PDA

View Full Version : Channex Crew Breathalysed

Honiley
20th Jun 2001, 20:10
Anyone heard news on this...?

A300 crew breathalysed in Finland (I think!)
and Captain was found to be over the limit.

------------------
[email protected]

Journo Jim
20th Jun 2001, 20:26
There will be trouble if you are wrong!!

Haulin' Trash
20th Jun 2001, 20:34
Journo Jim - Why?

Honiley
20th Jun 2001, 20:35
Only going by what I was told Jim..that's why I was asking if anyone could back it up...

I was told by a toilet cleaner at BOH...figured it must be true!!!

Happend yesterday by the way...

ragspanner
20th Jun 2001, 21:00
Possible with the random breath testing regime that is in place in Finland. They have a 'significantly' lower 'fail' level.
I find it difficult to believe that if a flt deck crewmember had failed a test, that they would have been operating.

StressFree
20th Jun 2001, 21:08
Journo jim,
Pack it in old chap and go elsewhere, this is a rumour thread............
If its true then the details will come out on their own, I'm sick of your sort interfering on this site.

:mad:

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'

411A
20th Jun 2001, 23:35
This has been going on in the USA for years, get used to it, guys. There is no turning the clock back, i'm afraid. The one or two bad apples have tarred us all with the same brush.

Captain Windsock
21st Jun 2001, 00:00
Please note Journo Jim that if the only things that were ever said were hard facts this site wouldn't be here at all. These rumours are important for all of us who wern't in Finland yesterday to know what might be going on.

There's no smoke without fire.

Ivan Ivanovich
21st Jun 2001, 01:13
I think what Journo Jim is saying is that there is rumour and there is libel - you know, the irresponsible trash that relieves newspapers of their millions every year!

Vmike
21st Jun 2001, 01:54
From what I hear of booze prices in Scandinavia, and Finland in particular, you'd have to be on a captain's salary to be able to afford to get pissed!!

Journo Jim
21st Jun 2001, 10:08
Ivan Ivanovich is so perceptive.

Honiley's statement seems more factual than rumour. How wpuld the ordinary person interpret it? Opinion, rumour, someone else told me does not remove the responsibility for libel.

The unfortunate person involved in Honiley's posting can probably be identified as was the case in the Channel 4 programme about the BA pilots whose guilt was determined without a fair trial or hearing.

Or are there double standards in this thread?

[This message has been edited by Journo Jim (edited 21 June 2001).]

headwind
21st Jun 2001, 11:12
I am afraid it might be more than a rumour. According to the biggest daily paper "Helsingin Sanomat", (and several less worthy tabloids) yesterday the Captain of a cargo aircraft was breathalysed by the Police at HEL. The paper did not specify the airline in question.

Breathalysing, as far as I know, is not a standard procedure in Helsinki, but in this case the police was notified of the Captain's condition and an alcohol level of 0.8 o/oo was measured at the scene. This figure will be verified by laboratory tests, according to the paper.

I am sure the CAA / investigating authorities will file a report on the incident in due time.

-headwind

chubbs
21st Jun 2001, 12:05
"Another Channex incident" - or just a bit of mischief?

INKJET
21st Jun 2001, 16:21
On the same note i read to day in the report on the Queens speech, that our "new" goverment will pass new laws on the levels of alcohol allowed in pilots blood, to also included ATC personel and other safety releated employment groups, but not Doctors,Judges or MP`s!!. so much for focus on delivery "schoolsnhospitals"

Zeppelin
21st Jun 2001, 16:33
Capt W....and of course there would also be no fleet st. if they relied soley upon hard facts!

elmorejames
21st Jun 2001, 18:01
Here's a hard fact. The Channex A300 operates to/from Helsinki at weekends only. Thus if this happened on Tuesday 19th it would have been another operator.

moschops
21st Jun 2001, 18:25
Didn't happen on Tuesday, though, did it? Happened on Sunday.

Doodles
21st Jun 2001, 19:46
I've also seen it in the press today & the airline is certainly named

HalesAndPace
22nd Jun 2001, 14:35
Whichever company it was (Doodles: any more news?), they had to get a replacement pilot sent out. The flight left later that Sunday apparently.

