PDA

View Full Version : Coming to an airline near you soon!!

yellowdog
1st Jun 2006, 10:40
"NEW DELHI, India -- Indian Airlines is clipping the wings of fat stewardesses and male flight attendants.

The state-run airline is warning cabin crew members that they'll be grounded if they're overweight by even a couple of pounds.

The airline's chairman told The Times of India newspaper that the cabin crew has to be presentable for the carrier to stay competitive.

Overweight crew members will be given 45 days of ground duty to shape up. They could face more severe punishment if they don't the lose excess baggage, company officials said."

Found this while searching the net the other day.

Could WW be the next one to implement this as a fuel saving measure;)

On a more serious note though, who else finds this crass and insensitive. Who says I can't do my job if I'm a couple of pounds over weight:mad:

YD

scruggs
1st Jun 2006, 10:48
I think cabin crew are the face of an airline, but will their appearance really affect the competitiveness of the airline? I thought ticket prices and quality of service was higher on the list.

Put it this way, I wouldn't care if the CC carried a few extra pounds, I'd just care about getting a cheap ticket and/or good service. But that’s just me. Perhaps some travellers wouldn’t fly on an airline where the CC were not pleasant to look at.

marlowe
1st Jun 2006, 13:44
Hope this applies to flightdeck as well!!! some rather rotund examples around.

OzzieO
1st Jun 2006, 15:01
I am sure the European airlines wouldn't and couldn't adopt such an archaic policy.

Where do you draw the line? Sack guys that start to lose their hair?

Christ thats me for the double chop - fat and bald!

Dushan
1st Jun 2006, 15:18
I am sure the European airlines wouldn't and couldn't adopt such an archaic policy.
Where do you draw the line? Sack guys that start to lose their hair?
Christ thats me for the double chop - fat and bald!
Ozzie,
big difference between fat and bald. Fat - you dis something to get there and can do something about, bald - hardly (without great expense etc.)

As un-PC this is, let's face it we are getting fat and it's not a pretty sight. Just like CC that hadn't had a haircut in weeks (moths, sometimes it seems).

If you don't look good when doing a job, the apperance (and remember perception IS reality) is that you cannot do the job well.

OzzieO
1st Jun 2006, 20:32
Dushan yes can see where your coming from. But there are large crew who probably do a better job then there slimmer co-workers.

Should we not be judged on our ability etc rather than the way we look?

missleadfoot
1st Jun 2006, 21:39
I think this proposal by Indian Airlines is absurd and their excuse "to remain competitive" is just not a valid point. Just look at the types of pax we all carry, all ages, sizes and shapes. For example some airlines have realised that some older pax prefer to be served by crew a little more senior in age than the typical stereotype of a "gorgeous young thing". I know that in Australia and the UK we have seen a break from the trend and have been recruiting people of all ages and for that matter, sizes. It simply doesn't matter anymore, personally I believe an airline that employs a diverse group of crew displays a more personable impression, crew that all pax can relate to and feel comfortable with, after all we too are human and their are a lot of skills being missed by airlines who have this ridiculous policy. However, I see nothing wrong by and it is in the best interest of employers to encourage staff to keep fit and healthy.
If this airline seriously wants to remain competitive they should probably invest in better service training or come up with some innovative ways to attract customers. Could this be that management are actually the ones failing and passing the buck to the crew? These days pax travel to get from A to B at the best price and most convenient route, surely not the size or sex of the crew.....or am I completely wrong here?

Left Wing
2nd Jun 2006, 15:52
"GLAMOUR" plays a big part in Asian airlines and cabin crew are held at the high end of this glam industry...look at the SQ girls uniform, or the PYT's in CX.
Indian aviation is waking up and taking lessons from the bigger asian players..hence the need to be "competitive"