PDA

View Full Version : ANY TIPS FOR QANTAS CADET FLIGHT TESTS?

jetrider444
7th Jun 2006, 09:41
Hi there, I am intending to apply for the Qantas Cadetship this year. I applied last year for the level one cadetship, but was unsuccessful in the computer tests. I know exactly where I went wrong, so I will fix it up this time, and I know I'll be ok getting through the interview. I will now be applying for the level two cadetship as I am not too far away from getting my commercial pilot licence, is there anyone who can give me some tips on the level two flight test?

Pointers would be great! :ok: :ok:

Apophis
7th Jun 2006, 09:50
Yeah work for another company.

captwawa
7th Jun 2006, 09:52
I know exactly where I went wrong, so I will fix it up this time, and I know I'll be ok getting through the interview.Can you give me the lotto numbers while your at it. :D

Toluene Diisocyanate
7th Jun 2006, 09:57
If you know exactly where you went wrong, and know you'll nail the interview, you must have inside information as QF does not divulge any feedback.

Why not ask your father?:E

jetrider444
7th Jun 2006, 10:01
They didnt tell me where I went wrong, I just know. I asked for tips, not put-downs...... Am I in competition with you people or something.... is that what it is? Maybe just jealous....:8 :ok:

BARON DRIVER
7th Jun 2006, 10:55
Hey Jetrider,
If you "just know" where you went wrong with the computer test why ask for advice?

But dont worry, you will fit in well at QANTAS as you already seem FULL OF YOURSELF !

Flyboy_01
7th Jun 2006, 11:12
Hmm, I wouldn't use the word jealous... :ok: Or even competition judging from your attitude :}

Anyway, here's the advice. Bring this attitude you have with you now and make sure you wear a brand new pilot suit to the flight testing.

jetrider444
7th Jun 2006, 11:18
Bight me career-long baron driver, I asked for help with the flight test, not the computer tests :ugh: , I said I already had the computer tests nailed.

If you dont have anything nice to say, zip it :oh:

BARON DRIVER
7th Jun 2006, 11:22
well said FLYBOY, well said :D

wdn
8th Jun 2006, 05:44
surely this is a wind up?

jetrider444
8th Jun 2006, 05:55
Well these guys are surely trying to wind me up I know that. All I asked for was some assistance but times have changed I guess, people don't help eachother any more. You're all jealous because you have probably tried to get into the cadetship but failed :yuk:

AusFlygal
8th Jun 2006, 06:24
Jetrider, your arrogance is astounding - you'll need to develop a thicker skin if this is your chosen career and remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

:)

Flyboy_01
8th Jun 2006, 06:34
Jealous?

Of what? :}

Fragnasty
8th Jun 2006, 06:42
Jetrider,

Just the one bit of advice really.....

"Don't f*** anything up."

Choice bro'!

hoss
8th Jun 2006, 06:56
and remember to keep the wings level, unless they ask you to turn;) .

Hugh Jarse
8th Jun 2006, 07:22
To add to Hoss' remark: No I won't, I changed my mind:oh: . Flies and honey....Flies and honey....

Don't forget to check your ego at the door to the box ;) like the next bloke writes:E

pastadolla
8th Jun 2006, 07:37
I said I already had the computer tests nailed.If you dont have anything nice to say, zip it

I was considering giving you some advice for the flight test given that its a certainty you will pass the interview and all, but then I figured that with your attitude you wont last 5 minutes with PB on the day of the test!:rolleyes:

disco_air
8th Jun 2006, 08:50
jetwanker4444

Don't bag out the Baron drivers, punk. :=

gspinz
8th Jun 2006, 09:23
*plays top gun theme song* :}

make sure you wear them aviators mate:E

gspinz

amos2
8th Jun 2006, 10:23
Don't you just love his triple four moniker tho?

Iron ring potential for sure!

Would he know what the iron ring is? nah! don't think so! :ugh:

morno
8th Jun 2006, 11:21
Well said Disco_air, well said. Jetwanker couldn't fly a Baron anyway, his head wouldn't fit through the door.....

