PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Stab Fuel tanks on /400

rumpus
6th Jun 2006, 23:31
I was asked during a recent interview: Why does the /400 F not have the horizontal stabilizer fuel tanks? I guessed a few times and gave up. Never did get the answer. Anyone?

Dan Winterland
7th Jun 2006, 03:17
There's just no need for that much fuel in a freighter. If you're going to load it up to the full mark, you're severely restricting payload. It's much better to fly it for about 9 hours and refuel - you can carry a full load.

Sqwak7700
7th Jun 2006, 03:50
That is correct. Just think of how much room is taken up on the plane for passengers, and how little passengers weigh. The belly can still hold freight, but there is also some room for passenger bags.

A fully loaded 400 crossing the pacific might weigh in at around 250T, so it leaves room to spare for extra fuel to make the long flight (stab tank). Where as a fully loaded 400F going from HK will often fill up to the max 285T ZFW, only leaving about 110T for fuel, therefore having less range. :}

ataboy
7th Jun 2006, 16:14
Hi:

Any help with the questions they are asking this month to add to the gouge??

extreme P
7th Jun 2006, 18:37
Pm me your email ataboy. I think I can help...

Moose66
8th Jun 2006, 19:11
Thank you extreme P for the latest and most comprehensive gouge:D
If only this were the extent of the interviewer's knowledge we might all survive the ordeal:bored:

biccy
9th Jun 2006, 14:00
I believe the Horizontal Stab Fuel Tank was designed to move the CG aft and therefore reduce the drag in flight. This in turn will allow an aircraft to either fly farther with the same amount of fuel or not have to carry as much fuel.
This answer worked for me?:)
Read "Flying the big jets" or the JAA/CAA Performance exam notes, nearly every question asked was in there.

Good luck

GSTQ.................