PDA

View Full Version : MISSED out on MAM QANTAS

Flibbertigibbet
31st May 2006, 02:50
Hi All,

after months of waiting I finally got the rejection email from MAM for Qantas casual work. I thought given I had had the medical and 2 ref. checks it was just a mater of being patient but I was wrong! It is very disheartening to go through feeling like you are moving towards a job offer only to get the rejection email :confused:.
Has anyone else got the flick this week?

Sailorgal
31st May 2006, 05:24
Flibbertigibbet I'm so sorry :{ that sux so much :yuk:

If it is any kind of consolation, i am feeling more & more certain that all of us who are waiting are going to get the same response. I don't want to believe rumours as fact, but it seems very likely from everything that we've been hearing that they are not in a position to take on as many crew as they thought. It would've been because of the limited places available that you got that email, not because you missed the final cut somehow.

OCCR
31st May 2006, 05:52
Don't take it personally
there are too many crew,as stated on this forum before the new Carmen system has optimized crew resources.
Yes its a shame that QF put you through all this and then tell you "sorry"
They have been doing this for as long as I know! they really have no respect for the individuals feelings.
The left hand really does not know what the right is doing.
Look they they stuff up all the time, there will be more recruitment there always is!

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:03
Flibbertigibbet,

I'm so sorry to hear your news :( Did they give you a reason?

Flibbertigibbet
31st May 2006, 06:07
just the usual letter. Weird thing is they did my checks and my medical over a month ago so why wait until now to send the email. I know I passed my medical as I have a friend in the office who said I got the all clear and my referees are fine. :ugh:

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:18
That is so bizarre! If you have passed the medical and reference checks are fine then why NO?????????? I just don't understand them!! It's just so awful that they have waited this long to send you the email! But surely if it's got something to do with all the rumours going around about them not needing as many casuals as they anticipated, then you would think that they would call you to explain that and not just send the standard "I'm sorry you have been unsuccessfull" email.....

:ugh: They are doing my head in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Flibbertigibbet
31st May 2006, 06:22
are you waiting as well First Class Paris?:ugh:

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:25
Well they actually called me about 3 weeks ago now telling me I had been successfull..but the training course they offered me was too soon and I couldn't accept it..But they told me that they would put me in the next training school once they had confirmation of a date.. So I am waiting for that call... But since hearing all these rumours..I'm now getting worried:uhoh:

Sailorgal
31st May 2006, 06:34
FCP were you on a waiting list from before, or were the march rounds the first time you'd been interviewed for QF? I thought the people who were selected for the recent ground schools were the people who'd already been waiting for ages on the old waiting list...not sure if that's correct though?

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:36
Sailorgal, No that was my first time interviewed with MAM...

Flibbertigibbet
31st May 2006, 06:41
also one of my friends who was in the interview in March on the same day as me started training last Monday........

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:46
Yep, that was the date they offered me..23 May..If I had accepted I would have been in that class now..Oh well, I just couldn't..Had your friend been on a waiting list?? Or was it there first time applying for MAM? Have trainers told your friend anything about future training schools?

Flibbertigibbet
31st May 2006, 06:50
My friend had not been on a waiting list it was her first time going for a MAM role she was called about 10 days before the start date and offered the job.

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 06:59
That's the same time they called me too! We must have been called on the same day.. Oh God, I would love to be a fly on that wall in that office too know exactly what's going on!!!!

Sailorgal
31st May 2006, 07:03
OMG they are so lucky!!! My assessment day was on thursday - maybe i should've gone to an earlier one?!!! Wouldn't it break your heart if it was just a matter of where your name appears on the list of final candidates. :( :ugh:

Hope there's something they can still do for you FCP, given that you were definitely successful but unable to fit into their schedule.

