PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Sale Act & Jetstar

The The
30th May 2006, 05:39
Under the requirements regarding Qantas' articles of association in The Sale Act; there is the following quote:

(f) prohibit Qantas from conducting scheduled international air
transport passenger services under a name other than:
(i) its company name; or
(ii) a registered business name that includes the expression
“Qantas”; and

So how is Qantas able to use the Jetstar name?

ebt
30th May 2006, 05:45
Probably because Jetstar is a totally different subsidiary company. I guess they could legally argue that Qantas is not operating the services, just codesharing on them so it is significantly different enought o be legal under the articles of association.

N2000
30th May 2006, 05:57
For those who are suitably bored, the legislation can be viewed at http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/BD462CE9CC8D5116CA256F71004E567A

qcc2
30th May 2006, 06:37
qantas , australian airlines and jetstar have applied for international airservice agreements to bo extended /renewed/ codeshared for northern summer 2006. it also gives you an oversight of flying to asia between QF/AO/J*:ok:
http://www.iasc.gov.au/pubs/iascpp4126.pdf

YesTAM
30th May 2006, 07:19
Even if they are in breach of the act..........surely you don't expect either a Labor or Libreral government to enforce it against thei love child?

On eyre
30th May 2006, 08:00
According to the ASIC website Jetstar Airlines Pty Ltd is a registered company and was formerly Impulse Airlines Pty Ltd.

Woomera
30th May 2006, 08:43
Qantas also own a number of airline companies, most long since ceased operation, including Air Queensland and Queensland Airlines - both of which interestingly enough, are currently subject to de-registration.

Good chance for some Queenslander with a Partenavia or tired old Navajo to register a state wide airline name?

Sunny Woomera

rescue 1
30th May 2006, 10:53
Good thinking The The.

I think the answer for AO and JQ, is that for overseas operations you'll note on the side of the fuselage "a QANTAS Group Company"

Sneaky though...and I guess certainly not the intention of the Act.

Taildragger67
31st May 2006, 13:13
Earlier on, s.3 of the Act defines `Qantas` and also `Qantas subsidiaries`. Unfortunately, the definition of `Qantas` does not include its subsidiaries or the wider QF group. Hence whilst there are certain restrictions on QF itself in s.7, these do not appear to apply to subsidiaries/other group companies.

It appears that in trying to be restrictive, the drafters of this Act didn`t count on someone actively trying to get around its provisions...

The The - bit of a Matt Johnson fan??

ditzyboy
2nd Jun 2006, 08:28
Oh they may have changed that recently then..... I finished up in Jan & I know that until then many things were still under Impulse/Qantas Link.

Sorry but the name change happened LONG ago... The company name was re-registered just before Christmas 2003. Our payslips said Jetstar from that date. Jetstar traded as Impulse Airlines until the changeover. Flights were QantasLink operated by Jetstar trading as Impulse Airlines. I no longer work for 'The Star' (thank God!) but still have all the memos re. the changeover.