PDA

View Full Version : QATAR AIRWAYS

5th Jun 2006, 12:42
Hi wondering if anyone has any input or advise about working for QATAR AIRWAYS .. whats it like , lay overs ,time down route , conditions, pay , life in QATAR.. be greatful if you could shed some light on some of this for me. Thanks. :)

apaddyinuk
5th Jun 2006, 16:03
700105...If you do a search with the search tool you will find lots AND LOTS about Qatar Airways, most of which is true. As former crew for them myself I would highly recommend you not even consider this company. Its not a nice airline to work for and certainly not one you would want to start a career in aviation in.

hawaiianhosty
5th Jun 2006, 19:18
i worked for them 2001-20012..loved every minute...lived out there and had great accommodation. Very hot weather and we did our 8 week training in the middle of July so it was unbearable..Great nightlife, low crime rate etc etc..excellent..I highly recommend flying for them..They are HOT on appearance and safety preocedures and locations on aircraft type..no excuses and the odd randome breathaliser test before flights..good lick

6th Jun 2006, 14:00
700105...If you do a search with the search tool you will find lots AND LOTS about Qatar Airways, most of which is true. As former crew for them myself I would highly recommend you not even consider this company. Its not a nice airline to work for and certainly not one you would want to start a career in aviation in.

Thanks for your quick repsonse and feed bac kwell received. Can you lead me to more info about QATAR from other cabin crw as I am unable to find it. Why is it not a nice airline to work for exactly. Pay , what is that like and the over nights e.t.c. time down route ... woul greatly appreciate it if you could elaborate .Thanks for your time . cheers 700105

slowjaxx
7th Jun 2006, 08:47
I got a job as cabin crew with QR. Minus the living standards of Qatar. I need to know the working conditions with QR.

The salary over the years working with QR.:ok:
The opportunity of promotions with QR.
The cabin crew interactions with each other.
The roster pattern for QR.

For crew who have been there with left the airlines, would appreciate if you could shed some lights on this issue.Any informations regards to QR will be great help.:\

FYI, I was a cabin crew with an asian airlines, left in 2003 and was offered as QR cabin crew. I need to have some informations before I make my decison to go the the ME and regret....Thanks to all the kind soul.:O

Hardynet
9th Jun 2006, 14:04
Hi all,
I am quite new to this forum. I will have an interview at Qatar Airways in Doha in 2 weeks for a corporate/office job in the fields of marketing.
Is someone around who can give me some advice about the interview procedure? What are the doīs-what are the dontīs`??
And: how about the benefits for non-flying staff..
I will be thankfull for every information..

Many thanks, Hardynet

ghandou
10th Jun 2006, 17:53
Qatar is a great place, although it does resemble a large building site at the moment due to the last minute rush of the Asian Games, but all in all, a good laugh.

However Qatar Airways...oh dear. If you paid me all the money in the world I wouldn't work for them. They push for quality and do provide a a semi-good service, but only at the expense of crew's wages and basic human rights. The CEO is a horrible little man that ressembles Hitler and likes to keep control on every aspect of his little regime. I would seriously consider working somewhere else and sit back and watch Hitler's little empire crumble :oh:

hawaiianhosty
12th Jun 2006, 09:05
Okay, anyone is welcome to pm me if I don't manage to answer all your questions..I'm british so will say how much I earned in pounds, even tho we got paid in qatari riyals, it just makes it easier for me to understand if what i was earning was good or crap etc.. The training is thorough with drills and exams nearly every day..We had around 15 on my course and we all got on like a house on fire..we were living and training togther every day for 8 weeks so we had a great friendship between ourselves.. We trained every day except fridays which is holy day so we had a day off..We'd all go out thursday nights to the Sheraton and have drinks and dance etc..fridays we'd go to the malls, shop, eat out or sunbathe by the pool..me and my co british trainees did anyway..

I got my wings finally and then 2 days later 9/11 happenend but our jobs were safe..

We had layovers regularly and the 9 day bangkok with the internal turnaround to manila came around every 6 mths and you can request certain flights with your friends if you wish..The more layovers you do, the more you'll get paid..