Tips for a cadet****, hmmmm... Earn the respect of your fellow aviators and don't do one. Get out into the real world, and do your apprenticeship like 99% of others in aviation do.

Or are you too scared that you can't cut it and you'll piss everyone off??

Morno

BARON DRIVER
8th Jun 2006, 13:02
Good points raised MORNO

However i think we are being abit hard on "Jetwanker", after all the C172 is a very complex aircraft to operate, so Jetwanker should have no trouble doing an ILS in a B744 down to the minimums, with no autopilot, on just two engines?

What you think?

Towering Q
8th Jun 2006, 13:07
Ok Amos2, I'm curious, what is this 'iron ring'? PM me if you don't want jetboy-wannabee to know.

dutch_oven
8th Jun 2006, 13:18
hey morno, if you rearrange your name, it spells moron!! hahaha and disco_air (or disco_stu) find yourself a real aeroplane. :}

disco_air
8th Jun 2006, 14:24
nah actually i'm quite happy for now. :)

jetrider444
9th Jun 2006, 00:51
What? Earn respect flying around the bush in a 210 for 15 years? If I can get a job on a 74 why not?

command
9th Jun 2006, 00:51
morno and baron driver sound like they missed out on cadetships and they cant handle it. most of us miss out on cadetships and if given the opportunity to do one would gladly take up the offer. cadets get into cadetships because they meet the profile required and have what it takes, morno and baron driver are obviously the contrary, and are just having a dig at jetrider. good luck to you jet rider let me know how you go :D

wdn
9th Jun 2006, 02:08
you can sling ****e at morno and baron all you want. its not going to change who the clown, nay, ass clown is in this thread.

command - you wouldn't be trying to make up for your lack of same with your pprune handle would you? another cadet? :yuk:

Erin Brockovich
9th Jun 2006, 02:25
If I can get a job on a 74 why not?”IF I can”. That is the smartest thing you have said so far. And that’s a big IF considering all the hoops you still have to jump through.

Mate, remember ‘flies and honey’. The cockpit of your ‘74’ could become a pretty uncomfortable place with the wrong attitude. I think you would have more fun in a 210 than sitting for 12 hours making radio calls. Jetrider do you actually know what a SO does.

Give it a go by all means but take a step back and have a look as to why you’re being ridiculed. The one thing that I am certain of is that nothing is certain.

Keg
9th Jun 2006, 02:26
lol. Keep it up boys. If you get a job in QF, make sure you make your feelings about cadets well known- I'm sure you'll get a receptive audience but I bet you don't have the guts to put up.

Just so you do know your audience, there are a bunch of Level 4 cadets (as the level 2 course was known back then) who joined QF in the late eighties who have had their commands for six or more years- a number of them are now trainers. There are a few cadets from the early '90s cadet courses who have had commands for some time. About 95% of those early '90s cadets are F/Os and have been for up to nine years. You'll enjoy flying with them on the 744, Classic, A380 or A330. Of course, lets not forget the cadets from the early '70s who have been Captains for near on two decades, have years of instructional experience and will probably be the ones that do your training when you join. I'm sure they'd love to hear your theories on why they're less than capable pilots because they didn't spend a couple of years 'apprenticeship' flogging around in a 210! :rolleyes:

Whilst Jetrider has an attitude that may see him precluded from getting into a QF cadetship unless he learns to pull his head in, don't think for a second that the alternative attitude espoused by the rest of you clowns puts you in any better position! So good luck boys. Don't forget to make your feelings well known when you join- if you have the guts! :rolleyes: :D

PS: Respect is about the effort you put into the job morno, and how you go about it. Nothing more. I've met great cadets and bad cadets, great RAAFies and bad RAAFies, great GA and crap GA. In all cases, the respect I had for them was based on working with them, not what they had been lucky (or unlucky) enough to have flown prior to joining QF. Clown!

wdn
9th Jun 2006, 02:36
why the gap between the early 70s and late 80s? what happened then?

i agree that people's attitude here doesn't put them into a better position to become cadets. certainly makes them better people than jet dicke though.....

