PDA

View Full Version : Motor Glider in NZ

Arclite01
2nd Jun 2006, 18:38
Coming to NZ soon !

I have flown a lot of gliders and motorgliders and currently have a UK PPL (A) - that's a JAR SEP rating as well as a UK and US licence for gliders.

Question for you guys - how are motorgliders treated in NZ ? - are they classed as gliders (i.e. you fly them on a gliding licence as in the US - with a bit of additional training for the engine management) - or can you fly them as a SEP (single engine piston) type - so my UK PPL would cover it - or are they subject to a separate rating - or what ?

Any help you can give on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Arc :ok:

Speeds high
2nd Jun 2006, 20:47
Motor gliders are flown as any other glider, no licence required, and if its only got one seat then that more or less does away with any type rating. I could be wrong but i think somewhere its says in the rules you need to belong to a NZGA affiliate in order to fly, if you have a C badge then any club would be more than happy to have you as a day flyer (with a quick check out of course).

Arclite01
4th Jun 2006, 09:11
Thanks for that info.

A few other questions then:

1. Does motorglider still have a C of A like other powered aircraft, and an annual inspection like powered aircraft ? If so is the inspection done by a Licenced Arcraft Engineer or the owner or someone else

2. Do motorgliders appear othe NZ register ? all the pictures I've seen show them with ZK-XXX register letters on the side.

3. If the motorglider requires no licence as such who does the check flights ? - and do you need a medical or can you self certify your fitness to fly ?

4. Are there many aircraft flying on N registrations in NZ ? (as in the UK)

Interested as I am thinking of joining/forming a motorglider syndicate when I arrive in NZ.

Thanks

Arc

AerocatS2A
4th Jun 2006, 09:38
I believe ALL gliders (powered and non-powered) are registered in NZ. With a ZK-GXX registration. G for glider.

noooby
4th Jun 2006, 22:46
Arc,

Better clear up a few things.
ALL gliders in NZ are registered. They only need to carry the last 2 letters if, as the first 3 are always ZK-G
They have annuals and CofA inspections just like powered aircraft. Gliding is regulated by the New Zealand Gliding Association. You MUST be affiliated to the NZGA to fly in NZ (joining a club gets you that, it will be part of the membership fee). The NZGA have their own engineers who perform maintenance on the gliders. Some are licenced, some are not. They will have different classes of approval, depending on what they are allowed to do.
Ther is a licence for gliding. It is the QGP (Qualified Glider Pilot). Overseas pilots will usually be able to exchange foreign qualifications for a QGP. Check flights are done by Instructors at a club, either A, B, or C category. The NZGA assesses all instructors through their training programs. The local CAA have very little to do with the running of gliding in New Zealand. There is a medical declaration that new pilots need to complete, not sure about overseas pilots visiting. There are some N reg aircraft in NZ, but not many. If you fly an N reg aircraft in NZ, then you don't need a New Zealand licence to fly it, but itwould be a good idea to get it anyway.
If you are going to be in Auckland, there is a syndicate there with a Duo Discus Turbo that may be looking for new blood. For regulatory/licence requrements, contact the NZGA direct. www.gliding.co.nz Hope that helps :)

Arclite01
5th Jun 2006, 15:26
Thanks Nooby

That information is spot on.

Not sure yet if I am Welly or Auckland bound !

I have a UK PPL(A), with a motorglider rating, but I also have an FAA (US) PPL and a UK Glider licence !! - hopefully somewhere I'm covered...........

I'm quite interested in a Grob 109 motorglider maybe, although a Falke or similar might be a possible. I've a feeling the Discus might be a bit above my budget but you never know........

Cheers

Arc

noooby
5th Jun 2006, 17:24
Arc,

There are a couple of Grob 109's in NZ I think. I know a guy in the syndicate of the one in Auckland. He is also in the Duo syndicate. Duo shares were NZ$32,000 each if I remember correctly. 10 people in that syndicate. The Duo is very nice. I did a day at the NZ nationals in the back seat in it. Easy to fly, and well equipped. The Grob.... well, it's a grob :} 1 or 2 Janus CM around, ASH-25E, and quite a few DG400. I can get hold of the Grob guy and see if they have a share for sale if you like. Don't know of any motor gliders down Wellington way. I'm based out of Christchurch, with some property 20 minutes drive north of Omarama :) All I need now is a cheap ASW20 to refurbish.

noooby
5th Jun 2006, 17:26
By the way, I am in Norfolk at the moment. If you are ever passing through Yarmouth, come say hello

Arclite01
12th Jun 2006, 17:33
Thanks Nooby

I would but am in London preparing for move to NZ.

Expecting to go 7th Aug.

Arc