PDA

View Full Version : OOOoo..look hurry and get a Dash rating...

tinpis
4th Jun 2006, 01:21
Print this page
Top End border patrol planes doubled
By PAUL JACKSON
04jun06

MORE details have been revealed about the $1 billion maritime border protection plan that takes in the Territory's Top End waters.

Surveillance Australia will put more large aircraft into the air and they will have a hefty range of new electronic equipment on board to search for illegal fishing boats, people smugglers, drug runners and missing vessels.

The aircraft will also be able to monitor other sea and air incursions in Australia's exclusive economic zone.

Acting in both civil and military roles, the aircraft will also keep an eye on suspected terrorist activity.

The border protection scheme will also be the world's biggest civil coastwatch operation.

For the operation, Surveillance Australia will double its aircraft fleet of Bombardier Dash aircraft to 10.

The planes will be fitted with new-generation electro-optics and sensors which will have a 96 per cent probability of finding targets 50 nautical miles away.

The new electronic equipment will have greater range and enable crews to detect significantly smaller targets.

The aircraft will provide 24-hour all-weather surveillance in the economic zone extending 200 nautical miles from the coast and each aircraft will have a search capacity of more than 110,000sq km on a single mission.

The Dash 8 fleet would include four longer-range versions for longer missions.

As reported earlier this month pilotless planes will also patrol Territory waters in the fight against illegal fishermen.

Coastwatch will operate the so-called drones by remote control, probably from Darwin.

But officials in Canberra have declined to give details.

They said where the UAVs --- unmanned aerial vehicles -- would be stationed was "classified information".

The Federal Government will spend $9 million over the next two years trialling the drones.

The drones, already used by the US military in war zones, will carry radar and hi-tech sensory equipment able to spot and film suspect boats at high altitudes.

The planes are part of the Federal Government's desperate search to find cheaper ways to hold back the incursion of illegal fishing boats in to northern waters.

UAVs can be as light as 25kg and be launched by hand or catapults.

http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,19357570,00.html

Lord Snot
4th Jun 2006, 09:32
The Dash 8 fleet would include four longer-range versions for longer missions.What fun.... five, six, seven hour missions flying in straight lines back and forth over the ocean while the techs in the back do all the interesting stuff! Will they at least install a chin turret 30mike for the drivers???

The drones, already used by the US military in war zones, will carry radar and hi-tech sensory equipment able to spot and film suspect boats at high altitudes.Sadly, unlike the US predators, ours will most certainly NOT be equipped with Hellfires to finish the job, after location and identification of the SIEVs...

Maybe the hardpoints will carry containers of cash and lawyers contact details to drop to them...... :rolleyes:

bluefly
18th Jun 2006, 14:14
Geeze snot lord, imagine if we could drop the lawyers straight on them, bonus points.....

VH-XXX
19th Jun 2006, 02:53
That's good and Qantas have dropped some of the TAS routes back to Dash 8 aircraft too...

Aussie
19th Jun 2006, 07:58
Wonder how long before Surveillance Aust start chargin for Endorsements! :confused:

Aussie

BARON DRIVER
19th Jun 2006, 11:25
Aussie,

Dont quote me, but i think Surveillance Aust already has a training bond in place for you Dash 8 endors.

I think it is min of 2yrs service after you gain the rating. Leave before this time then your up for the $$$

Was told this from an Surveillance Aust company pilot, so i guess this correct??

Aussie
19th Jun 2006, 11:53
Baron driver,

Bond is a fair call, so that they get what they paid for in return for u flying a couple of yrs...

but i was referring to the "pay yaself" out of own pocket for type rating.

Your gonna stay there a few yrs regardless.

Aussie

BARON DRIVER
19th Jun 2006, 12:09
I hope they dont go down this road??????

AerocatS2A
19th Jun 2006, 13:29
The bond is working for Surveillance, I don't believe there is any reason for them to ask for pilots to pay for ratings.

Didn't NJS recently go from pay-to-play on the B717 to a bond? A step in the right direction.

ReportReady
20th Jun 2006, 06:13
Nothing wrong with a bond. From what I've heard SA is a top organisation!