PDA

View Full Version : QF JFK

rammel
30th May 2006, 02:13
Interesting article

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/qantas-plane-in-ny-accident/2006/05/30/1148754974692.html

Buster Hyman
30th May 2006, 02:56
the wing tip of a Qantas aircraft hit a blast fence at the airport last night.He said the aircraft was taxiing on the runway after landing at JFK

Damn Yankees! Fancy putting a fence so close to the runway!:rolleyes:

Capt Fathom
30th May 2006, 03:04
Oh S*#t, that sounds bad. I would have hated to be the crew/pax on board.
Yep. Very scary indeed.:rolleyes: Luckily it didn't happen in flight.:E Now that would have been a story!

king oath
30th May 2006, 07:12
Its going to be a long trip home for someone.

Aussie
30th May 2006, 07:44
I thought the safest airline in the world doesnt run into fences....

Aussie

Buster Hyman
30th May 2006, 07:53
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/05/30/qantas_wing.jpg

Twas being marshalled...according to The Age.

chockchucker
30th May 2006, 08:04
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/05/30/qantas_wing.jpg
Twas being marshalled...according to The Age.

Marshalled by who? This is the kind of thing that worlds best/cheapest practice can get you. However, you'll never convince the beancounters otherwise.

737NG_Girl
30th May 2006, 08:09
I thought the safest airline in the wolrd doesnt run into fences....

Perhaps there was a golf course on the other side of it??

:E

Just Kidding :ok:

GearOff
30th May 2006, 10:55
Some other photos: http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/viewtopic.php?t=16348

The Bungeyed Bandit
5th Jun 2006, 06:17
Hey Chockchucker, you wanna talk about beancounters, apparently our illustrious manager who had a previous life running Sydney Monorail was heard to say "Get a second quote" after finding out how much Boeing's AOG team estimated it was going to cost to fix.

Who the hell are you going to get to mill, splice and repair the outer section front spar - doubt if you could ferry it to China. I don't think the picture shows the true extent of the damage. The point of impact is inboard of the winglet mounts and fairings.

Keg
5th Jun 2006, 06:43
....apparently our illustrious manager who had a previous life running Sydney Monorail was heard to say "Get a second quote" after finding out how much Boeing's AOG team estimated it was going to cost to fix.

The reason we need to get a quote for this in the first place is because the 'crash crew' who would normally be the people to determine the repairs, the cost of them and so on all come from Heavy Maintenance in Sydney and mostly have been offered redundancies.

Great move that! :ugh: :rolleyes:

chockchucker
5th Jun 2006, 06:54
Talk about your chickens coming home to roost!

YesTAM
5th Jun 2006, 06:58
"Shadenfreud" an untranslateable German word whose closest approach is "guilty pleasure" or as Lord Annan said "The feeling experienced by a poor man who has no car when he sees two brand new Mercedes Benz crash in front of him".

Good on yas Qantas! As you sow so shall you reap. Do you think you can send out a crew from HM to do temporary repairs, then fly it back to Sydney and fix it permanently? Not any more!

Do you have the expertise in structural engineering to design the repair? Perhaps not? Do you have the skilled sheet metal trades. Not any more.

Furthermore, every heavy maintenance organisation knows what its going to cost you to have this aircraft sittting idle and will charge you top dollar.

Translation: All your "savings" from sacking heavy maintenance have just evaporated.

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Jun 2006, 09:01
Being Marshal'd ? Doh!

Reminds me of a story I heard where a Herc taxiied into something (can't remember what for the life of me now..). Had a wing walker with arms spread out and two thumbs up. Apparently he thought he was indicating "You'll hit by this much". :uhoh:

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Jun 2006, 09:07
Interesting.. might explain why half of first class was full of QF staff on QF108 on the 31st. Poor buggers!! No wonder a few of them were digging into the Dom :)
In other news the QF Cabin crew were outstanding. :D :ok:

soldier of fortune
7th Jun 2006, 03:14
...........VH -OEE ?

Transition Layer
7th Jun 2006, 03:49
VH-OEE it is

Shot Nancy
7th Jun 2006, 05:36
PAF, it was a HS 748, and it ended up hitting the ARDU hangar at EDN.
"I was indicating the overlap"

What about the MIR that taxied under the wing/horizontal stab of a C130 but on return got stuck because he was much lighter and hence higher on the oleos?

