PDA

View Full Version : DJ 579 out of Canberra - Engine Problem

wrxflame
7th Jun 2006, 00:15
Hi all,

I posted in main forum trying to find out more about this incident last Friday evening on the VB 5:45pm flight from Canberra to Adelaide.

I have a friend at work who was on the flight and hoped he could find out what the cause was.

It seems that bird strike was the most likley cause.

See for more details:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229076

Thanks in advance.

apacau
7th Jun 2006, 00:26
Hi

I was also on the aircraft (VH-VBO), and whilst reasonably serious, the description you give is greatly embellished (no screams, no flames etc), which is sadly rather typical of incidents in Australia these days, thanks mainly to the media.

I'm not going to give more details on this forum other than to confirm it was a birdstrike. I'll leave it to others, if they like, to give more info.

wrxflame
7th Jun 2006, 00:42
Thanks for the confirmation of bird strike apacau.

Maybe the use for the word "screams" was a bit strong but the lady concerned (not the whole cabin) did see flames from the engine according to Gary who was sitting three seats to her left, but I'd guess they would last only a matter of moments.

It was not my intention to over dramatise the situation just tell the story and hope to find out a little more.

Regards
Andrew

Dookie on Drums
7th Jun 2006, 08:33
Yes poor old VBO copped a bird strike or two that night out of CBR.

Engineers pulled a 6kg swan out from the trailing edge flaps and one or more passed through the engine.
Several blades and stators were replaced as well as various other affected parts and engine was run with vibration levels within limits but not that good overall. It's been a few days since I was at work but last I heard was that it could very well be a new donk.

Interestingly, the strike could be heard from within the terminal when it happened!

Eastwest Loco
7th Jun 2006, 09:34
Ahah!!!

So Virgin Blue is touting for the Japanese market.

Live swan pate should go down a treat at $10,000 a serve.

Sort of a honk bang grind splat thing.

Lucky the birds did not impact the windscreens.

Pleased to hear the crew and SLF on VBO suffered no more than a fright. The swan lobby is however looking at class action.

Best all

EWL

Blackdog11
7th Jun 2006, 12:13
Good job by the VB crew

best giggle I've had today EWL

cheers
BD

wrxflame
7th Jun 2006, 14:40
Thanks for the replies, an very interesting story, best of all it had a happy ending.

I did read else where on here that some birds can fly at amazing altitudes, I have certainly learned a thing or two on the subject.

Sounds expensive for VB (or it's insurer) if an engine did need replacing.

Regards
Andrew

PLE Always
21st Jun 2006, 09:58
I did read else where on here that some birds can fly at amazing altitudes, I have certainly learned a thing or two on the subject.

Here's a bird strike story, middle of the night on descent to 1000' over the South China Sea >50Nm from land heard a LOUD thump, looked at the other pilot then heard another LOUD thump that I'm sure I felt through the controls.

We RTB'd to discover we'd hit two birds one of which had perfectly hit the 3-4cm vent hole on the front of the spinner on #2 and pasted itself all over the spinner and dome inside. That was to be the first of four straight sorties with bird strikes on each! :ouch:

Interestingly some people that I fly with now beleive landing lights on helps to avoid birdstrikes? I've also heard some people seriously suggest that ground firing a radar can clear a runway of birds? Who knows?

PLE...

wessex19
22nd Jun 2006, 00:37
PLE Always; 1000 ft above the drink over the South China Sea at night, I am assuming you were either flying a P-3C or you have big balls!!!!:D

PLE Always
22nd Jun 2006, 09:55
:E Got me!

Woomera
22nd Jun 2006, 10:07
Classical EWL!!! :} :}

Sunny Woomera