PDA

View Full Version : How many meet requirements but still waiting?

AllInGoodTime
31st May 2006, 12:14
G'Day

Just wondering how many pilots out there in OZ that now meet the min req's for regional, domestic and international airlines, have applications in but still waiting?

locknut
31st May 2006, 12:51
look as though we're both in the same boat:ugh:

Chimbu chuckles
31st May 2006, 13:00
Ummm...I don't understand what you are getting at?

SeaCaptain
1st Jun 2006, 02:50
Arrrrgggghhh,

The sea captain is currently accepting applications for a new first mate.....the last was recently retrenched via the plank :}

Arrrggghhh.....!

Elroy Jettson
1st Jun 2006, 03:19
Jetstar reckon they have 700 "Australian" airbus qual guys on the books! :} Morons! :}

Tell em they're dreamin!

I guess qualified and suitable are two very different things cos they are still advertising! Surely they could get 50 drivers out of 700?

I bet the 700 applications Joycey got included,

"Dear Mr Joyce,

I just did a TIF at bankstown, and I would really like to be an airline pilot with you one day! I don't yet have any experience, but I am very motivated, and I love the Magda Add campaign!

Please consider my application for cruise first officer on the airbus."

brown_eyes
1st Jun 2006, 04:04
There are quite a number in SY who would qualify. There are also a number trying to upgrade their quals to be more competitive, such as buying turbine endorsements. There are at least a dozen who have all their ATPL's etc going back to uni on a part-time basis to get a higher educational standard for QANTAS.

Im sure this is prob occurring in other parts of the country. There are a lot waiting.

The Bunglerat
1st Jun 2006, 04:14
I think a more troubling notion is the number of drivers out there who not only meet the minimum requirements, but far exceed them - and who are still waiting to get a go.

Advertised minimums don't count for much of anything - until there's a major shortage of applicants. When has this ever occurred?!?

hotnhigh
1st Jun 2006, 04:21
Yeah but there's meeting the requirements, AND really meeting the requirements.:ooh:

TinDriver
1st Jun 2006, 08:33
Locknut..........Whaddya mean "the same boat"? I have a super tanker to accomodate those of us in "the same boat".

8000tt plus and still waiting..........and I do think I do "really" meet the requirements.:ugh:

locknut
1st Jun 2006, 09:25
tindriver... haha, yeah soon they'll plonk us all on an island in the middle of no where and pluck out pilots at random for positions that need to be filled asap. At least you'll be employed driving your tanker!!:E

Hugh Jarse
1st Jun 2006, 09:40
Meeting minimum requirements, and being suitable for a particular company are two different matters.

locknut
1st Jun 2006, 09:45
Yes that is very correct and I hope that everyone here knows that. If you don't and are wondering why the airlines haven't been calling you well guess what I'm going to tell you what you need to do...

Call them! Ask them why and what you need to do to make yourself more employable. Its not rocket science. Most CP/recruiting officers won't take much notice of you but one will and he/she might just let you know why.

AllInGoodTime
1st Jun 2006, 13:17
Thanks for your responses. I wish it was getting easier, and with so many LCC around I really thought it was, but doesn't seem to be the case. I still have mates with shed loads of experience who are stuck and have got the min's but just can't catch a break. Unfortunately, I am somewhat off getting to the min's, depressing, but realising that maybe it won't happen. Hope it does for some of my mates, they really have put in the hard yards. Though I don't think the airlines give a crap how hard you work, they just want to see the numbers.

The Bunglerat
2nd Jun 2006, 00:52
One other thing worth noting, at the risk of stating the obvious: "It's not what you know but who you know."

Many will take a cynical stance towards the idea of mates looking after mates, but it's a reality of life. I have friends who work in recruitment (non-airline admittedly), and they all agree that the best jobs are rarely ever advertised. Everything happens as a result of connections, someone who knows someone who knows someone, etc.

Notwithstanding that you have to meet minimum requirements, my advice is to get out there and start networking bigtime. The more people you know (and are on good terms with), the more doors will start to open.

It has worked for me quite a few times. I recently got offered an airline position without knowing anything about it - and all because someone who I had worked with previously, thought I would be well suited for the role and recommended me to his boss. Whilst I still had to do an awful lot of preparation and jump through numerous hoops to secure the job, having someone expedite the process certainly made a big difference.

roger_ramjet
2nd Jun 2006, 03:26
Put yourself in the airline's position - they are confronted with hundreds of applications, all with essentially the same bits of paper saying "I can fly these sorts of aircraft and I've been doing it for the past X hrs." Everyone turns up with the same licence, it's what else they can bring to the table that often makes the difference.
Flying the plane is of course a significant part of the job, but so is the capacity to deal with various issues that may occur both on the flight deck and off the plane. Dealing with complicated commercial factors, making smart decisions and representing the company in the best possible way is what they also need. A solid educational background and/or broader commercial experience can become just as important as logbook time. Regular sim checks and line training ensure you can fly the plane safely and to the company standards, but what else can you contribute to the company? It is a business after all...

neville_nobody
2nd Jun 2006, 05:52
Roger

The problem with what you are saying is that takes so much money, energy and life just to get to the minimum requirements that to branching off into other jobs etc kind of defeats the purpose of even starting. If you want to fly then get on with it don't fluff around doing desk jobs.

Also be aware that certain major airlines frown upon to many non flying jobs. It is seen as a lack of keeness. Having a previous career is one thing, but I would imagine that getting yourself to the minimums or above them; then going off to do a Finance degree for three years to broaden your base and experinece etc would not be a good career move.

Once you get to an airline you are there to fly and fly only. They don't want pilots to be burning duty time in offices doing end of month reports or fuel figures etc. They've got many other cheaper sources of labour to do that kind of stuff.

roger_ramjet
2nd Jun 2006, 07:40
Neville,

I agree with your point, however I was thinking about the many small to medium size operators out there that don't have huge aircraft fleets or teams of admin staff to do all the background work behind flying the aircraft and running the business. It won't take a finance degree to be a real asset to a small/medium operator.
BTW, the way pilot salaries are going it would probably be cheaper to get a pilot to do your admin, HR, rostering, tech audits etc than to get an fulltime officeworker!

neville_nobody
3rd Jun 2006, 02:39
Sadly you aren't far off the truth in regards to pilot's wages and admin staff. :{

The next requirement after 500 Multi will be a Certificate IV in Accounting and be proficient with Microsoft Excel !:}

max autobrakes
28th Jun 2006, 12:05
And proficiency in yoga in order to touch one's toes will also help ,along with some ASTROGLIDE .:}

Chocks Away
29th Jun 2006, 05:42
Meeting minimum requirements, and being suitable for a particular company are two different matters.
I back up Jarses' comment there. :ok: Too true!

Until you realise that, you're wasting your time.

Think and look outside the box fellas.
Overseas is screaming for drivers, so open your wallet and invest in an air-ticket, to visit face to face the recruitment "head-cheese".

Think about it from their side : better the devil they know (or have met) than the one they haven't!

Happy landings.:ok:

P.S. Neville (et all), ...airlines frown upon to many...
Just an important point in passing: if this passage above, was a CV/Resume or Cover letter, he would be cut out, right there. Correct spelling and use of grammar IS very important, when there are so many CVs to read and to pick from... so be concise. It should be "too" and not "to"... a small but very valid point why many don't get a look in.