PDA

View Full Version : SA330J Puma

Jetscream 32
25th Sep 2003, 21:05
Hi, sorry its such a boring request but would anyone have anyidea as the the current users of SA 330J types either civil or military. Thanks in advance for any help:8

ecspotter
26th Sep 2003, 01:06
hello
many users around the world :)
in military : France (CEV use SA330J ,Army an another variant SA330Ba) Germany...in Europe.
some in the world :cameroun ;Nepal ...

in civil use
Heli Union (france) ; Goe Seis (Usa) ;Star Lite (Zuid africa);Timberland (canada)
and some other with a less important fleet .
some "news" SA330J in USA but only for refurbishement for many .

Puma is an old ;but reliable helicopters !

lionel

Eurocopter Spotter Page
http://lionel.laporte.free.fr/index.htm

Spot 4
26th Sep 2003, 03:18
"Puma is an old ;but reliable helicopters !"

Would be if the Turmo IIIc engine was never fitted and better wiper blades installed. Not the most secure of cabin door fitting either.

It does however need to be "flown" rather then "steered" as in some modern helis, & the Nr droop can be anticipated without mechanical or electrical anticipators.

The HC1 (RAF) is a version of the SA330J I believe, and most of those have crashed at some time or other. Always looks the part in the cruise with gear retracted, having a certain charisma all of its own. It has a very loyal following from its crews, being likened to a thoroughbread sports car, georgeous if a b1tch to fly.

ShyTorque
26th Sep 2003, 04:31
Yes, the RAF's HC1 version is similar to the J model.

Yes, she does have a loyal following, she still can hold her own, performance wise, against much more modern types. She is fast and really quite agile for her size, not that today's pilots are allowed to show her off so much in that way. She is capable of a barrel roll, albeit somewhat restrained by her lateral cyclic stick mechanical stops and would certainly loop if allowed.

And yes, she will bite (very badly) if mishandled, as quite a few have found, in the 32 years or so she has been in RAF service.

One favourite trick in NI was to get the mutual support Wessex pilot to call "Buster" (slow down, can't keep up) - whilst the old girl was carrying an underslung load that was heavier than the Wessex could lift. :E

OopsNearly
26th Sep 2003, 16:29
How can anyone say bad things about the SA330J. Back in the 80's I flew these old girls in the Middle East and the Far East both on offshore work and helirig and never had a moments panic. Well that's not quite true, one or two of our local co-pilots raised the blood pressure a little, but the aircraft - never.

To this day, as a pilots machine I enjoyed the "J" better than the 332 although it did off course lack its power.

Please go and wash your mouths out and say sorry.

Question, did the RAF Puma's have metal or plastic blades. Performance improved by leaps and bounds with the new plastic blades compaired to the metal blades. With the fitting of plastic the model number changed from "G" to "J"

I think I just made a typing error, plus a partial brain seizure, I think I should have said the model number changed from "H" to "J", but you know I have just plain forgot. Sorry!

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2003, 01:07
RAF's HC1 began life (about 1971) with open intakes and metal blades. "Plastic" blades were retrofitted from about 1979 onwards, polyvalent intakes ("PIPS") around the same time, initially for 33 Sqn's Norway role but later to all aircraft. Having flown both, I agree that the placcy blades transformed the aircraft's performance.

Biggest mistake was when they removed the rear view mirrors as part of the PIP mod. :ugh: They were useful for a number of reasons in addition to checking the intakes for ice, as intended.

Quantico67
31st May 2006, 06:15
Hi Guys and Gals

Is there anyone out there who could help me again, with a realistic sounding start sequence for the Puma.
The essentials that should be included for a single pilot departure after strapping in, battery(s?) on Gen on/off etc, switch positions and what the hero should be monitoring during start...
Any advice will be really appreciated, and I'll credit your pseudonym as tech advisor.
Though if the book flops, you might want to disassociate yourself ;-))
Thanks...Q67

vertalop
31st May 2006, 08:34
It's been a while but I'll have a go! No reference docs here so this may need a bit of correction.
Floor:
Check emergency hydraulic pressure indicating, if not get engineer to pump it up with lever to left of co-pilot's seat to ensure brakes/rotor brake have pressure
Overhead panel:
Battery switch on
Alternators and TRUs all switched on
Emergency lights armed
Anti Col Light on
Exercise Fuel Flow Levers checking corresponding lights, leave in ground idle position
Emergency fuel cut-off and emerg hydraulic levers wire locked
Ensure rotor brake is selected off
Instrument panel:
Flight and engine instruments normal parameters
Standby horizon erect
Test caution panel and fire warnings
standby pressure selector wire locked
Fuel panel:
test lights
check fuel contents sufficient
Check transfer pump if using external power
Switch on No.2 fuel pump of engine to be started check fuel pressure light goes out
Centre console
Rotor brake safety - check operation and leave armed
Radios set and on as required
Collective switches as required
Start
Fuel pressure light out
check T4 below 150
select start switch to run
when Ng rising flick start switch to ign
check T4 rising, but below 750
rotor turning by 17%Ng
gearbox and hydraulic pressures rising as normal