Keg
9th Jun 2006, 04:09
i agree that people's attitude here doesn't put them into a better position to become cadets.....

OK, I'll spell it out a little more clearly for those who are overly pedantic or just can't read into my statement what I was trying to say. :rolleyes: Try this instead:

...don't think for a second that the alternative attitude espoused by the rest of you clowns puts you in any better position to get a job as a pilot with QF!

To sum it up, respect cuts both ways and those that think they are 'above', more worthy, better, or otherwise better endowed than someone else just because they did or did not get a cadetship are doomed to miss out on the very thing they desire.

Clear enough? :ugh:

why the gap between the early 70s and late 80s? what happened then?

QF didn't run the cadet course- no need to as heaps of suitable applicants out of GA and the military. Military ROSO was only seven or eight years back then. Late eighties and QF And AN and TN) were expanding at a rate that saw them getting 'insufficient suitably qualified and skilled applicants'- hence the re-birth of the QF cadet scheme just prior to the '89 pilots dispute, '90 Gulf War and 'recession we had to have' put the brakes on recruitement. QF had already signed the deal for the cadets so the first eight courses went ahead graduating about 90 candidates. The contract was for 180 which QF finished off by putting through the 'sef-funded' cadets who started in about 97 or 98 from memory.

Led Zep
9th Jun 2006, 04:50
Don't worry gentlemen, I'm sure such a pilot would very quickly be sorted out by the Captains on the Metros, EMB-120s, SAABs, Dashs, etc should they make it and be placed into, "GA" for two years. :E
Remember, there is no guarantee of a QF job at the end of those two years either, if they don't perform they are out on their arses with maybe 1200hrs Co pilot and 100hrs command? 1200hrs multi crew, multi turbine might sounds nice but operators will view you with suspicion as to having either "jumped the queue" or second rate. Still might end up flying that C210 or 172XP for 15 years, jetrider old chap! :}

morno
9th Jun 2006, 05:49
Command,
Unfourtanate for you, I never tried, nor wanted to try for the Qantas cadet****.

Having more fun doing what I'm doing, and even have people who I know that have done the cadetship, telling me how they wish they were doing what I'm doing.

Just a thought buddy....

morno

mourgo
9th Jun 2006, 12:07
Goodluck jetrider444,

Ignore all these wankers out there. I made it a while ago into the cadetship. It's not about how hard you study or tips from other people. It's all about having a passion for the industry. If you have that passion for aviation then you will get in.

George_of_the_Bungle
9th Jun 2006, 22:12
jetrider,
how are you certain you know where you stuffed up? what if you failed on the actual personality part of of the psych test.? that, by the looks of it is something that you won't be able to 'fix up' very easily....that is to say you even get invited to do the psych test this time....i know a few people who failed the psych test one year and didn't even get past the application stage the next time they applied...

wateroff
11th Jun 2006, 01:23
Contact Dr Sayus,

Tell him you require a frontal lobotomy, to reduce brain that thinks for itself.

Chris Higgins
11th Jun 2006, 01:26
Jetrider,

Good luck in your interview and wherever life takes you in aviation. Hopefully if you really want to fly for QF, the evaluation process will see you as such and give you a go at it.

Erin Brockovich
11th Jun 2006, 10:03
If you have that passion for aviation then you will get in.Yes, mums’ are supposed to say that. “If you really want it, it will happen”, “follow your heart and the money will come” :suspect: ;)
The only one I live by is “You are guaranteed to fail if you don’t try” – but not with blind faith. Especially in a recruiting system that is so subjective, contradictive and flawed.

The one thing about life is that when you fail, pick yourself back up and learn from your mistakes – you grow. Unfortunately Qantas won’t give feedback so you will never know. What do you work on to improve for next time? The truth is that the recruiting staff don’t even know how the whole system works.

