PDA

View Full Version : world cup

Revolutionarry
6th Jun 2006, 16:52
does anyone have a view about staff decorating themselves and their workplaces with flags, aircrews for example flying st georges cross from the cockpit, or pushback drivers displaying it from tugs etc

ILS Repeater
7th Jun 2006, 06:28
Why Not, if that is their wish ? Whats wrong with a little national pride ?
OK so in recent years the flag of St George has been hijacked by the right-wing element, but it is our national flag, why should we not show a little support ?

ILS

boeingbus2002
7th Jun 2006, 11:33
Tony Blair to fly the flag on match days from No.10 and David Cameron has one on his bike....doesnt happen often but its a bit of a party atmosphere!

ILS Repeater
8th Jun 2006, 18:41
Please tell me, what pray is a pre-madonna ? Is it something like a post-madonna ? :confused:

I do agree however that most of the overpaid, underworked primadonas who masquerade as footballers should at least learn their National Anthem and at least attempt to join in, but then again, perhaps it's not in their contract ! :=

ILS

dadaposh
16th Jun 2006, 22:07
It would be nice to see germany winning on home soil..
Although argentina look a good bet also...
Just out of curiosity, why doesn't england have its own anthem, yet uses its own flag???? seeing as the anthem belongs to the union jack????
or is it just politics, who knows heh???
ASK AN ENGLISHMAN

boredcounter
17th Jun 2006, 21:25
Interesting choice of teams to put your money on there mate.
Funny though, I do understand where you are comming from to a degree. Every time I cross out British on a form of any description and write English, I get a funny look, like I am belittling Britain or some sort of racist!
Who was it that wanted to distance themselves first?
Back to the Origional post, check your contracts.......................
In the past I have worked for a Scandi owned, UK company. It was there in the terms and conditions. No flying of National insinia, bunting etc that may cause offence. It was right there with sexual and racial harracement!
Rumour has it, in my current German owned company, one of our departments were asked to remove visible support for the English team..................................... Down the corridor in the office of the German national airline................................................Georg e Cross bunting..................................You figure:ugh:
Bored
PS dada, we do have a National Anthem, it's the same as it has always been. We have never had course to change it. God bless her, here's to another 53 years. If not God save the King! It's others that get thier new anthems, not us.

dadaposh
18th Jun 2006, 11:45
Thank you ever so for your reply bored?
I'm sorry for missing it, but I just can't work out your answer to my simple question.
Anyway not really the point of my original post.
As for the world cup, I am getting warm with Argentina after 2 games.

Revolutionarry
27th Jun 2006, 23:32
I heard that Asda attemted to ban it's lorry drivers from flying the cross of st george, until it was shamed into repealing this on national radio, also just for the record I find it interesting that St George and the Dragon acctually origeonates in Germany, actually it all happened on a hill near Bonn called the draconfelds (drajon fell) a long time ago and was brought over to England about 1000 years ago.
He has been working as a D.O. for the circus ever sinse and will be until Netto buy the land.

clicker
28th Jun 2006, 00:30
If the way they sing is anything like the football England have played so far, I for one, am glad they havn't open their mouths!

At least they are winning but not sure how long that will continue unless they improve a great deal better than currently.

Hirsutesme
28th Jun 2006, 13:29
Saskatoon, you obviously watch different matches to me. When England played Ecuador, only Wayne Rooney wasnt singing.

As for display of flags, whilst there is no ban per se on flying flags from cockpits, other than genral duty to take reasonable care, I would have thought the possibility of flags being sucked into engines would prohibit it.

dadaposh
3rd Jul 2006, 22:38
ssshhhhh
the silence is killing me.

take it this thread closed for 4 years