PDA

View Full Version : South African validation question

european champion
31st May 2006, 11:30
I would like to ask in case i apply for a south african validation in order to do a type rating in s.africa how long would they give me?My JAA ME/IR is still current for another 5 months.Would they base it on the currency of the foreign license and give me just 5 months or would they give me 1 year?

Solid Rust Twotter
31st May 2006, 11:53
Any validation is based on the validity of the original licence.

foreigner
31st May 2006, 15:46
plus you cannot type rate in SA on a foreign licence validation.

B200Drvr
31st May 2006, 19:27
And why would you want to, most SA types above 12500lbs are not accepted in other countries due to the lack of regulation of the training required for the sign off. No sim training and a 1.5 flight for a B1900.:confused:

Heli_Sticktime
1st Jun 2006, 16:48
B200Dvr heard an even worse one today, 0.9 for a B200 rating, no sim time, had four people on the aircraft, each did one landing but logged the four that was done in total including one by the instructor:ugh:

exempt
1st Jun 2006, 17:10
B200Dvr heard an even worse one today, 0.9 for a B200 rating, no sim time, had four people on the aircraft, each did one landing but logged the four that was done in total including one by the instructor:ugh:

Heck guys, can't we do something obout this! The :mad: instructor should have his :mad: sergically removed.:ugh:

B200Drvr
4th Jun 2006, 17:05
Its a shocker, it really is:uhoh:

porridge
4th Jun 2006, 18:01
Yeah - whats going on? I remember back in '87 the BE200 type rating took nearly a week (4 to 5 days) at NAC. Loads of ground school, exam and flying etc. etc. But those were the days when we had IR renewals every 6 months and they were done by the good ol' boys from DCA. At least they were free then despite all the other kak!

south coast
4th Jun 2006, 19:05
any correllation between the number of accidents being posted in this forum with zs planes and crews to the reducing number of hours given during a type rating....i wonder?

european champion
16th Jun 2006, 17:56
I tried many times to call SACAA to ask a question to the Flight Crew licensing but no reply ,i used the number that i found on their website.They must be either busy drinking coffee or that number is not correct,anyone knows the correct number?

3rdBogey
16th Jun 2006, 19:47
European Champion, if you are preferably not male, but ideally just not white, you will get a validation for any amount of time on any foreign licence, and will probably get permanent residence thrown in free without asking, which will likely give you citizenship automatically after a minimal period of time, resulting in your validation being made fixed at that time.:ok:

european champion
19th Jun 2006, 08:39
This sounds good news but unfortunately i am male and white.Do you know their telephone number?

foreigner
19th Jun 2006, 16:32
Phone Claudia at the CAA on 011 5451257, she is the girl that deals with validations. To see the requirements go to www.caa.co.za (http://www.caa.co.za) and look at the link about validating a foreign pilots licence. Tis an easy process.

european champion
19th Jun 2006, 19:30
Thanks for the number.I saw their website but i cant get the information for validation,everytime i click on 'validation of foreign licenses' it says the page cannot be found!

foreigner
20th Jun 2006, 08:06
AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION CIRCULAR AIC 30 7 05-09-30
PERSONNEL LICENSING GENERAL PERSONNEL LICENSING –

VALIDATION OF FOREIGN PILOT LICENCES

This AIC replaces AIC 30⋅7 dated 04-09-03.

At present the validation of foreign crew member licenses is regulated by regulation 2.17 of the Air Navigation Regulations, 1976.1.

The requirements for the issuing of a foreign country’s pilot licence must be to the equivalent standard of a similar South African licence. In a case where the requirements of a foreign country are lower than that of the Republic of South Africa, the Commissioner may direct that an applicant meet the higher requirement before granting a validation.

No validation will be considered if a prospective applicant has been refused a license in South Africa before, or ifthe applicant’s SA license has been revoked in the past or if he/she has been refused a SA license in the past.

Validations will only be granted to foreign licence holders once confirmation/verification was received from suchissuing Authority. Therefore the issuance of a validation might take anything between 48 hours up to 10 days.

2.CONDITIONS OF ISSUE

A licence validated by the Commissioner will be subject to the limitations and restrictions of the validated licence and in addition, to such conditions and limitations as the Commissioner may deem necessary, but shall nevertheless not permitprivileges in excess of the equivalent South African licence.

3.VALIDITY PERIOD

The validity period of a validation issued by the Commissioner shall be:
(a) 12 months calculated from the date of issue of such validation; or
(b)in accordance with the validity period of the licence issued by the foreign authority, whichever period is the lesser.

4.VALIDATION OF A LICENCE FOR PRIVATE FLYING ONLY

A validation of the above licence will have to be to the level of proficiency of a South African private pilot licence. The Commissioner may further impose and endorse on the validation, such conditions as he/she deems necessary.Any acceptable valid foreign licence may be validated by the Commissioner on application for private flying.