On average, bearing in mind this was 2001-2002 I was earning (no tax remember) around Ģ1300 a month no outgoings as accommodation is all paid for..paid in riyals into my qatari bank account..They have a huge HSBC out there which I was a member of in the UK so I could transfer my money into there and then into my UK account if I wanted.

Qatar is a nice place, well in my opinion..The malls are clean, people friendly, taxis so cheap, no crime..The only thing that bothered me was the stares off the arab guys..single white female and they're obsessed..but they would never touch so I got used to it..

It was easy to swap flights if you wanted and bear in mind the rostering dept swap your rosters around weekly so keep checking to changes in schedules..

Akhbar Al baker is like someone said a little hitler but he is hot on professionalism and I took pride in working with professionalism..Yes, theee was the odd occasion when a girl got fired for having a button missing on her jacket, a girl got grounded to the business lounge til she'd lost weight and there were breathaliser tests done..4 girls got sacked on new years day due to still being intoxicated...so bear in mind..these people take no sh*t from anyone and there's no such thing as unfair dismissal or 2nd chances..

I left for personal reasons, I met a guy out there (american), fell in love blaha blah blah and moved back to the UK but I miss qatar every day and we're hoping to move back out there or dubai as it would be great to bring up our 18mth old son..great health care, education and no crime..If it wasn't for meeting my hubby I'd still be flying now and maybe for the emir...:p

If you don't try it you'll never know but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm glad to say, even now that I'm married and have a son, that I saw the world, my other mates haven't done that!!

Good luck and pm me with any questions, however silly they seem to you..xx

ghandou
12th Jun 2006, 09:38
hawaiianhosty is right, those were definitely the good days in Qatar. The social life was good, the sun was good and in general life was perfect.

The change in Qatar came with the push for the Asian Games. Hawaiianhosty you wouldn't even recognise Qatar now, the crime rate is soaring as the population increases, nothing is cheap (well, fags are still QR5.50) but taxi's have been converted to "Limo's" now, minimum QR50 a ride. Rent is 4-5 times more than it used to be (min QR8,000), food has gone up, beer prices have gone up (Syndicate prices tripled since Qatar Airways took it over), the Sheraton bar is unheard of these days with the majority of people going to the Pearl (very plush, very expensive), the list goes on. You could say, unfortunately, that Qatar has really lost that unique charm that it had back at the beginning of the millennium.

Almost in unison, as Qatar is going downhill, so is Qatar Airways. The CEO was always prized on his professionalism, but now I wonder if he's borderline control freak who's losing the plot. Someone who cuts already poor wages, treats staff terribly and will not listen to reason whilst having a temper tantrum sounds to me like the man they've just removed in Iraq :O

It's amazing how much can change in 4 years. I lived in Qatar for 26 years, it was my home and where I grew up, I left at the beginning of this year as it has become so unfamiliar to me. I wouldn't say don't move to Qatar, it still has its treasures (if you can afford them), but I would, with a heart of passion, say...DO NOT WORK FOR QATAR AIRWAYS! Good luck.

hawaiianhosty
12th Jun 2006, 11:00
wow!!! I had no idea, Thanks for posting that..maybe I was holding on the good memeories and that's what's made me wanna move back but i guess nothing stays the same forever..oh the good old sheraton..will miss it but |i have the memories..sorry you came to dislike it.

guille727
27th Jun 2006, 22:26
Hey hawaiianhosty you have a private message!

apaddyinuk
28th Jun 2006, 13:12
Hawaiian, I worked for Qatar Airways from 2002-03 and I still have family and friends working there. It really is going from bad to worse. It was not so bad when I first joined but by the time I left I noticed a significant difference in the attitude of its staff, managers and the people of qatar towards Qatar Airways crew. I can remember being at a Shaggy concert in Doha and getting the oppurtunity to be a "groupie" and head up to the penthouse in the Ritz with the band, as I was on my way up some random stranger came up to me and said that Al Baker was going to be there and if I cared about my job I should not go!!! This is not the effect a normal CEO would have on a company, its staff and a country.

Flying Fairy
28th Jun 2006, 19:39
Just wondering about applying to these as worked for Gulf Air last year and keen to return to the Middle East and long haul. Does anyone know if all crew fly international straight away as the adverts for crew all say Intra Gulf - Qatar - Doha. Is it a similar place and set up to Bahrain?

