PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lankan

MidlandDan
6th Jun 2006, 21:40
Hello all,

Im flying LHR-CMB-NRT in economy in September, well i have yet to book it but im 99% certain that will be my choice....fare is very cheap.

Has anybody flown on Sri Lankan in economy recently, ive heard mixed reviews, also whats Colombo airport like as i have an 8hr stopover there good amenities? Expensive? etc etc

Any help appreciated

Desert Diner
7th Jun 2006, 04:18
I've flown them a few years ago, both on the 330 and the 340 in business as well as economy.

Can't say much for economy other than it has reasonable seat pitch. Nothing to write home about but at least you don't have the feeling of being in a sardine tin.

As for the airport, I'm not sure if there are any amenities. Just a seating area to wait and get on the plane. Not sure I would like to spend 8 hours there unless the ticket was very cheap.

lexxity
7th Jun 2006, 09:32
I flew in the 340 in 1999 in economy and it wasn't bad at all, seat pitch was good and the food not too bad. Colomobo airport had pretty much nothing then.

apaddyinuk
7th Jun 2006, 12:19
Colombo has a new terminal extension. I have not yet been in it but does give the airport a slightly more modern less "south asian" feel to the layout!!!

renfrew
7th Jun 2006, 18:57
If you are there in daylight it would probably be very cheap to hire a taxi for a few hours to have a look round.I think there are beach resorts within reach of the airport.

MidlandDan
7th Jun 2006, 20:36
Well im planning on taking the 2135 flight out of LHR getting to CMB about 1300 and then flying onto NRT at about 2030 (IIRC)

...would i be able to leave the airport if i was connecting onwards though??

As long as the airport is kind of clean with somewhere to sit it shouldnt be too bad hopefully :)

dogwhistle
7th Jun 2006, 21:51
I have just spent 18 months working in Sri Lanka at Colombo's domestic airport on the other side of the city but flew in and out of the country many times during that period. Sri Lanka is a reasonably good airline with comfortable economy seating. Some of their aircraft have a small section at the front of economy with about 8 rows of seats. It is separated from the main economy cabin and gives you a bit more relief from the usual economy noise etc. Well worth asking if this is the case on your aircraft. The intl airport has been extensively rebuilt and extended and is now quite pleasant and clean on the airside but like all airports its not the best place to spend 8 hrs. I suggest you clear immigration and take a taxi to the Mount Lavinia Hotel where you can relax in one of the best hotels anywhere. It is about 1 hour drive from the airport but you would pass around the outskirts of the city so would get a look at the local scene on the way. Fare would be approx USD20 each way so don't let them charge you more than that. The food and drink is very cheap and very good and you will be able to use the pool and their private beach for about USD5.00 for as long as you like. I would suggest you take a small bag with you for a change of clothes and swimming gear if that's what you like. If not, it is very pleasant to just sit and enjoy the surroundings. Check if there is a full moon on the day you travel!! If so then it is a bank (and religious) holiday in Sri Lanka and no alchohol can be sold by law anywhere except for small house bars in the big hotels and that is only for full guests.
Best of luck.

Big Harvey
10th Jun 2006, 00:21
Hello all,

Im flying LHR-CMB-NRT in economy in September, well i have yet to book it but im 99% certain that will be my choice....fare is very cheap.

Has anybody flown on Sri Lankan in economy recently, ive heard mixed reviews, also whats Colombo airport like as i have an 8hr stopover there good amenities? Expensive? etc etc

Any help appreciated

I've flown with them from LHR to CMB a few times, and in my opinion they are one of the best airlines in terms of comfort, service, leg room, and value for money. Comfort levels do vary a bit according to the age and type of aircraft, and it seems to be a bit of a lottery as to whether you get one with that distinctive 'new car smell', or one that feels as if it's been around a bit, and offers fractionally less leg room. The cabin staff generally look after you really well, and ensure you're well supplied with drinks.

Unfortunately, Colombo Airport is not the nicest or most comfortable place to spend 8 hours, and it's not exactly convenient for the city, either. Getting into the city can take an hour and a half plus of sitting in chaotic traffic jams, and I definitely wouldn't recommend going into central Colombo on an 8 hour stopover.

The good news is that CMB Airport is only a short ride on fairly quiet roads to the beach resort of Negombo. Whilst it's true that Sri Lanka has much nicer resorts, Negombo does have some good, affordable restaurants and a passable beach, as well as pubs selling cheap beer, even on Poya (full moon) Days, when alcohol sales are banned in much of the country.

When you're ready to head back to the airport, if you want to save money, (as your post suggests you do), take a tuk-tuk (3-wheel autorickshaw) rather than a taxi. If you're not sure how much one should cost, ask a local, and fix a price with the driver before getting in. Negotiate hard! Try to flag one down, rather than using one of the many which hang around waiting to to take foreigners at double the proper fare.

Good luck!

Desert Diner
10th Jun 2006, 05:10
Have to agree with Harvey. Geting betwen Colombo and the Airport is chaotic at best. Even with "light" traffic on those roads, it can take more than two hours. There is no such thing as a motor way there.

One more thing, even the outrageous tourist fares are dirt cheap compared to anywhere else.

I Just Want To Fly
13th Jun 2006, 00:02
Flew UL to MLE, and was very happy. Better than EK, who I flew on the return journey.

CMB is pretty basic, but there are day use rooms available. You can have a sleep and a shower. I would go into town. I stayed at the Galle Face. Very stunning colonial style hotel overlooking the Indian Ocean. Massive rooms, but I can't remember the price.

Ask your travel agent about UL's STPC program. They often provide complimentary hotel accommodation if you have a long transit, but it depends on the fare and the length of time you are transiting for.

StarWinder
15th Jun 2006, 10:41
New terminal at Colombo is definitely a huge improvement over the previous offering, but still not ideal for long stopovers. If you have enough time (and as some other posters have suggested) take a break at one of the hotels in the vicinity. I usually stay at Tamarind Tree, just 10 minutes away and a wonderful colonial-style resort. Rooms are grouped in twos or threes in individual bungalows, with a swimming pool in centre of grounds. Good bar, too.

As for UL, I use them frequently and whilst never a disaster, I find their offerings rather dependent upon cabin crew. Seat pitch and comfort OK even in Y class. Food: I have often wondered whether anybody in their flight kitchen knows how to cook anything (really: anything) else other than saffron rice with rubbery lamb (or is it mutton/camel/donkey)? Drinks: beer or wine not always volunteered, but forthcoming if you ask for it.

MidlandDan
15th Jun 2006, 21:54
Thanks for all the replies!

Well, im still looking around for the flights at the moment, havent booked any as yet, i think UL will be a choice purely for the cost factor. As long as Colombo airport is clean, safe and there are some shops/cafes etc then 8hrs shouldnt be too bad.

I keep hearing good thinks about Sri Lankan so i have faith in them.....i think :)

wanderin_star
16th Jun 2006, 13:25
Last time I enquired about a Sri Lanka Airways flight that involved transit stop in Colombo I was offered a hotel room for the day at no extra cost. Its worth enquiring about when you book ticket, might be something you have to request but not volunteered.

MidlandDan
2nd Jul 2006, 11:22
thankyou for the replies everyone!

So far it looks like me and the girlfriend will be flying out on UL506, arriving in CMB at 2:00am. Therefore we are eligible for the hotel option until our onward flight to NRT at 20:30, has any body stayed in any hotels in the area? any idea which one we might get put in? and do you think we will have to collect our baggage at CMB or should it transit through to NRT??

Thanks