Ah, the optimistic mind of the never bitten.

epoxy
11th Jun 2006, 14:29
geeesus.... when did everyone get so bitchy and snappy?? let's all relax a bit!!

archangel7
11th Jun 2006, 20:29
Guys..... CAN SOMEONE, without being a smart ass, honestly tell me what kind of personality is QANTAS looking for? from what I've noticed, its not just the personality its also the "image" I would assume you have to look the part? I don’t know about the personality bit, but I’m sure its more of the "image" they are looking for. For example: TRAVOLTA!!!! GREASEE LIGHTNING!!!! or when he played swaggering Vinnie Barbarino on the TV series "Welcome Back, Kotter"..... Is that the personality they are for?
Like, don’t get me wrong or anything, but once he finished his worldwide promotional tour for QANTAS, and in return was trained as a 747-400 first officer with Qantas. Did he have to pass the phsyc and aptitude test? how does that work? Is that the image they are looking for? The TRAVOLTAAA Look??? cos if that’s the case... thennnnnn QANTAS HERE I COME!!!! Hang on a sec while I put my dancing shoes on!

-_HowUdoiN_-
13th Jun 2006, 00:44
Jetrider,

I have not personally taken the flight test, but was talking to someone who did do it and passed... He said it was very much like a CPL flight test, having to negotiate controlled airspace and plan alternates in the air.. and all the other fun stuff

Good luck

jetrider444
13th Jun 2006, 02:13
Thanks mate, I have heard a few things like that. I think though, from now on I will just do it on my own, I don't really appreciate all of the crap I have copped in the last week or so. I just wanted to see if a few people could give me some tips. These people are arrogant (I don't know why because their attitude at best may get them a job with a mediocre regional carrier if they're lucky) and jealous of me because I have confidence in myself.

Good luck to you all, maybe some day you could come up and have a chat with me on my flight deck.

:eek: :=

ThoughtCrime
13th Jun 2006, 02:17
These people are arrogant

and

their attitude at best may get them a job with a mediocre regional carrier if they're lucky

Cough! :mad:

Captain Bogus
13th Jun 2006, 02:19
Fortunately there are some decent people here to offer some advice, even if someone has a bit of an attitude. unfortunately I have no advice for the cadet process, I know however you will have more of a chance in life with your attitude jetrider than some of the other guys here like morno baron driver and disco air. Unfortunately they are probably not the best people for the aviation industry as their bad attitude and personalities rub off on others, maybe you should go back to maccas boys. its a pitty that pprune happens to be a bit of a cess-pool for these people.
Goodluck jetrider, maybe you can help these guys change their attitude when you are in, then perhaps they will have a chance.:)

disco_air
13th Jun 2006, 02:31
UM EXCUSE ME?

Did I miss something?

I read about a certain fellow who speaks of 'baron-drivers' and those who fly for 'mediocre regional carriers' as they are some sort of subordinate type of pilot, and that since that is what we are doing, then we must automatically be lesser than the successful applicants of the qantas cadetship or failed applicants of such a course?

Perhaps have a little more respect for your fellow aviators and realise that the industry is much, much bigger than red tails and the cadetship, and its not the be-all-and-end-all of it either!

...Disco :yuk:

Oh and Captain Bogus (how appropriate, a bogus captain) you just proved you have no idea. One wonders why you signed up just to contribute to this post alone (Joined June 2006, Posts 1)

Keg
13th Jun 2006, 02:36
Good luck to you all, maybe some day you could come up and have a chat with me on my flight deck.

You didn't take the subtle hint I tried before, let me make it abundantly clear now. So that you understand where I'm coming from, I passed the psych, passed the cadet course and I'm in the front right seat of the flight deck that you wish to join. I'm telling you that your attitude isn't the one that QF is looking for. If by some miracle you happen to get through the psych and into the cadet course, the attitude you have shown on this thread will ensure that you cop a hiding from the other crews you fly with.