Capt Daniel Eagleburger
22nd Jun 2001, 22:17
I believe the Channex crew involved in the F27 incident at Jersey were breathalysed. The good news is they passed!!!

barcode
23rd Jun 2001, 12:23
Re my earlier comments - on the other Channex thread - it looks like the following people now appear neither as big nor as clever as they thought they were (public apologies will be accepted here): HalesAndPace/Vmike/ragspanner/harpy/freight doggydog/Top Loadie/Ontheairwaves/Genghis McCann/Dutchie/GasHog. Thank you one and all.

Engineer
23rd Jun 2001, 18:41
Barcode
Get them in while you can eh!!!

mach78
23rd Jun 2001, 19:48
My own personal thoughts on Channel was that it is perhaps a "personalities" airline,I mean when you had a check pilot who is nicknamed the " Destroyer", what impression does that convey???

I can certainly think of another while I'm at it -who could only all to well be identified so I won't refer to her/him by name.

Certainly not necessarily the standard implied by Messr McGann.
I know of a few pilots who were shafted while there, one in particular who had given long service to them.

[This message has been edited by mach78 (edited 23 June 2001).]

ragspanner
23rd Jun 2001, 22:22
Barcode ,
i feel no inclination or more importantly ,no reason to apologise.
How you can make a connection between the successful handling of an inflight emergency & an 'alleged' incident of drinking on duty beggars belief !. I'm afraid that all this proves to me is that my original impression ,'that you have an axe to grind where this company is concerned',was correct!.

Vmike
24th Jun 2001, 02:25
ditto

Genghis McCann
24th Jun 2001, 04:35
Barcode -

Like all the other contributors mentioned in your reply, I have absolutely nothing to apologise for. You are even more foolish than I had thought from your last thread. I assume that you must have refused a job or been bombed out in the simulator because you were not up to it. Whatever the reason you are sadly mistaken.

I have never suggested Channex is perfect but they are a whole lot better than many other airlines. If these allegations are shown to be true then no rational person is going to say that Channex is a company of drunks anymore than BA is. The tone of your reply seems to suggest that because one bloke may have been incredibly foolish, somehow the whole airline is at it and your prejudices are thereby confirmed.

I stand by my previous assertion that Channex are a first class outfit with high standards and as this unfortunate bloke will find out, they will have zero tolerance of drinking and flying. As I have said previously, I wish them well as a company and have every confidence in their safe and successful future.

Top Loadie
24th Jun 2001, 22:28
Barcode
There is no way that you can compare these two incidents while trying (and failing) to justify your ridiculous comments on these two threads. Seeing as there is no chance of you ever recieving any form of apology from anyone, I guess you'll just keep quiet now. Just as you did on the previous thread!
Back to the bottom of the pond for you, ********!

---
You cannot hold a company responsible for the actions of an individual. Companies (and the authorities) have rules and procedures in place regarding consumption of alcohol and crews are well aware of these. The penalties are well known to all.

Only if this rumour does turn out to be true and if nothing is done by Channex, can we then begin to question the involvement of the company itself.

[This message has been edited by Top Loadie (edited 24 June 2001).]

shake rattle n roll
24th Jun 2001, 23:34
Why make allowances for people who are abusing alcohol. There is no difference between flying an aircraft or driving a vehicle while intoxicated. The same penalties should apply. There should be zero tolerance in the aviation industry towards individuals who are unprofessional enough as to arrive at work under the influence.

Dutchie
25th Jun 2001, 12:13
Barcode,

Let's follow your reasoning. If an individual employee breaks the company rule the company sucks??????

Well actually you might be right Barcode. I know of a Captain of Virgin who ran a red light.. Boy that must be an unsafe company... Oh, and I understand that a BMI FO smoked some dope when he was 16.. Isn't BMI an unprofessional company...

I don't know what your problem is but your limited mental capacity is starting to show...

------------------
I'd rather be flying... :)

Engineer
25th Jun 2001, 17:29
Dutchie
Beleive it is bad mannered to describe a fellow ppruner's mental ability in such a way. Can lead to confrontational issues

Try the term Mentally challenged it is so PC don't you think. ;) ;) ;)

[This message has been edited by Engineer (edited 25 June 2001).]

A and C
25th Jun 2001, 19:40
Lets get back to the thread ,i an told that it is true that a captain was tested and found over the limit ,he was however NOT channel express staff but he was on a short term contract via an agency.

I am sure that Channel express will have no truck with drinking and flying and will take the action that the situation requires.