PDA

View Full Version : Wireless CCTV feed

EGKK931
30th May 2006, 11:40
Not really computer related is slightly but anyway:

Is there such a product as a wireless CCTV system that could transmit to a base about 4/5/6 miles away?

A small covert CCTV camera I am talking about here is there such technology and at what price?

Cheers

CherokeeDriver
30th May 2006, 14:36
Best bet would be to install a wireless (802.1x) camera and buy a wireless ADSL router. The Internet then transports the signal to another Internet connected computer anywhere in the world. If you wanted to avoid using the Internet there have been some surprising 802.1x distances recorded using Pringles cans - over 8 miles - but you will need line of sight to achieve this. The cameras are about 70 quid - give it a try - would be interesting to see if you can get it to work with a "high gain" antenna.

EGKK931
30th May 2006, 14:41
Thanks for your reply.

Where would I purchase one of these cameras which does not need to use the internet? Do you have a link to these 70 quid cameras? :)

Cheers :ok:

MyData
2nd Jun 2006, 16:26
http://www.solwise.co.uk/webcams.htm

I don't have any association with the company.

What I was searching their site for was ethernet bridge devices using the household mains - to reduce cables and to be more reliable than wireless. Are there any electrical (power) engineers on this board who might be able to give an indication of how far signals might be 'broadcast' from the house beyond the ring main?

EGKK - I don't know how you would get to transmit the signal without using the internet or a phone line. For a start you would a transmission licence (in the UK anyway) and a line of sight connection unless power etc. wasn't an issue.

Is this to monitor remote premises? I.e. is there power and a phone line there? If so then it might be worth considering an old PC and dial up / broadband connection to get the remote connection.

Steamhead
5th Jun 2006, 21:29
It will transmit as far as the first transformer on the supply system and anybody on the same phase as you will receive the signal.
Some theory:- The transformer output will be 440 volt three phase and neutral and phase to neutral is 240 volt.
If your electrical installation is old then you will possibly have a coloured disc pinned to the board near the incoming supply telling you which phase you are on.
Thus you are warned never take an extention lead, plugged into your supply, next door, because they may be on a different phase, and if you get across both supplies you will be on 440 volts. Could spoil your day.
regards