Grow up and learn your place in the scheme of things. Many of your fellow crew will have come from the 'mediocre regional carriers' that you deride. You'll find that they are highly capable- probably moreso than an ex-cadet over the first few years or so- and if they've gotten in then they've demonstrated that they have the same attributes as you.

Good luck Jetrider, you're going to need it. :ugh:

morno
13th Jun 2006, 03:35
I never remember seeing a Macca's uniform in my wardrobe.....
I do remember seeing a flight bag though, and a ****load of good fun that I've had so far in the mere 2 and a bit years that I've been in this industry.
What I do dislike though, is people who use all of their mummy's and daddy's money, to get them through a cadetship, and they're pushing out those of us who have had to do the hard yards in GA, because we didn't have a spare $100,000 and a big head at the start.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with going out into GA and doing some real flying, earning some maturity, earning those decision making skills a lot of junior drivers lack. And getting rid of the big head, and not pissing off those guys who make up the majority of the industry (aka, "Baron Drivers", or GA Drivers).
WOOMERA EDIT. I hope you fail the interview and have to become a "Baron Driver" and work your way through a "Mediocre Regional Carrier".
Morno
Keep the personal insults out of the argument, Morno. Lest Ye be banished to the Sin Bin.:=
Woomera (Eastern States)

Toluene Diisocyanate
13th Jun 2006, 03:46
Well said Keg
Jetrider there's a bloke that reads this site that does the simulator check.
But he's one of them "mediocre regional pilots" you spoke of.:}
Looks like he won't be poppin his head up anytime soon to offer advice now you slagged him.:= Change feet:8
Don't worry about this one "big bum" he took care of it himself :D :} :D

TDI

Led Zep
13th Jun 2006, 04:59
Oh dear. :}
I hope none of the "mediocre regional captains", whom of which you will be doing your 2 years of "industry placement" with should you be successful, are reading this.
Are you looking forward to the chat they'll have with you when you enter their flightdeck? :=
I'm no cadet, but am friends with many and they surely do not need to be tarred with the same brush as you. A few of which paid for their cadetship by working at Maccas! :oh:
It is because of cadets like you that cause "the rest of us" to have, unfairly, negative attitudes to cadets as a whole. Don't ruin it for the ones who get there by working hard!

Chadzat
13th Jun 2006, 05:11
maybe some day you could come up and have a chat with me on my flight deck.

yep....good luck with that :mad:

morno
13th Jun 2006, 05:30
Sorry Woomera, :*

ContactMeNow
13th Jun 2006, 07:14
I knew a guy that got into the QF cadets as a Stage 1 a few years ago, went to Parafield, did all the training etc. Was then sent to Singapore to do his ATPL conversions and FAILED them. They sent him back to Australia and the last I heard from this guy QF were yet to contact him regarding "work placement" that was 1-2 years ago! He had an attitude very similar to your's jetrider. Except he openly told everyone that he was only "interested in aviation because of the money and the easy ride {refering "aviation" to "the airline" (QF) and "easy ride" to "once im in, im in"}.

Its obvious that we wasnt going to last long at all, and he didnt.

So regardless to which ever path you take in aviation (or any industry for that matter) you will need to work hard!

Adopting the "once im in, im in" attitude does not work.

maybe some day you could come up and have a chat with me on my flight deck.

With an attitude like that I would not even want to be in the same room as you when you are playing flight sim :}

Much to your remorse, multi-crew and CRM do not work that way....

I wish you luck in any of your life endeavours jetrider.

My final tips; Work hard and be good to your mother ;)

Gidday :ok:

CMN

falcon996
13th Jun 2006, 08:35
rider, youve clearly struck a soft spot with a few of the people here.
just wondering what youll do if you dont get into the cadetship? if your not prepared to go through GA or go to a mediocre carrier for a few years then you probably wont survive in the program anyway.

Hugh Jarse
13th Jun 2006, 10:08
Forget about me T.D.I.