Taxying accidents - those that have and those that are going to.

Taxying in confined areas can be difficult. Management are usually quick to blame the commander.

max autobrakes
7th Jun 2006, 07:24
I wonder if the Manager who wrote the FSO that the "troops" followed implicitly ref: hand marshalling in JFK, will be back from holidays tomorrow?:}

Pass-A-Frozo
11th Jun 2006, 04:39
Management are usually quick to blame the commander.

Yeah the old saying "There is no excuse for a taxiing incident".

I wonder if the Manager who wrote the FSO that the "troops" followed implicitly ref: hand marshalling in JFK, will be back from holidays tomorrow? I imagine the captain has a copy of that letter.

Anymore news on this?? How have the front enders been treated?

Bolty McBolt
11th Jun 2006, 05:03
Word has it !
When BA use this bay at JFK the aircraft is towed in but QF declined the option in their handling contract to save the cost of a tow in.

NOICE way to save a buck :ok:

rmcdonal
11th Jun 2006, 11:15
When BA use this bay at JFK the aircraft is towed in but QF declined the option in their handling contract to save the cost of a tow in. :D :D :D
Must be hard to judge the distance from the wingtip to any object, especially from the LH seat where I am guessing even being able to see the RH Wing tip would be impossible. Could have been worse, the pilot could have put a bit of thrust on to get it going again :E :E :E .

2b2
11th Jun 2006, 11:31
Word has it !
When BA use this bay at JFK the aircraft is towed in but QF declined the option in their handling contract to save the cost of a tow in.
NOICE way to save a buck :ok:

jeez, I hope that's right:ugh: :D

make for a good TV story - Naomi?

planemad2
11th Jun 2006, 21:28
Was this on an unusual bay, that is not one of the main bays? :confused:

Just from experience I know that hand marshalling on the JFK ITR is very much against the rules. :ooh:

Feather #3
11th Jun 2006, 23:40
Err...when I go into the BA terminal at JFK, I get hand marshalled onto the gate all the time. However, I've never been into Gate 3; always the outer gates.

And what the devil's an ITR??:confused:

Cheers ;)

planemad2
12th Jun 2006, 00:10
It may be different there if BA own that terminal. :confused:

However at the ITR (International Ramp) it is not allowed, I know because we tried it one day and were told off in no uncertain terms by the Port Authority. :eek:

You have to use the fixed guidance lights. :=

Feather #3
12th Jun 2006, 03:59
So they close the ITR during a major power failure or a gate if the parking system goes down?? Fascinating, but nothing the Port Authority does would surprise me.

Thanks for the decode; never know when you'll need it!

G'day ;)

PS...BA do own T7.

planemad2
12th Jun 2006, 04:16
Not sure during a major power failure (just don't call it a blackout as I did := ), but yes to one gate not working, that is how I got into trouble, our Aircraft was taxiing in to our assigned gate and the system wasn't working, and as the Aircraft was almost at the gate I marshalled it in, they said to never do it again, you must request a gate change. :ugh:

IF you are only ever QF then the ITR shouldn't affect you, it is for all the other non aligned Foreign Airlines. Although you will hear it mentioned on ATC, and you may be asked to give way to someone entering or leaving the ITR. ;)

Taildragger67
14th Jun 2006, 13:01
So where are we now? Is the beast still there or airborne again?

What of the crew?

Keg
15th Jun 2006, 18:30
Crew were returned to flying normally scheduled programming as soon as they felt able. They're on the roster with no action being required to be taken in any way.

It pleases me to say that it appears that the company has done the right thing by them in this case! :ok:

max autobrakes
22nd Jun 2006, 12:19
What about the manager who wrote the Flight Standing Order.
Do they get taken off managing duties until the "incident" is investigated? :}

relax737
24th Jun 2006, 02:23
Hey buster, they tried to put that one over in BGK as well. "We were being marshalled", Oops, what is the marshaller doing on the # 5 fairway??

And no screaming, terrified pax as the the pilot/s fought for control?? Come on Age, you can do better than this.

Big Unit
24th Jun 2006, 07:08
VH- OEE was back in sydney earlier this week.