FirstClassParis
31st May 2006, 07:07
Sailorgal I wasn't at the first assessment day in Sydney, so it's got nothing to do with where your name is on the list, so don't be worried about that.. :)

SkySista
31st May 2006, 07:08
I hope they're not going alphabetically and just cutting off X amount of people - now that really would suck!! :ugh:

Sorry to hear you didn't make it FTG...!

Sailorgal
31st May 2006, 07:11
Just checked my email, I got one too Flibbertigibbet.

Thanks for your recent participation in the selection process for the MAM Flight Attendant role. We have certainly enjoyed meeting with you through this process.

By this stage your application has been seriously and rigorously assessed, in terms of individual merit and suitability for the position and after careful consideration on this occasion we will not be proceeding further with your application at this time.

We were extremely fortunate to receive a large number of high quality applications. The inevitable result is that some very good candidates will be disappointed that they have not been selected.

A period of 6 months from the date of this e-mail must elapse before your application will be reconsidered for future positions. Please register your details on www.mam.net.au should you wish to be reconsidered in the future.

This is, of course, dependent on whether we are recruiting at the time.

Thank you greatly for the time and effort you have invested in your application, hopefully you will not let this result disappoint you too much or indeed deter you from registering on the MAM website for future opportunities.

:{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

SkySista
31st May 2006, 07:14
Sailorgal, I'm so sorry!!!

Gawd, better go check my email too.....! :uhoh:

wan2fly
31st May 2006, 10:11
I really feel for all of you...

Im a BRIT and we are so lucky we have dozens and dozens of airlines to choose from - altho remember the FA job is no where near as highly thought of as it is in AUS - Come to the UK and Fly for QF UK - its a great company crew are fantastic - still got teething problems but then its a new base - believe me the crew make up for it - NEVER have a bad crew or rotten flight.

gigs
31st May 2006, 22:38
Qantas do do this. But the rejection letter sounds very positive for the future even though its very very upsetting now. One of my mates had the exact same thing happen to him medical etc,applied again and it only ment that one yes. Hes now flying around having lots of fun when we can get trips of this new carmen system.....Some f/a s apply a few times before being selected. Chin up at least they say they are interested in you in the future...............Cheers gigs

wa.man
1st Jun 2006, 05:01
Wouldnt you think they would choose who they want, make the decision and then send you for a medical..Wouldnt be so bad if they were footing the bill but to fork out approx $200 wait 3months and then to be told no. Some more thought needs to be put into there recruitment process.
So sorry to those who have missed out..

blue_stew
1st Jun 2006, 06:17
Pre MAM days I applied twice with QF - made it through the medicals and refs - waited waited waited - got the big NO. Twice! I had enough. I can feel for all of you - was expensive and emotionally draining. I sent them a letter telling them exactly how I felt and told them they had no right to treat people like that. Care factor 0. Don't take it personally. Your time will come!

OCCR
1st Jun 2006, 06:45
Come on guys!
You cant say you didn't know what QANTAS was like,have a look at the other threads and have a look at what the current employees are telling you.
QF are mongrels when it comes to their employees.

missleadfoot
1st Jun 2006, 22:33
Sorry to those who missed out this time but it also seems that Jetstar may be doing the same thing. I have a friend who went to the first interview day, but was sent for a medical even before being notified of a second interview. It all seems backward to me. These medicals are expensive, especially if you are applying to more than one airline at the same time. He has now done the second interview but still doesn't know how that went so what was the point of sending him off to a medical at that initial stage? The airlines just really dont seem to care that many people just don't have the cash up front to have medicals on demand. The medical should be the final stage of recruitment and the last deciding factor. If you have passed all the interviews and the airline has made up their mind that you are successful you should THEN be sent for the medical and confirmation of employment should be offered pending the result of that test. To be sent for a medical (in the case of MAM) while the airline is still deciding whether they even need more crew and then to be told NO is just totally ridiculous and a complete waste of time and money for the applicant. The only person benefiting from this is the Qantas doctor who's position is obviously secure as he/she is the one receiving and processing your info and from the sound of it there are a lot of medicals being conducted and for no reason. I don't know if the FAAA can do anything about this procedure but I will bring it up with them and ask if there is anyway of streamlining the recruitment process so you are not all wasting your time going for medicals based on the "chance" of getting a job.

