shell/Esso and maybe be a pipeline observer. Join the Armed Forces and there may be some helicopter rides for you!

You might a job as a stewardess on the Scilly Isles route!

Does your name have anything to do with the question?

Cheers

Whirls

headsethair
7th Jun 2006, 17:40
Killjoy time. The rules in the UK do not permit all of what is suggested. The definition of crew and flight crew is in CAP 393:

‘Crew’ means a member of the flight crew, a person carried on the flight deck who is
appointed by the operator of the aircraft to give or to supervise the training,
experience, practice and periodical tests required in respect of the flight crew under
article 42(3) or a member of the cabin crew;

‘Flight crew’ in relation to an aircraft means those members of the crew of the aircraft
who respectively undertake to act as pilot, flight navigator, flight engineer and flight
radiotelephony operator of the aircraft;

For sure camera persons are not classed as crew or flight crew. Happy to be corrected - because in the wording quoted above I can see some hope. But am assured by Gatwick that they do not regard camera persons as either flight or cabin crew.

JimL
7th Jun 2006, 18:09
Fortunately, JAR-OPS 3 does permit crew members other than flight crew or cabin crew. Subpart B and Subpart O prescribes regulations for them. These are properly called HEMS crew members and HHO crew members.

Jim

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2006, 18:12
I am not entirely convinced that freerideroj was using the CAP393 definition!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2006, 18:15
Hi everyone, just wondering what is out there for a non pilot helicopter crew member?
Or, passenger?

freerideroj2
8th Jun 2006, 15:32
i`m just wondering what was out there uk wise, i`m electricity at the mo. Also i`m classed as a passenger and not crew.

Heliport
8th Jun 2006, 16:16
Becoming a Crewman, Winchman etc (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202356)