PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations CASA

Ando1Bar
2nd Jun 2006, 01:28
I just wanted to point our a job well done by CASA. In December I passed my Grade 3 Instructor initial test and today (June)I received a letter. Guess what? It was the official paperwork finally stating I have an Instructor Rating. It only took seven months to mail out!

:ok: Well done CASA! Your efficiencies are amazing!

I sat my Class 1 medical a month ago, I wonder how long it will take for this to be sent out? I've noticed they took my money very quickly.

Sorry to carry on, but this is how I feel -> :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Dicko183
2nd Jun 2006, 01:44
Im Hearing you loud and clear Ando,

I am also dwelling on the ASIC issue. It has been in there so called pipeline for 6months now. And I rang a month ago to query its progress. The person I spoke to informed me that , a heap of AFP check paperwork went missing on there way to the AFP , and it was likely that mine was in that pile. I said well have you thought of informing the people that this might effect, so we can chase up submitting the forms again. And the response was we were waiting for the effected people to make an enquiry. Yeah logic in that , so if your still waiting chase it up guys.
Government agencies at there finest. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Kenneth
2nd Jun 2006, 03:03
Good to see those new fees are being spent well , on productivity and efficiency!:yuk::yuk::yuk:

Lodown
2nd Jun 2006, 03:39
Oh, come now! Take pity on the poor guys. They're all sitting around hoping for VR. No incentive and no staff allocations to do the drudgery work.

Arm out the window
2nd Jun 2006, 03:45
Dicko, I had a similar ASIC experience to you by the sounds of it. Maybe 'leaky, uncharted, dark tunnel with no light at the end and likely to collapse like the Beaconsfield mine at any moment' might be a better description than 'pipeline' in this case.

Woomera
2nd Jun 2006, 04:21
Well this Woomera applied after the 31st March.

Lodged local CASA office 4th April:

It was logged into the CASA system on the 11th April.

Sent to the AFP on the 2nd May.

Mailed Registered Post on the 19th May.

Received my post 24th May. 5 days ahead of target.

Elapsed time 36 working days = 7 weeks.

Well done, will be nice when we can get it down to that irreducible minimum, target say 3 weeks.

I was advised when I queried the length of time between lodging and forwarding to the AFP.
"I am well aware of the delays and acknowledge the process could be a lot more streamlined and efficient. To this end we have created a special group within CLARC to identify short term strategies to improve our end of the turnaround time given our current IT limitations. Once we have implemented some IT improvements we should improve even further."

In regard to pre 31 March my congratulations for handling the huge backlog at such short notice,I think it was Sept 2006 and getting it mostly right with very limited resources.:D

Give CLARC a call you will find them most helpfull if you go about it the right way. :)

Jards
2nd Jun 2006, 05:45
Woomera, as an aside what expiry date do you have on your ASIC?

I applied for mine in February, got it in the registered post today. Not too bad considering some people applied last year and don't have them, but this is the kicker, the expiry date is Jun 07!!! So I get a full twelve months validity out of my ASIC! So much for two years...

I have sent CLARC an email requesting info as to why this is so. Anyone have any ideas? Something I missed in the fine (or bold) print?

Jards

Woomera
3rd Jun 2006, 02:17
Full 2 years. May 08

I think it is timed from the date on the photographs you submit, which makes sense.

Who knows your eyebrows may have grown back together or you might have grown an ear on your forehead or something in the meantime.:p :}

archangel7
3rd Jun 2006, 10:28
CASA are doing a great job for themselves and are only thinking for there own selfish needs...CASA have become a business and a revenue and have turn out to be inconsiderable towards pilots and operators. I heard from a source that they are on a mission to save up 20 million dollars by 2010 (for whatever reasons I don’t know) so that’s why we have all these enormous charges.

