PDA

View Full Version : C206 Rating/endorsement on SA PPL

SHARPPOINT
30th May 2006, 07:52
Heading down to Jo'Burg in a couple of Months, want to know if if I can get a C206 rating/endorsment on a South African PPL.

Or is it like the US where you need a IR for the high performance endorsement of this aircraft?

Plus have any info of anyone able to oblige with this in Joburg area, preferably Lanseria, Grand Central or Germiston airfields.

Sorry if this querstions been asked before but but the search button ain't so good.

George Tower
30th May 2006, 08:24
Hi there
I'd be very surprised if you can't legally get the rating on a straight PPL. Never heard of you needing an IR because it's so called high performance. Only snag I can see is going to be insurance issues.:ugh:
Or is it like the US where you need a IR for the high performance endorsement of this aircraft? I find this hard to believe...is this really an FAA requirement?
There's a good website where most of the General Aviation is discussed in detail www.avcom.co.za - the guys there will have a lot of gen on the airfields you're interested in.
There is another site that might be of interest to you as good prep before you leave - http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/ and this one as well - http://www.uksa.flyer.co.uk/

Rgds GT

SHARPPOINT
30th May 2006, 09:50
Thanks for the reply, yeh I was curious about the IR requirement for the high performance endorsement in the US, thats what was said to me think it is an insurance issue, not sure whether they thought I was going to hire the aircraft afterwards or something.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I have no problem being corrected I know when I was over there this is what people where saying to me, I've tried looking to confirm it and can't.

Sorry for Hi-Jacking the the African Forum here, any more help be appreciated the more the better.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th May 2006, 12:49
Never heard a C206 called a high performance aircraft before...:confused:

woollybugger1
30th May 2006, 13:27
Hey there,

You don't need an IR to do the C-206 conversion. A PPL is sufficient. At the moment I only know of one 206 available for training. It is at Foster Aero at Lanseria. Beware though they realise that they have the only one available for training and do tend to charge a rather hefty rate per hour.

Hope everything goes well with your training.

Cheers.

B200Drvr
30th May 2006, 16:21
FAA regs do not require an instrument rating for a high performance, you can fly anything VFR. 200+HP constitutes high performance in the US.