PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA Chief makes a fool of himself on TV

MOR
1st Jun 2006, 07:32
So did anyone else see John Jones on "Closeup" tonight? For those not in NZ, he was trying to justify his total lack of action in dealing with the problems of Taupo airport, despite the advice of his own staff, airport users, ALPA, IFALPA, and so on.

How you can refuse to countenance a AFIS, surely the most basic of safety provisions, at such a busy airport is beyond me. The place deserves to have proper ATC service, never mind AFIS! And his excuse is that it is not possible on economic grounds is a joke... apparently he has never heard that safety costs money.

Time for some serious changes in the way NZ regulates aviation.

1279shp
1st Jun 2006, 07:52
Campbell Live had him lead story - after Roy Carmichael and of course Roy was spitting! He saw a Convair nearly split two chutes in two last October and hasn't heard back from CAA after a complaint.

Campbell listed AP as NZ's 10th busiest airfield for total movements - CH as busiest?

Media is obviuosly wanting something more to beat up CAA after Coroners report on Bannerman/Air Adventure, "The travelling public isn't safe the sky"

Lets see what else the media dig up +/or get delivered to them, by people with shoulder chippies/agenda/previous grizzle etc... :*

6080ft
1st Jun 2006, 07:57
Susan Wood could have done her homework a bit better. No mention of the fact that all meat bomb dropping stops when Eagle call taxing and when 30miles out. (Is it 30? - i stand corrected there). Also no mention of the fact that the jump planes don;t just drop at their own free will, they need a clearance to do so.

I am regulary in and out of Taupo and have never had a problem. I have to say though the unicom service there is definately useless though.

prospector
1st Jun 2006, 08:08
Mor,
It is not cost effective, the man even stated it in those words, and you know Swedavia is all about being "Cost Effective".

Prospector

1279shp
1st Jun 2006, 09:16
http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/safety_reports.htm

1279shp
1st Jun 2006, 09:19
http://www.caa.govt.nz/Towards_2010/International_Safety_Comparisons.pdf

MOR
1st Jun 2006, 09:27
Prospector

Quite right, thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers from sunny Waikanae!

I was only watching TV One because I was too slow switching over to the The Simpsons on Sky!!!

Mr Proachpoint
2nd Jun 2006, 00:47
An old cliche comes to mind: If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident....
:ugh:
MAPt

mattyj
2nd Jun 2006, 03:44
The truth is that JJ only goes on what a certain operator who owns AP (nickname Flappy) says. This certain operator is trying to keep his costs to a minimum obviously because he is GA, and most of the other meatbombers are the same at AP. This certain operator also has close links with an office in WNG called NZAIA or something that is a lobby group for operators and the staff spend most of their day on the phone with JJs office. That particular operator is quite media saavy and turns up often on the evening news. Damage control is already in full stride in favour of the status quo. Don't expect anything to happen quickly. This is NZ after all!!

empacher48
2nd Jun 2006, 04:42
I was only watching TV One because I was too slow switching over to the The Simpsons on Sky!!!
I agree - seems that The Simpsons on Sky is the only intelligent thing on TV at 7pm!!!
I also notice that Paul Holmes isn't saying much on Prime about the CAA, I think he knows more about the CAA than any other Media Personality! :}

TinPusher
2nd Jun 2006, 06:14
I did a flight deck famil into NZRO with JJ (Director CAA) a few years back, I think he was Chief Pilot on the HS748 with Mount Cook. The day in the Bay was murky to say the least and I learned how to use the weather radar to find Hinemoa Point which lead to the main road which he could follow to close right base, all performed to the right of the approach track and well below MDA. I was scared!:eek:
I also learned that day how little respect he had for the rules, and ATS in general. I learned he hated it when he had to touch the power levers prior to the flare because ATC made him slow up or extend track miles.
It was no surprise to me that he vetoed the recommendation of the working party that was set up to examine the issues however full credit to the Chair of the working party to follow up as he did.:D
I have no doubt that the culture at Mt Cook improved when he left and it's my opinion that the sooner the guy is gone from CAA the better.
The guy is a plonker

Kiwikid
10th Jun 2006, 03:35
I did have to chuckle at his comments on 3 that ATC in "Auckland" controlled down to "around 3500ft". Shows how up with the play he is. :\