CASA know that pilots are passionate about there jobs... and In the end we are the ones who pay the price…instead of us investing in an aviation career and have hopes and dreams of one day achieving our goals….. CASA has turned the table and have made investments on vulnerable defenseless pilots. Unless you've got lots of $$$$$ to back you up....You can forget about becoming a pilot

ContactMeNow
3rd Jun 2006, 11:56
I passed my FIR grade 3 early December 2005 and im yet to receive anything in the post from CASA....

If the ASIC's took 7 months and they were "priority" I would hate to see how long endorsements and ratings take!

Atleast I have the "sticky" in my logbook

CMN :ok:

DirectAnywhere
3rd Jun 2006, 12:23
I hate defending CASA but for Ando and ContactMeNow, there is no requirement for CASA to send you anything when you get any rating. You've got the sticker in your logbook, you need nothing else.

I got nothing from CASA when I got my Grade III, II or I, nothing for an instrument rating etc.

If it concerns you that much call licensing and ask for a copy of your licence to be sent out. Should take less than a week and last I heard it was still free.

I think you're making a bit of a mountain from a molehill.

ContactMeNow
3rd Jun 2006, 15:02
I hate defending CASA but for Ando and ContactMeNow, there is no requirement for CASA to send you anything when you get any rating. You've got the sticker in your logbook, you need nothing else.

I got nothing from CASA when I got my Grade III, II or I, nothing for an instrument rating etc.

If it concerns you that much call licensing and ask for a copy of your licence to be sent out. Should take less than a week and last I heard it was still free.

In no way is this a stab at you or anyone else. But picture this....You just earn yourself a new ME-CIR with Baron endorsement. You get a job flying IFR in a Baron, with only the applicable sticky strips in your logbook with nothing on your paper licence. You get ramped by CASA one day and all you have to show is your CPL (bugger left my ASIC at home :rolleyes: )

What will CASA say (unless you fly around with your logbook all the time)?

Is there and LEGAL requirement for a pilot to fly around with documentation stating they can fly that aircraft type under a certain set of rules (be it VFR, or IFR)?

I did my ME-CIR test and the ATO wanted to see my paper licence and not my logbook, even though was yet to receive my BE76, CSU and retractable endorsements on paper and only had the relevant sticky labels.

I told him it was an error on CASA's behalf and they should be in the mail shortly. 19 months after my BE76, CSU and U/C endorsement flights I received a nice new paper licence in the mail.

CMN :D

archangel7
3rd Jun 2006, 19:52
Does anyone know why it takes CASA so long?

I'm assuming it’s because of job cuts?
Surely with today's technology advances mean there's no excuse for being this slack??. Cell phones, e-mail, fax, instant messaging and text messaging are all quick, easy ways you can do business. There are other ways, too. There’s no logic to it apart from CASA being behind...

Lodown
3rd Jun 2006, 21:37
CASA and technology! Now's there's a dichotomy of thought. Then again, one slip of pilot personal information into the public arena via a computer or software blunder and someone will get hung out to dry.

Maybe the people who were in charge of setting written tests, particularly the ATPL, have been redeployed into the licensing division? They're bound to inject the division with state-of-the-art 1950's thinking.

kookabat
4th Jun 2006, 03:54
They're bound to inject the division with state-of-the-art 1950's thinking.

That's alright. It'll match nicely with all the state-of-the-art, 1950s aeroplanes we all fly!:E

apache
4th Jun 2006, 12:02
and yet, I applied for a new PASSPORT, and recieved it within two weeks!

go figure!

Ando1Bar
4th Jun 2006, 23:12

Understood, and I wasn't too worried. I actually thought I wouldn't get anything from CASA. Just wanted to point out 7 months is a bit excessive, plus I wanted to stir a bit of debate.

Jards
5th Jun 2006, 03:12
It musn't be the photo as mine was taken in Feb 06.

Will await response and let people know.

