PDA

View Full Version : Signature Luton to build new terminal

LTNman
2nd Jun 2006, 06:44
Signature has been losing market share to the upstarts at Harrods and are a little worried. It would appear that they are now going to dig deep into their pockets and build a new terminal for their customers. Rumour has it that the terminal will be built adjacent to their existing terminal, which will necessitate the removal of stand 51. Anyone care to put some meat on the bones?

specialbrew
2nd Jun 2006, 08:19
About time as well:rolleyes:

avfuelman
2nd Jun 2006, 08:36
Just curious Specialbrew, are you aware that there are three GA handling agents at STN already? Universal, Inflite and Harrods. Not much space for a SIG as well (especially with the BAA involved)

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
2nd Jun 2006, 10:59
Excellent news, however I don't think Signature have lost much business to Harrods ... on the contrary I can think of a lot of business that has moved in the opposite direction. Nevertheless, the current Signature facilities are certainly sub standard to those offered by Harrods.

Stand 51 - this hasn't existed for a couple of years at least.

The "MiniTower" - I understand that this will be demolished. Since Apron Control was disbanded 3 (?) years ago and those functions transfered to the bunker, the building has only been used as a base by the Marshallers.

LTNman
2nd Jun 2006, 15:08
Metro / Harrods have gone from nothing to a substantial operation at Luton and have spent a great deal of money at Luton on facilities. Apart from a new hangar, which has replaced the hangars rented out to Gulfstream I don’t think Signature has spent a penny in the last 15 years at Luton on passenger infrastructure or new facilities.

rightbank
2nd Jun 2006, 17:46
I dont think Signature have been at LTN for 15 years. IIRC it was operated by Magec Aviation until something like 6 or 7 years ago. Signature then bought them out.

VIKING9
2nd Jun 2006, 18:32
McAlpine then MAGEC then SIGNATURE. From the start, they've been there over 20 years in some form or another.

Daifly
2nd Jun 2006, 18:50
It's been the same people behind the handling side at Signature/Lynton/Magec for at least 10 years.

They have spent some money on upgrading their facilities internally but the outside is still a bit just-post-war. Glad to hear they're investing, they're a nice bunch.

SnowPilot
12th Jun 2006, 18:01
I was at Stand s1 this fall. It was a nice quick walk. :)

chevvron
13th Jun 2006, 09:32
If you want a new terminal, go to Farnborough instead; it's all up and running.

LTNman
16th Jun 2006, 21:19
yeh but it is only a part time FBO

chevvron
17th Jun 2006, 16:00
Operates 7 days a week during airfield opening hours; what's part time about that?

ESSEX BOY
17th Jun 2006, 17:08
Operates 7 days a week during airfield opening hours; what's part time about that?

The airfield operating hours unfortunately !

Chippie Chappie
18th Jun 2006, 10:43
Don't bother trying to get a slot on the weekend either....