PDA

View Full Version : com port issue

windy1
2nd Jun 2006, 20:03
Trying to move waypoints etc bewteen my Garmin Etrex Legend and my pc via the supplied serial lead and using "Easy GPS" and "G7towin" .
Set to Com 1, I get " serial port could not be opened"
Set to com 2, I get "no data received from the GPS"
The etrex is brand new. My puter is running W2000. Device Manager says "device ( both Com 1 and 2) are working properly"
Can my serial ports be being used by some other programs? How to find out and stop them to check the GPS connection?

eticket
2nd Jun 2006, 22:04
I had a similar situation recently on Win XP Pro.

Problem: I needed to put an interface cable on COM 2 but after physically connecting it to the COM 2 I found that the computer wouldn't talk to it.

My solution (eventually) was to firstly confirm that COM 2 was being used by something else. I downloaded the free programme ComChk32 from here (http://www.serialtech.com/pages/comchk32.htm). After extracting/unzipping and running the programme I got a red square against COM 2 which showed that the port was talking to something else. (I used this programme to try to prove that it was the computer that was blocking me from COM 2 and not my interface cable that was faulty).

Next I realised that although I was now on Broadband via a USB modem the computer had originally been used on dial-up using a modem on COM 2. I then deleted all hardware references to the long disconnected modem and re-ran ComChk32 but was still locked out from COM 2. I then went into Control Panel and Network Connections to find my Dial Up connections and deleted my dial up Freeserve connection and re-ran ComChk32 and got a green light and tried my peripheral on COM 2 and found that it had now come to life. (I might have rebooted the computer after the deletions and before running ComChk32, I can't remember.)

I am not an expert by any means so someone else may well have a better idea but this solved my problem.

Best of luck as I fully understand your frustration.

windy1
3rd Jun 2006, 09:23
et
Thanks a million - that advice fixed it. Actually, it wasn't my dial up modem that was hogging the com port, but it was a pc-pc connection via a null modem cable which I had recently set up. I deleted that and bingo.
This forum is priceless.