Cheers

EARTHQUAKE McGOON
6th Jul 2006, 00:17
WELL I PUT MY ASIC PAPERWORK IN ON THE 06/12/2005 AND YET TO THIS DAY I HAVE STILL NOT GOT A THIS. NO PHONE CALL, NO LETTER NOTHING. I HAVE HAD TO FILL OUT NEW PAPERWORK IN LATE JAN AND WAS TOLD THE THAT THEY WOULD FAST TRACK IT. CRAP. IF THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL FAST I WOULD HATE TO SEE SLOW. WELL IS OUT OF MY HANDS NOW AND I HOPE THAT SOMEONE LOSES THE JOB OVER THIS. THE WORST THING IS THE BLOODY LIES THAT THEY TELL. :mad:

CASA, GROW UP !!!!!!!!!!!

Googlewac
6th Jul 2006, 00:51
Just wondering, can you guys get an instructor position without having the official paperwork?

captain_cranky
6th Jul 2006, 11:07
Of course!
A past CFI of RQAC held that position for ages without a valid instructor rating. :ok:

Keep it straight
6th Jul 2006, 11:43
i used to grizzle a bit at the caa in nz. i tell you what, they are so streamlined and efficient than those:mad: over here. it is just unbeliveble. the whole asic is a big joke not to mention the 130 dollar chrismas donation for your medical. das anybody know where that goes??

radargeekgirl
6th Jul 2006, 11:59
I spoke to CASA today. After submitting my paperwork for an AVID sept last year, I got a phone call on a thursday night 6 weeks ago telling me that the AFP had lost pages 4, 5 & 6 (for example) and could I please re-submit. Apparently due to the loss it was to be fast tracked. After speaking to them today, apparently the security clearance is fine and approved as of May, CASA just haven't got around to sending it out yet as the ASIC was a priority and unless I was flying at an RPT airport I wouldn't need an AVID anyway.

I know it is only an AVID, but I think 10 months is a little excessive!

helmet fire
7th Jul 2006, 04:19
Wow you guys are lucky.

To the best of my recollection I applied in Sept 2005. I already had a Sydney Airport ASIC, so I didn't need the AFP check.
Called Jan 2006. "Told not too much longer".
Emailed Mar 2006 following advice in press notice that came with doc updates.. Response late May 2006. Told "Not much longer".

The bright side is that "not much longer" is subjective. What they consider "not long" might be considered "excessive" by us, but they are still right no matter how long it takes. Just stretch your definition of "not much longer".

Ramp Check FOI "Hello son, show us yer medical"
Happless Pilot "Oh, yer, I will be getting one soon"
Ramp Check FOI "Oh really? When?"
Happless Pilot "Not much longer now..."
Ramp Check FOI "Fair cop son, off you pop. Go commit aviation."

yeah right....:rolleyes: :8

WTSPT
9th Jul 2006, 04:33
To jards, dicko and arm out window.

If your lucky like me you might get sent two asics on differing dates, both with different expiry dates :D . I thinks they just wanted to give me a spare in case i wanted to swap one with someone else (similar to those footy cards you used to collect at primary school).

Im now eagerly waiting for a request to pay for my second asics.:}

WTSPT

THE CONTRACTOR
9th Jul 2006, 06:07
Capt. Cranky, I remember that well. How funny was it. The same CFI fell asleep on my NVFR test and failed me for not waking him up. SERIOUS! He said that instead of landing, I should of woken him up. Well FU4K me, I was concentrating on flying the F'N plane I had no idea he was asleep until he told me I had failed.
I promptly went elsewhere and passed 3 nights later.

RYAN TCAD
9th Jul 2006, 17:33
Well - i had my medical renewal 18th May.

WHERE IS MY MEDICAL CASA? - I ONLY HAVE 10 DAYS LEFT BEFORE MY DAMES 2 MONTH WINDOW FOR DELIVERY RUNS OUT!!!!!

What a friggen joke! - I will send them an invoice for my time chasing it up.

I charge $130.00 an hour by the way.

Bo!