Katti
24th Jun 2006, 10:33
Sorry to here about the rejections, I went for my assesment on 24th March and have gone through the stages and still havent had any reply......I cant stand the waiting game .....:bored:

mamContender
26th Jun 2006, 00:27
I asked Mams what the recruitment process was. Ive done my medical and just waiting like the rest of us. They said they get all the medicals, review the applications then get us into training. Training schools happen monthly or they try to anyway. So for those waiting, there may just be a delay in the processing of your application, like waiting to recieve your medical information. So keep your fingers crossed.

Katti
26th Jun 2006, 04:44
I dont know about all that becuase they have my medical info and all my reference and security checks have been done....then i hear of others that have had rejection letters and letters to be put on 6 months waiting list and people who have the job .....

Hey mam contender when did go for the interview???????????????

flocker
5th Jul 2006, 07:27
I got my email rejection on the 30/6....
like everyone very disappointed after medicals and refernce checks and expense...seems like most who went for process mid to late April missed out in sydney.
Flocker.

seektofly
5th Jul 2006, 09:04
I wonder what percentage from each medical (that the Qantas Doctor Charges) - gets given to Qantas??? I have been for 4 medicals with the Qantas group - and never offered a job - I think it sucks! :yuk: I am sure Qantas gets money out of sending people to go for medicals. :mad:

skysailing
5th Aug 2006, 17:34
Hi there

I am also going through the MAM recruitment process recruiting for Perth base . I had all of the interviews in the last 2 weeks and am now waiting on the results of the security check and whether I proceed to the medical stage?!:p I am thinking that it may be a long wait according to all the messages I reading in this forum.

Just today MAM advertised again for more casuals with quite a large advert, so I presume that they are still looking for quite a few people? Who knows? I was told I would hear back the following week, and it has been about 8 days now, and I dont know anything! Luckily i dont have the dreaded email, but the waiting game is equally not cool!

Can anyone tell me if the there are any age limits for QF? I am in my early 30's ( although look alot younger - so I am told!!) Its really hard to know where they are coming from with age issues. QF told me on the phone that they actually like people in my age group, but I guess the person who does the final selection, has the final word. I think my interviews went well, but its hard to determine!

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

ChristineMAM
6th Aug 2006, 11:43
cant believe there are so many rejection emails going out!!!!!! For those who have been rejected, have you called mam or qf for an explanation?? also do you think that security or medical was not up to scratch, or perhaps did you call for too many updates of the application??? there MUST be some common issue???

nicx
7th Aug 2006, 00:10
Hey,

We are on the same boat. My group assessment was on Mon and i had my panel on Wednesday. They promised to contact us within 3 days after the panel, but still nothing until now. I rang last week a few times, the manager there told me that the panel results are out but they were doing some paper work b4 releasing it... I dont feel very positive about the whole process now.

One thing qantas recruitment people in sydney are stupid, they couldn't find my mobile number so they rang my work and left my boss a msg about the panel time and date... how could they do that, i filled a form on the group assessment day, why didn't they check that instead. So now i m in deep **** of taking days off flying to Perth for the interview, i might lose my current job... I hate Qantas!

Hi there

I am also going through the MAM recruitment process recruiting for Perth base . I had all of the interviews in the last 2 weeks and am now waiting on the results of the security check and whether I proceed to the medical stage?!:p I am thinking that it may be a long wait according to all the messages I reading in this forum.

Just today MAM advertised again for more casuals with quite a large advert, so I presume that they are still looking for quite a few people? Who knows? I was told I would hear back the following week, and it has been about 8 days now, and I dont know anything! Luckily i dont have the dreaded email, but the waiting game is equally not cool!