I have nothing to add to Keg's remarks;) He's covered the matter reasonably well.:E

BARON DRIVER
13th Jun 2006, 13:35
so jetwanker, will you be able to cut it in the GA world, you so love to bag, once your dreams of cadet**** are gone?

Gee just imagine, the best thing you could fly in your whole GA career could be a BARON!

Now lets see if you reply???????

ausflying
14th Jun 2006, 02:32
Jetrider, one step at a time. How about getting through the first two stages first before you worry about your flight test?

command
14th Jun 2006, 03:17
hey morno just want to know why you feel that way towards cadets. would you still feel this way towards cadets when an x cadet might be doing your check to line with an airline.

jetrider444
14th Jun 2006, 03:18
Falcon.... For your information, my dad has a friend who is the CEO of a highly regarded corporate airline and he said if I don't get into the cadetship I can have a job there! They don't operate falcons though, they are crap :ugh: :rolleyes: :=

*Lancer*
14th Jun 2006, 03:25
Uh Oh :ouch:

ausflying
14th Jun 2006, 03:48
Falcon.... For your information, my dad has a friend who is the CEO of a highly regarded corporate airline and he said if I don't get into the cadetship I can have a job there! They don't operate falcons though, they are crap :ugh: :rolleyes: :=

Well if everybody on this forum wasnt already fairly sure that you were a w@nker, they are now! :mad:

Gooose
14th Jun 2006, 04:37
Jeeeez, i think that everyone up until now who has posted a reply to this thread are :mad:

cant u see that this jetrider is just winding u guys up??

i mean why would u even bother replying...its either a. a wind up or b. hes a :mad:

obviously the guys who bag the cadetship have got nothing better to do in the spare time...........get a life all of you

onya Jetrider:D

falcon996
14th Jun 2006, 04:52
slow down dude, i wasnt dissing you, i was asking whether you would be prepared to go through GA. i dont know how good you are so for all i know you will blitz it and get in and do everything fantastically. but if you dont (which happens to a lot of people) you need to be prepared to aim a little lower.

disco_air
14th Jun 2006, 12:40
This guy cant be for real.

I have been snagged by a windup methinks!

:=

BARON DRIVER
14th Jun 2006, 13:02
Daddy, get me a job, Daddy! I want one noooowwwwwwwww Daddy!

dutch_oven
15th Jun 2006, 00:47
Well done jetrider, good wind up. Thats the best entertainment i've had for a while. :D

maxgrad
15th Jun 2006, 01:18
Keg....nicely put.
Jetwatever....excellent wind up but next time warn me, I kept spilling my coffee each time I read your posts. (If you are for real?? well. Speak to Keg, he has done that road and from his posts here and elsewhere is the sort of person you need to see.)

Cadets...well never did that but have seen some good ones and seen some fair on units.

attitude, experience, application.

bugga....run out of coffee:suspect:

-_HowUdoiN_-
15th Jun 2006, 01:31
He sure got a few people I wouldn't have thought would fall for it!

Nice one jet!! :} :ugh:

Woomera
15th Jun 2006, 01:48
jetrider. Early in this thread you had my sympathy however that has rapidly dissipating.

To the rest of you, a little humour is great, however no further slagging!! :mad:

I have a new icon which I’m just busting to give it a test drive!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Closed.gif

Sunny Woomera

command
15th Jun 2006, 02:06
great wind up jetrider, but are you really going to apply for the cadetship, if you are i wish you the best of luck.

Captain Bogus
15th Jun 2006, 02:07
you've just been punked- team wind-up

jetrider444
15th Jun 2006, 02:16
Ha, at least some of you guys can have a bit of a laugh at the end, Baron Driver......its ok to smile sometimes. :)
See you all soon, another time, another profile, another wind up

IORRA
15th Jun 2006, 04:18
Good stuff Jetrider, and at a time when pprune was getting a little cadetship-cosy too!

Keg
15th Jun 2006, 18:57
Wind up or not, you're still a wacker and a clown! :rolleyes: