PDA

View Full Version : Military time conversion

grungebug
6th Jun 2006, 23:36
New to this site so I apologize for being naive. For the Cathay app have any US military guys out there added .2 hours to each sortie they have flown to compensate for our way of tracking flight time. We log flight time from takeoff to landing + 5 min instead of hobbs. Does it even matter? I know that when applying to FedEx this is taken into account. Any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering how US military pilots are seen in the eyes of Cathay. Thanks.

hog tied
6th Jun 2006, 23:45
I don't think they do that here.

VVJM265
7th Jun 2006, 00:18
New to this site so I apologize for being naive. For the Cathay app have any US military guys out there added .2 hours to each sortie they have flown to compensate for our way of tracking flight time. We log flight time from takeoff to landing + 5 min instead of hobbs. Does it even matter? I know that when applying to FedEx this is taken into account. Any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering how US military pilots are seen in the eyes of Cathay. Thanks.

I did exactly that (0.2/sortie); on the resume I sent with the app, I had a note under the flight hours section, also addressed it again in the cover letter. Made sure that all the hours listed matched on the both resume & application. Got the call back about a two months after I sent the app in. Chomping at the bit for the interview. See also: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=984690&postcount=68

Good luck to you,
VVJM265

hog tied
7th Jun 2006, 03:15
I wouldn't just assume you should do that, unless you specifically were asked to. I am fairly certain most people won't do it unless specified. It's easy enough to ask... but obviously it didn't hurt you...

gliderboy
7th Jun 2006, 03:42
In Australia we had adopted the same procedure which was approved by our Aviation authorities.

I never had to do it myself as I already had enough hours but as long as you can justify the correction (and highlight it to them), I am sure Cathay won't mind.

Keep in mind Cathay has probably the highest percentage of pilot's with a military background than any other airline, I think you won't be the first to correct your logbook.

In Australia we only added .1 though

Gliderboy

ps Oh and I DON'T work for Cathay (just yet)

petitfromage
7th Jun 2006, 10:47
Cathay make an 'allowance' for military time. They know that military pilots (fast-jet) have less total flight time in their careers. They also know that they fly more sorties to get those hours.
They also know that military logbooks are certified correct every month!

I added the 0.2 correction to my 1st application....then quite frankly couldnt be bothered working it out.

In my interview my hours summary was less than the initial application!! I explained the discrepancy and was told "dont bother, we are aware of military time and make allowances for it."

The chap also passed comment that "rounding up" and "thick pencilling" of civil logbooks was not unknown and that they looked carefully at peoples age, background & employer vs the hours they claimed to have.

I assumed my interviewer was ex-military...in fact he was not.

He mentioned 2 nationalities in particular that they were weary of but I see no need to mention them here! I only add the comment to emphasise that Cathay are aware of some of the quality vs quantity issues involved in precise logging of flight-time.

rhinodriver
12th Jun 2006, 06:03
Just kidding. They view US Mil very favorably as a starting point. You still have to WOW them in what is probably the most demanding interview process you will ever see. I didn't add the conversion and got hired for DEFO with about 2500.