Thanks!

homesick rae
29th Jun 2006, 09:00
Hawaiian Hosty:

No such thing as unfair dimissal?????? Sorry, but I know of at least 10 cases!! AAB does nothing fairly...

Cheers

HR

Kirstie
29th Jun 2006, 15:28
Hawaiian Hosty:

No such thing as unfair dimissal?????? Sorry, but I know of at least 10 cases!! AAB does nothing fairly...

Cheers

HR

I agree with HR on this one! AAB never does anything fairly nor does he care about his very hard working staff (perhaps with one exception?). Everbody puts their souls into their jobs and receive nothing in return.

Hope everyone is doing well. The staff of QR deserves much better than what they had put up with and presently are putting up with!

Kirstie

Kirstie
29th Jun 2006, 16:20
The funny bit is.. I worked for QR a couple of years ago, resigned and went home. Last year, I actually re-applied (I was more or less desperate at the time) and they declined my application! Don't they want rejoiners? Many airlines would love have their ex-crew coming back to them!

Kirstie

Boeing787
20th Jul 2006, 23:03
Hi all,
I am quite new to this forum. I will have an interview at Qatar Airways in Doha in 2 weeks for a corporate/office job in the fields of marketing.
Is someone around who can give me some advice about the interview procedure? What are the doīs-what are the dontīs`??
And: how about the benefits for non-flying staff..
I will be thankfull for every information..

Many thanks, Hardynet

Dear boy, buy a new pair of reeboks and run for your life anytime you see Qatar Airways. They should call it snake airways or A.A.B = Air. A. B

I know most wouldn't agree but Etihad or Emirates is a much better choice to work for. I know so coz I left when the going was bad and joined EY. Never made a more sane decision in my life. Things are still a bit shaky here and lots of promises not met, but you know what, the airline is only 3yrs in the making. Give them time to learn and progress.
Even if they paid only 1,500AED a month, its still better than working for QR.

corona2006
23rd Jul 2006, 08:40
Dear boy, buy a new pair of reeboks and run for your life anytime you see Qatar Airways. They should call it snake airways or A.A.B = Air. A. B

I know most wouldn't agree but Etihad or Emirates is a much better choice to work for. I know so coz I left when the going was bad and joined EY. Never made a more sane decision in my life. Things are still a bit shaky here and lots of promises not met, but you know what, the airline is only 3yrs in the making. Give them time to learn and progress.
Even if they paid only 1,500AED a month, its still better than working for QR.

Qatar Airways = Hell...........:bored:

starrr
3rd Aug 2006, 09:12
Anymore replies???? Because I'm about to got training at Qatar Airways this Oct 2... I already passed all the requirements..

Up n Away
3rd Aug 2006, 22:48
Im afraid I agree with the bad image that others are portraying bout QA. I use to fly in Oz then when the airline collapsed, I paid my own way to Qatar (AUD$2100) to secure an interview. I was desperate and in crisis mode:{ After all that (and in the middle of summer) I sit through a one on one interview and get told "if your interested, call me from Oz"...well of course I am interested, I just spent $2100 to get here...d:mad: h:mad: !! I spent another 2 days waiting for my return flight home. I did some investigation work and located the hotel that some current trainees were staying at. Best thing I did. I flew home not feeling like it was a waste of money, but the best $2100 I had ever spent. Stopped me from making a big mistake.:D

The place is restricted, crew are restricted, like getting permission to leave whilst on days off. No-one I spoke to seemed happy in the training.:*

Then I was offered a position with Gulf Air, yes some may say same **** different shovel. But Bahrain is alot easier to live than Doha, also the company is not like working for the military.

I have friends working for Etihad and Emirates, we all compare war stories. Each of us in different places with different airlines, but all working under similar conditions and of the same opinion.."STAY AWAY FROM QATAR AIRWAYS".

My friend who use to work with me at Gulf Air is now with Etihad and said she had 2 girls in her training from Qatar, they were so excited at the freedom and relaxed approach. Apparently the crew expectations are ridiculous.

All I can say is Etihad, Emirates and Gulf Air are all recruiting madly. There is no reason why you should'nt apply and try other options. I can almost guarantee you wont be disappointed with the outcome.

Any more info required, please ask. Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear, but it is my honest experience.