PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Sound on PC and Media Player!!

NG708
31st May 2006, 11:08
Have just downloaded the latest Microsoft update and whether because of this or not, seem to have some sound problems.:}

I have lost background sounds on the PC, such as the 'click' noise when selelcting a link to view here on Pprune. More seriously I have lost all sound through Windows Media Player when I try to play back MP3, WMA or movie files.

Strangely enough if I play some of these files back through Real player, it works and I get sound!

I'm using Windows XP with all the service patches and updates installed. I have checked that Media Player has been selected as the default for all file types. Uninstalling the patch has had no effect.

Has anyone had similar problems or can you suggest a solution?

Maxflyer
31st May 2006, 12:38
I have something called an AC97 sound thingy in my pc. Whenever windows updates this you can guarantee that I will have to roll back the update in order to get my sound back.

Maybe it is something like this that has happened?

Maxflyer

NG708
31st May 2006, 12:51
I have exactly the same - an ac97 sound controller.
What do you normally roll back - just the driver for it?

OK - just tried it. Updated and rolled back the driver as Windows latest driver doens't work! However still only back to partial sound and nothing with media player.!!

Richard Spandit
31st May 2006, 13:32
Simple thing, but have you checked all of your sound channels are turned up properly and the cables are plugged in to the sound card and speakers?

NG708
31st May 2006, 16:11
Not a bad idea - I have been known to turn them down before and then look baffled!

But no -they are working fine.

The really peculiar thing is that files that won't work in Media Player do seem to in Realplayer - but why?:ugh:

rickity
31st May 2006, 21:56
there may have been a change in the audio codecs that are used, i found out the longway around that this can happen and gives simialr symptoms to the ones you describe.

How to find out - goto control panel-system-hardware-devices look for sound video game controllers, and expand. look for audio codecs right click and properties, hit the properties tag at the top, look for windows media audio codac, highlight and select properties, check the button use this audio codac, make sure or change the priority to 1,, ok etc all the way back out. and hopefully bob will be your mothers brother.

good luck
rickity