Can anyone tell me if the there are any age limits for QF? I am in my early 30's ( although look alot younger - so I am told!!) Its really hard to know where they are coming from with age issues. QF told me on the phone that they actually like people in my age group, but I guess the person who does the final selection, has the final word. I think my interviews went well, but its hard to determine!

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

sebby
7th Aug 2006, 04:48
I heard that MAM did a huge recruitment drive (which i in the end turned down) and then QF changed their whole roster system etc and the numbers they predicted were no lonnger required. (A lot of it due to LH from all bases including AKL were starting to operate out of PER).

Its the way of the future... no overnights, poor allowances, offshore bases yarda yarda yarda... unfortunately its not going to get better and if you want to do it you have to prepare for some dissappointment in the meantime.

Leane - I did a BNE return yeasterday and was serving a man in J/C and I noticed he was "subload staff" on the PIL and after realising he was pretty down to earth I asked in what capacity he was staff... he told me his wife was with QF SH for 30 years and as a result her retirement package included unlimited upgradeable staff travel for her family and nominees. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats more than we ******* get!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:ugh:

sebby
7th Aug 2006, 08:31
:mad: :yuk: :mad: :yuk: :mad: :yuk: :mad: :yuk: :mad: :yuk: :mad:

skyestorm
9th Aug 2006, 05:59
gosh this is very disappointing and confusing. I had my interviews in july, and was called approx a wk ago to go and have my medical while they do the ref checks etc... why do they get you to go for a medical if you're not guaranteed a position if your medical checks out fine, sure if your medical is not ok going to compromise the safety of the passengers etc.. i understand......
why are people getting rejected. does anybody know of the ratio of rejections for people who have been through the complete process????
good luck to everyone, and i'll keep my fingers crossed. i really want this qantas job, now i've got alliance ringing me up for an interview, but i want the mam job and thought the medical was pretty well a yes??, i'm all confused....

QFLinkPER
15th Aug 2006, 07:34
Hi guys, I work as an FA for National Jet Systems, Perth Qantaslink. I've been invited to an interview with MAM next week. I was just wondering what current MAM employees think about leaving a full-time position that I love and is pretty well paid, for a position with MAM (if I were eventually successful!)? I mostly only fly to regional WA destinations now, but would love to go to real cities, wearing the brown instead of red uniform! Also, can anyone give me the exact format of the interviews, what type of role plays, etc? :confused:

GalleyChick
16th Aug 2006, 18:26
Skysailing

When I started with QF 4 years ago there were 2 people in my class who were 41 years old (both of them were ex-coppers). One pretty much looked his age. The important thing to Qantas (and I hope to all airlines) is the experience you bring to them. Better a 30+ with heaps of customer service experience and personality than an 18 year old fresh out of high school with no customer service exp.

laraj182
29th Aug 2006, 08:56
Hi, im new to this forum, i went to the MAM recruitment in perth last saturday got the call back for the panel the tuesday after and now we have the one-two week wait :* haha i have just found out how impatient i am!! the good thing is though i think now they are making us do the medical after we have been accepted which is good i guess they had too many complaints .. i am only 19 though so the whole idea with the contract doesn't bother me but other than that i think the age thing will bring me down it is hard to get into the business while were so young!! I am fluent in french and italian .. any other airline ideas??

mamContender
9th Sep 2006, 09:09
:) :) :) :) :)
I was about to give up on getting in with MAMs when I got the happy 'your successful' phone call. I was interviewed about 4 months ago, with all the interviews, medicals and ref checks happening in a short space of time... then i heard nothing. My friends had got in and started training and I thought Id missed out. So I guess for everyone waiting dont give up unless you get a rejection letter - and then wait and reapply. I know people who have waiting for longer than I did and they got in.

ChristineMAM
11th Sep 2006, 00:36
hey, congratulations. i went for interview 15th may in bris and not heard anything... ALL my friends are starting training...... when were you interviewed and where/???? are they going to call ME?!???!!!