PDA

View Full Version : RAF HOLMSLEY SOUTH AND PAN AM CONSTELLATION

NMP28
6th Jun 2006, 19:59
Hello All

I have been researching the history of a former airfield near my home in the New Forest named Holmsley South. During this process I came across the story of how a Pan Am Constellation on route from New York mistakenly landed at Holmsley, which was by this time disused. The Constellations intended destinantion was Hurn (Bournemouth). I've really been struggling to find hard evidence of this event though a former Pan Am employee confirmed it did take place. Can anyone help me on this? I'd also be grateful if anyone has any other information involving events at Holmsley.

Many Thanks

jabberwok
6th Jun 2006, 21:50
It was a big airfield for its day - with a 1970yd main runway and a staff of around 3000. It was a 9th Air Force base but also used by Coastal Command.

It moved over to Transport Command after the 9th left but only very briefly - I think it closed around 1946/7.

I've no record of the Connie incident.

Data Dad
7th Jun 2006, 15:52
NMP28,

Have you read/own a copy of "The Holmsley Story" By Leslie R White? Gives an excellent history of the airfield and includes reference to BOAC ocassionally diverting flights from Hurn as well as 2 which landed at Holmsley by mistake. It also mentions the Pan Am incident as occurring a couple of months after the airfield was placed into Care & Maintenence which would put it around December 1945/early 1946.

Regards

DD

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Jun 2006, 19:32
By a remarkable coincidence I happened to be walking around Holmsley in the New Forest today - just south of Burley. Is that where this airfield used to be?

NMP28
7th Jun 2006, 20:54
Thanks to all for your replies. Your information is much appreciated. Heathrow Dircetor that certainly is a coincidence. If your walk took you anywhere near Holmsley Campsite then you were probably following the route of the former perimeter track. The campsite was constructed on the airfields pan handle dispersals. It is is possible to walk down large streches of the main runway which, despite from a short stretch, has been dug up and returned to its original state though its former location remains obvious due to the lack of vegetation down its entire length.

Cheers

NMP