PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia

Hartington
31st May 2006, 20:03
Just been to Jeddah for the weekend (!) on business on Saudia; an interesting experience.

The journey itself rather splits into 2 elements: the airline and the “religious”.

Saudia itself is not bad. Walking through first then business to get to my economy (sob) seat I was surprised how little differentiation there seemed to be. Sure, F was 6 across and C 7 (on a 777) but the seats looked very similar. No lie flat anywhere.

Economy seating is, well, what can I say, “adequate” (777 – 2/5/2). No better, or worse than other long haul carriers I’ve been on but, a word to the wise, if you’re in any way tall take an aisle seat. If you don’t, you’ll find you foot room impeded by an AVOD box.

Three selections of main course on the way out. I was rather “encouraged” to take the fish but that suited me fine. Nice juices. I felt the service organisation was a little haphazard but, again, no worse than many western carriers.

The AVOD itself has a range of plain vanilla offerings (both Arabic and English). Films, short features, games, Air Show, a service questionnaire and two cameras, one pointing forward; the other down. They show the forward pointing one on the main cabin screen during take off and landing.

Both flights were on time.

Now, I have to be careful about the religious aspects. It may be that some of what I’m going to report is cultural, rather than religious. Furthermore, none of it detracted from what was a positive experience but for someone who has never met such things before it provided an interesting diversion.

When I boarded I noticed a curtained off area at the rear of the back cabin. It seemed an unusually large crew rest area. Then I realised that there was an upper lobe crew rest area and that the curtained off area was a prayer room. Not only that but the Air Show kept displaying a page with a pointer to Mecca. Oh, and a recorded prayer was broadcast as we taxied/took off.

On the way out several passengers boarded dressed in white robes. I’ve since discovered they were probably on the “Umrah”. As the flight progressed so other passengers disappeared to toilets to cleanse themselves and reappear in the same white robes. This meant that toilets could be occupied for some time and were left rather damp after use.

I had not been briefed (but then who would have done that) on what to expect so I was a little surprised initially but you have to go with the flow on such occasions. It made for a more interesting flight than usual.

Immigration was no problem, baggage arrived quickly and apart from being accosted by a taxi tout, I found my way through the terminal to my hotel easily.

The Hilton is a bit of a western bubble and, despite a quick visit to downtown Jeddah late one afternoon, I don’t really feel I gained any meaningful insight into Saudi Arabia. Everyone I met was extremely friendly and helpful.

Check in for the return was fine although I picked the correct queue more by good luck than adequate signage. Having completed check in you take your bag to a security machine and then it disappears into the baggage system. The whole Saudia terminal gives the impression of having been built a good few years ago and then left alone. It works, so why change anything

In fact, compared to T3 at Heathrow which was bursting at the seams both ways, Jeddah was really rather civilised! And, talking about adequate signage I was waiting for my taxi home at LHR (outside AA premium check in) at T3 when an elderly couple approached me to ask where to check in for UA. After I had pointed them to the main building I realised how (in)adequate the signage is at that point.

To sum up, a positive experience. In fact, despite being on business, I enjoyed myself.

mutt
1st Jun 2006, 15:08
Then I realised that there was an upper lobe crew rest

What made you think that there was a upper lobe crew area?

The whole Saudia terminal gives the impression of having been built a good few years ago and then left alone. It works, so why change anything That whole airport is scheduled for renovation, but the start date keeps changing. :(

Mutt

Hartington
2nd Jun 2006, 05:34
Notices on the door leading to it and http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777family/pf/pf_osu.html

mutt
3rd Jun 2006, 03:40
Remember that these are old airplanes, they were built before Boeing offered the overhead crew rest, the door is there, but it doesnt lead UP!

Mutt

Desert Diner
4th Jun 2006, 17:58
Not sure about the prayer area. Prayer is done before boarding.

On 777 the First Class seats get relatively flat. Not the best but better then on the 747s.

What did you think of the Hilton? Its become the "in" place to stay in these days in Jeddah

Hartington
4th Jun 2006, 20:54
If I'm to be brutally honest, given that I don't speak Arabic I don't *know* I was hearing a prayer but the same recording came over as we took off at both LHR and JED and since it wasn't repeated in English I assumed it was not safety related. The tone certainly sounded like a prayer (but don't ask me to define what I mean!).

The prayer area was definitely there. It even had a sign telling you it was a prayer area and asking you not to stand in it.

The Hilton was fine. It's a big, modern, western, atrium hotel on the seafront. Room was comfortable, I had a nice sea view. The bathroom is a slightly odd shape and the WC in mine was rather cramped in a corner. Not having been there before I can't compare it with any other Jeddah hotels but compared with other Hiltons I've stayed in I felt it was well up to scratch.

mutt
5th Jun 2006, 04:20
What you heard is the Islamic "Travelers Prayer", its a prayer to keep people safe when traveling. It was originally broadcast it in Arabic and English, but they dropped the English version.

All SVA B747-400 and B777 aircraft have a dedicated prayer area in the rear of the aircraft, this can be used at any time when the seat belt sign is off.

I presume that you stayed in the 4* section of the hotel and not the 7* section? I'm still trying to find out what a 7* hotel actually offers !

Mutt

Desert Diner
5th Jun 2006, 04:26
It is the travel prayer you were hearing prior to takeoff.

As for the Hilton, all the regular rooms have the same bathroom. It gets a bit to get used to as the room is shaped like a triangle with the toilet being placed in the narrow part of the triangle.

Mutt, I've been "upgraded" to the executive floor a couple of times when they needed my room for some Saudis maid. Unfortunatey this upgrade involved getting a call just before midnight asking me if I wanted to switch.

If the 7* involves a room on the executive floors, using the executive club and the Hiltonian Health club, then not much. It's a nice clean hotel. To me the alternative in Jeddah would be the Intercontinental, which still looks long in the tooth, even with the complete refurbishment that it had.

mutt
5th Jun 2006, 13:04
The 7* section is actually the 2nd building with the more arabic style windows. If looking at the hotel from the sea, its the one on the right. I cant find reference to it on their website, but from the newspapers it has something like 46 luxury suites!

Mutt

Desert Diner
5th Jun 2006, 17:10
Never been to that one. :( I know the building though. Alwats wondered what that was.

Somehow I doubt that I ever will.

mutt
5th Jun 2006, 20:13
Certainly beyond my expense budget...... :(:(

It certainly is ultra exclusive as i cant find any reference to it on Google :)

Mutt