All applicants must:-
(a) pass a practical flight test with a grade I or II flight instructor who is rated on the type the test is conducted who willalso be required to assess the candidates cross-country, navigational proficiency. Only ATP foreign licence holders are not required to do a cross-country; and
(b) be a holder of a valid foreign radio licence.
(c) According to the level of experience of the candidate, he or she will be required to:
pass an examination in Air Law at an approved training organisation.
The aforementioned validation does not include the validation of an instrument rating.
If the validation is to include an instrument rating or in the case of those licences where the instrument rating isan integral part of the licence, the following requirements are to be complied with:

For issue of a validation for private flying including IF, the applicant must:-
a) pass a practical general test flight and a instrument rating test with a designated examiner, who is rated on the type the test is conducted according to experience levels and as the Commissioner may decide.and must:-
a) pass an examination in Air Law and Procedures with the CAA;
b) be a holder of a valid foreign radio licence.

5.VALIDATION OF A COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENCE (CPL) (for commercial purposes)

5.1 A validation of the above licence will have to be to the level of proficiency of a South African Commercial pilot licence, The Commissioner may further impose and endorse on the validation, such conditions as he deems necessary. and;To qualify, the applicant must:-

(a) be in possession of a valid equivalent license and, if applicable, a valid instrument rating;
(b) have flown a minimum of 200 hours total time of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be as pilot in command;
(c)pass an examination in Air Law and Procedures with the CAA;
(d) be a holder of a valid radio licence;;
(e) pass a practical flight test with a designated examiner who is rated on the type the test is conducted who shall alsobe required to assess the candidates cross-country, navigational proficiency.and may have to:-
(f) pass an examination in any other subjects as may be required by the Commissioner according to experience.

5.2For operations conducted commercially outside South African Airspace shall be required to pass an examination in South African Airlaw.

6.VALIDATION OF AN AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT LICENCE (ATP) (for commercial purposes)

6.1 A validation of the above licence will have to be to the level of proficiency of a South African Airline Transport Pilot licence. The Commissioner may further impose and endorse on the validation, such conditions as he deems necessary.To qualify, the applicant must:-
(a) be in possession of a current, valid ATP.
(b) have flown a minimum of 1 500 hours total time, of which at least 100 hours shall be night flight and 75 hoursinstrument flight.
c) pass an examination in Air Law and Procedures with the CAA.
(d) Be a holder of a valid foreign radio licence.,
(e)pass a practical flight test conducted by a designated examiner who is rated on the type the test is conducted who may also be required to assess the candidates cross-country, navigational proficiency.and may have to:-
(f) pass an examination in any other subjects as may be directed by the Commissioner according to experience.

6.2For operations conducted commercially outside South African Airspace shall be required to pass an examination in South African Airlaw.

7.VALIDATION OF INSTRUCTOR RATINGS

NO INSTRUCTOR RATINGS WILL BE VALIDATED.

In exceptional cases where a suitably qualified flight instructor is not locally available for training on a particular type ofaircraft, the Commissioner for Civil Aviation may designate, in writing, a person holding a validation and instructors rating,with the appropriate type on his/her original licence, to conduct such training.

8.OTHER RATING REQUIREMENTS

Holders of validated licences must note that no additions can be made to a licence regarding the types that may be flown and thus only the types authorized by the licence of the country of issue, may be flown. This also applies to other ratings.

9.VALIDATION OF A FLIGHT ENGINEER (FE) LICENCE

(Regulation 63.01.3 of the CAR) A validation of the above licence will be granted on the following conditions:To qualify, the applicant must:-
(a) be in possession of an acceptable, current flight engineer licence;
(b) have served a minimum of 100 hours as flight engineer;
(c) pass a practical flight test conducted by a Designated Examiner.The applicant must: -(
d) pass an examination in Air Law and Procedures and any other subjects as directed by the Commissioner;

10.EXEMPTIONS

In exceptional cases - such as test flights, ferry flights, demonstration flights, specific instruction and on new aircraft, –issue of validations to meet short term operational requirements may be considered by the Commissioner subject to the requirements as determined by him according to the particular case, being met.

11.RENEWAL OF VALIDATIONS

Renewal of Validations is subject to the candidate submitting proof that he or she has complied with all requirements ofthe country of issue in respect of maintenance and proficiency as prescribed for the relevant licence and any other ratings.

12. UPGRADING OF LICENCES

12.1 The holder of a valid foreign licence and a valid South African PPL Validation may upgrade to a South African CPL on account of the validation, by fulfilling all the prescribed requirements for the issue of aSouth African CPL.12.2 The provisions of 12.1 above shall not be applicable in respect of upgrade from a CPL validation to SouthAfrican ATP.To upgrade from a CPL validation to South African ATP, the requirements as per ANR’s 3.5(1) must becomplied with.

13. APPLICATION FOR VALIDATION

An application for validation shall be directed to:

The General Manager: Air Safety OperationsCAA Private Bag x73Halfway House 1685 Or fax +27 11 545 1456

The application for a validation shall be accompanied by:
i) the fee as prescribed by Part 187 of CAR 1997;
ii) a certified true copy of the valid Foreign License;
iii) a certified true copy of the valid medical pertaining to the license;
iv) Logbook currently used by the applicant; and

v)in the case of a validation for private flying:
(a) The Air Law Examination results, and
(b) flight test results, as may be required by the Commissioner; and

(vi) in the case of a validation for commercial purposes:
(a) copy of the examination results as may be required by the Commissioner in each case;
(b) a summary of the logbook to substantiate the hours flown.
(c) be a holder of a foreign radio certificate.

COMMISSIONER FOR CIVIL AVIATION