PDA

View Full Version : TCAS over RIKET

maksim
6th Jun 2006, 21:16
G’day ,

Every time flying East from DXB via LALDO or TONVO SIDs I wonder what an unmoving aircraft gives a symbol on TCAS right over RIKET. Tried to see anything during daylight, but failed. Any idea ?

Dan Winterland
7th Jun 2006, 07:15
If it doesn't have a height it may be a military radar installation. Some systems such a Patriot and the shipborne AEGIS system have an IFF interrogator which looks at your squawk. If it interrogates you, TCAS shows it as a contact, in this case with no height readout.

Funk
7th Jun 2006, 08:58
it is our ground reference marker for the ssr radars for DB and the UAE ACC but don't tell anyone i told you:suspect:

maksim
7th Jun 2006, 10:06
Thank you mats for your replies, previously I guessed that it is an unmanned balloon with basic transponder, now I know that you closely watch me :cool:

320DRIVER
7th Jun 2006, 10:56
Wouldn't these ground reference txponders normally have their Mode C ALT set to an extremely high FL so they would not "conflict" with aircraft TCAS?

Nimmer
7th Jun 2006, 11:03
Would love to know what it is too. Shows on the radar, with a 4 letter code but no height info, and never moves!!

Probably something very secret, if "they" told you "they" would have to shoot you!!!!

MR8
7th Jun 2006, 12:09
Isn't that the military base near Masafi?

MR8

Fox3snapshot
7th Jun 2006, 15:20
There are a few of them in the FIR, unfortunately one has ended up right on the main waypoint on departure which has caused some grief...:ugh: