PDA

View Full Version : Western Australian Aviation College (WAAC)

jobsworth
8th Dec 2005, 10:56
Further to a recent question I posted recently.

I have been contacted by a representative from the Western Australian Aviation College in Perth. They are offering JAA integrated ATPL courses at a significantly cheaper price than some of the English based schools. Having searched the forums there doesn’t seem to be a deal of recent information regarding them.

Personally only having a brief opportunity to look at there web site and the few bits I have read, it doesn’t look too bad. They seem to be tied in with Cranfield.

What I am still unsure of is, after obtaining a class one medical, do I then hand over the cash, fly to Australia, sit the 57 week course having no previous flying experience and leave with a frozen ATPL, ready to apply for jobs in the UK?

Do I then have to factor in living expenses?

How would UK employers view this type of approach?

Thanks again.

smith
8th Dec 2005, 11:46
There is not much information about WAAC as they have only recently recieved approval to run JAA courses and as such there have been no graduates yet, I think the first integrated course starts early next year. I am sure you will have to factor living costs into it however I am not sure if accomdation is included in the price. The only integrated course where you do not have to factor living expenses is FTE in Jerez, Spain where accom and meals are included in the price.

OAT and Cabair students have to pay for accomodation and food.

finals24
8th Dec 2005, 20:24
Definitely worthy of serious consideration.

The JAA course was set up by Mark Davies, ex Oxford and Wycombe. Top guy and good instructor - he must be....got me through my IR 1st time.

If you want more info give Mark a ring at WAAC.

That aside, Perth is a great City, with as excellent climate. Also if we keep beating them at sporting events even the Ausies are tolerable!!

Good luck

jobsworth
9th Dec 2005, 07:41
Thanks for that,

I still have a little while before i would be in a position to consider a career change, i.e finish renovating the house i may plan to flog in order to fulfill a dream. I think it would be worthwhile watching and seeing if any feedback regarding this college comes out.

Michael123
18th Mar 2006, 15:58
Hi there,

I am recently accepted at the new Integrated JAA ATPL course at the WAAC in Perth WA. The course starts at the 24th of July. I passed my class 1 medical a few days ago as well. Are there any people here who have some good or maybe bad experiences with the WAAC? Or are there any other people who are accepted onto this course too?
I hope to hear your experiences from you.

Michael

anthperry
9th Apr 2006, 17:58
Hi there i studied at WAAC 2004, i can try an answer any of your questions. PM me

Anth

alexflynn86
21st Apr 2006, 13:59
Done all the searches, but to no joy on this one so wondered what you wonderful ladies & gentlemen know about this college? I would be wanting to do the ATPL Intergrated there. It's not the cheapest, but it sounds like they do take good care of you.
Let me know if you have any pointers, as I've only really just started looking for places to train! I'm nearly PPL'd up, just have to wait for a spell of nice weather, and then hopefully it wont be much longer! So any tips would be fantastic!
Regards,
Alex

tacpot
21st Apr 2006, 15:49
I understand the WA ATPL Theory course is based on course material from Cranfield Aviation Training Services (CATS). I have seen the CATS ATPL material and it is of a high quality.

Sorry I can't provide any further information.

tp

stockportonealpha
29th May 2006, 12:38
Just wondering if anyone has been to this college or has any further info regarding them!! I want to do a JAA Ab Initio ATPL course, and they have an integrated version.

My main concern at this stage is my 'employability' once training is complete - My understanding is that you have a greater chance of employment with an airline if you have completed an integrated course - e.g. OAT/Cabair/FTE/WAAC? But is it worth the extra cash?!

WAAC's course is £20k less than OAT's, but would the UK airlines be sceptical about this training and therefore less likely to find work?!

Any ideas or help appreciated!?!

Cheers!

Hamil000
31st May 2006, 22:55
hi guys, iam HAMIL from EASt London uk( wanna be)

i have to say that schools in england suck, i think schools or colleges in england are very boring compared to usa or east africa , where i have recently had an education.

so iam thinking of getting my National dipolma in applied sciences and going to australia to do my Airline pilot course

is anyone in that flight schoool and does anyone no anything about it.
i have been on there website, it OK, but i need some one to telll me somthing

THNK U

AIRWAY
1st Jun 2006, 10:05
i have to say that schools in england suck, i think schools or colleges in england are very boring compared to usa or east africa , where i have recently had an education.

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but didn't they teach you how to spell in the States and SA? :p :ok:

stockportonealpha
1st Jun 2006, 15:06
Actually I posted a similar question on the 25th May - but no responces yet.... Any Help would be appreciated!!!...

Just wondering if anyone has been to this college or has any further info regarding them!! I want to do a JAA Ab Initio ATPL course, and they have an integrated version.

My main concern at this stage is my 'employability' once training is complete - My understanding is that you have a greater chance of employment with an airline if you have completed an integrated course - e.g. OAT/Cabair/FTE/WAAC? But is it worth the extra cash?!

WAAC's course is £20k less than OAT's, but would the UK airlines be sceptical about this training and therefore less likely to find work?!

Any ideas, information or help appreciated!?!

Cheers!

anthperry
1st Jun 2006, 21:41
Damn god school, studied there myself, cant comment on employability, much the same as everywhere else i guess. PM me if u want info

BillieBob
1st Jun 2006, 23:06
Here we go again! WAAC have not yet started the flight training element of their first JAA course (although they have held the approval for almost a year) and so nobody knows how it compares with any of the established integrated courses. anthperry is an employee of WAAC (although he/she will obviously deny it) and his/her opinion is, therefore, of limited value.

The statement "cant comment on employability" is correct only because no graduate of the JAA course has yet been employed!!

anthperry
2nd Jun 2006, 05:48
Why do you PRESUME i work for WAAC, just because ive studied there and happen to comment on their facilities and instructors??.....Suggest you concentrate on facts,,,,and dot speculate fella!!:)

Peto
2nd Jun 2006, 09:34
Just a quick point of order on previous comment from Billiebob. I am an employee of WAAC and I can state categorically that Anthperry is not an employee of this college. He is a former student who we enjoyed having here. I am pleased that he is prepared to share his positive experiences at our college with interested parties. :ok:

Hamil000
2nd Jun 2006, 18:44
tell me your whole general opinon about the college
include the people, the life the training qaulity the enviroment and the ladies
THANK YOU

anthperry
4th Jun 2006, 02:04
As said m8 PM me for details otherwise what ever i say will be questioned

AP

scroggs
4th Jun 2006, 09:10
As ever on Pprune, the discussion of anything Antipodean seems to descend with frightening rapidity into a slanging match, with suspicions of conspiracies and so on. A read through the Dunnunda & Godzone forums reveals a region that, at least in aviation, seems to be permanently at war with itself!

Anyway, as WAAC is becoming potentially a player for UK-based JAA students, it would be helpful if we could get some comprehensive, intellligible, unbiased information on the school, its environs (both air and ground), and how students are finding life there. As ever, we have to watch for employees inserting over-favourable information, but really such a thing is quite rare - and thank you to Peto for declaring your interest from the outset.

Information not conflict please, people.

Scroggs

Peto
5th Jun 2006, 04:24
Concur with your sentiment Scroggs, unbiased information is sometimes in short supply. Whilst I have offered my opinion about our college in the past (in good faith), it has drawn accusations of biased marketing etc which I geuss is understandable. As such, it is probably appropriate for me to only state hard facts and leave the marketing up to our former and current customers if they wish to voice any opinions about us. Also, I think it goes against the protocol of this sight to use it for unpaid advertising. To address the questions about more information about WAAC, our website for those who have not seen it is www.waaviationcollege.com
We received CAA approval last year for Integrated and Modular JAR training. We currently have modular students sitting courses at our college and our first Integrated course starts on July 24. We attend the Flyer Shows at Heathrow for those who wish to talk to us face to face. I believe the next one is in November. Always happy to answer questions from interested parties. We can be contacted by e-mail from website. We have always encouraged current and former customers to speak openly and honestly about their experiences at our college. I hope they choose to do so.:ok:

topgunmavrick
31st Jul 2006, 18:53
Hi All,

Just wondering if any knows much about WAAC?! Application process, quality etc for the JAA Intergrated course....

Trying to find out as much as possible!

Currently about to complete my PPL in the UK, and wanting to go where the sun shines and I can make the most out of the course rather than being stuck in the UK!

Thanks for all your help!

Cirrus_Clouds
1st Aug 2006, 13:42
"Currently about to complete my PPL in the UK, and wanting to go where the sun shines and I can make the most out of the course rather than being stuck in the UK!"

Hey, exactly as myself, had good experiences with the british weather as well then? hehe

I know I would prefer to do a solid course abroad and not doing it in the UK, being prevented from getting airbourne - this has happend too many times during my PPL training!

zivd
4th Aug 2006, 23:56
hi all,

does anyone know any good instructors at WAAC ? I will visit Perth in this coming September. At the mean while I will take a look of the school as well.
As Peto mentioned earlier ago, the integrated program was only started on July 24th. it doesn't seem to have a lot of histories from the past eh. Does anyone have any comments here?

any advices would be greatly appreicated

cheers,

go-apb
5th Aug 2006, 08:31
I’ve not seen much in the way of feedback from past JAA/JAR candidates but what I will say is that their web site is professional and concise; the response to questions I’ve posed was thorough and in-depth with no ‘hard sell’.

If the training is of a similar standard to what I’ve encountered so far then I’d have no worries committing my ‘hard earned’ to WAAC. In fact I’m currently giving it some serious consideration.

I shouldn’t imagine there would be much feedback yet as their JAA/JAR syllabus is in its infancy.

No, I’m not a WAAC employee – I’m just a great believer in first impressions, obviously thorough research is required before shelling out £40k+, however WAAC offer staggered payments and they have been running CASA (Aussie) courses for years.

The Mixmaster
8th Aug 2006, 22:36
Hi there,

I am recently accepted at the new Integrated JAA ATPL course at the WAAC in Perth WA. The course starts at the 24th of July. I passed my class 1 medical a few days ago as well. Are there any people here who have some good or maybe bad experiences with the WAAC? Or are there any other people who are accepted onto this course too?
I hope to hear your experiences from you.

Michael

Hey Michael, if you're still posting on this site, just wondered if you'd like to share any of your first impressions and experiences at WAAC.

I'm seriously considering applying for the course that starts at the end of October, it's always been an ambition of mine to go and live in Oz for a bit and what better way to do so than do my training out there!! Bit of sun, sea, sand etc:} would go down a treat rather than being stuck rainy England over the winter. Also coincides with The Ashes..hmm I think I've just convinced myself in this post to apply for em!!

Has anyone else heard anything about the start of this course? And is it true that this is the only CAA/JAA recognised integrated course along with Cabair, FTE and OAT?

Peto
9th Aug 2006, 03:40
Hi Mixmaster,
I am an employee of the Western Australian Aviation College and wanted to answer a couple of your questions. We are currently processing applications for the next Integrated JAR course which commences on 30 October. It is true that we are one of only four organisations approved by the U.K. CAA to conduct JAR Integrated training.
You can e-mail us from our website www.waaviationcollege.com.au if you have any other questions. :ok:

The Mixmaster
9th Aug 2006, 23:40
Nice1 Peto, have emailed you guys with some queries:ok:

If I do go with you guys can you promise me one of the student houses with a swimming pool? :}

Peto
10th Aug 2006, 04:08
Hi Mixmaster,
Funnily enough that is a fairly common request. I can't promise anything but we would certainly do our best! :ok:
Peto

zivd
11th Aug 2006, 18:40
hi Mixmaster, will you go to Oz and take a look of the school before deciding whether or not you wanna study there?
I will visit WAAC on this coming September for the assessment test because I'm considering applying for the course that starts at the end of October as well.

Cheers,
zivd

The Mixmaster
11th Aug 2006, 19:00
Alright zivd, I'm basically waiting for my CTC, ThomsonFLy/FTE and Cabair/FLYbe applications to run their course as I can't really justify spending the $400 on just applying to WAAC with these other three schemes still outstanding. Hopefully I'll know in time as WAAC does look really good and would be my first choice if these other things don't come through.

If I do apply I doubt I'll fly out just to have a look round, going on what people have said and the schools website it all looks sound. I take it you've already applied, is there an option to take the assessment test in The UK?

Good luck with it man!:ok:

zivd
11th Aug 2006, 20:29
hi Mixmaster, I don't think there is an option to take the assessment test in UK, but the best way is to contact their employees for any enquiries.

If any of your sponsorship schemes don't come through, will you try the self sponsored integrated program with FTE / Cabair?? I am just curious because I am still thinking whether I should commence my trainings with one of these schools instead of WAAC.

Anyways, Good luck with your interviews :ok:

The Mixmaster
11th Aug 2006, 21:03
Nice1 man, I'm hoping they'll give me the option to do the interviews etc in Cranfield, seems a bit much to ask their prospective students to fly out to Oz just to do a suitably test. Would be a complete pisser if you didn't get in!

Personally If I had to go down the self sponsored route I'd do it with WAAC as long as I could do the assessment tests in the UK and get a loan to cover it. If not I'd most likely go with FTE. Cabair and especially OAT don't appeal from my experiences of them and from what I've heard from others, however if I were to get on the Flybe scheme with Cabair I wouldn't give it a second's thought. From what I can make out CTC is the ideal FTO. Cabair, who I've had flying lessons with, have excellent instructors but their ground staff have seemed proper offkey whenever I've been there. I've spoken to OAT marketing reps at the London Air Show and have researched them a lot on here, to be honest the atmosphere of the place and the price puts me off massively.

I'm also considering Stapleford which is significantly cheaper but seeing as their relationship with Barclays has come to an end, I'd find it difficult to fund the course.

Just out of interest have you got one of those professional studies loans to pay for WAAC? As far as I can see they're a max of £25,000 which leaves over £16,000 of course fee's I would potentially need to find. Have you or has anyone else had any problems or issues applying for a bank loan for an FTO that is based abroad? I'm hoping british banks would be receptive seeing as its only one of four JAA integrated courses.

hmm that was quite the essay:}

zivd
11th Aug 2006, 22:01
cool, I haven't actually talked with any of the banks yet because they need a prove from the school that u've applied in order to make the loan secure. However, as far as l know the maximum that you can borrow as a personal loan is £25,000. Also, you may want to try CDL (career develop loan) as well, the maximum is £8,000. That's the only two ways I can think of.
To be honest, can we apply two banks at the same time for 25,000 K loan? greatly appreciated if any advices.

If you read under WAAC faq section there's actually a topic under "Can I take out a loan for course fees?" It says, "The Western Australian Aviation College is a registered Learning Provider (number 12124) and consequently students may apply for a loan from Career Development Loans. Contact the CDL Information Line on UK Freephone 0800 585 505"
I guess the maximum is only 8,000 pounds for the course. I will see after I come back from Oz.

Actually, Cabair has already accepted me for self integrated course. However, I am still thinking are there any better options.
give me some comments Mixmaster

Cheers

The Mixmaster
11th Aug 2006, 22:17
For info bout Cabair check here, I've found it pretty useful.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205080

Personally I'd go with FTE or WAAC (if it was viable) over Cabair. Look into CTC too. For a modular route check out Stapleford.

The prospect of being stuck in Cranfield for a year really doesn't excite me even if the levels of tuition are top notch. Reckon I could deal with it if I got on this Flybe scheme however. Thats just me tho man, being stuck between Milton Keynes and Bedford may be your idea of heaven:}

zivd
11th Aug 2006, 22:34
I read that link before, but thanks

good luck. :ok:

Peto
14th Aug 2006, 02:09
Just to answer one of your questions, the assessment test and interview procedure can be done in the U.K. There is no requirement to come to Australia to complete either of those processes. Please contact us direct at the college for details.
Peto :ok:

AirAssault
15th Aug 2006, 09:29
Hi there, been reading a lot of posts regarding WAAC!

Just wondering if anyone is on the October course? Or even if anyone who is on the July course has any feedback suggestions etc?

Cheers.....

cloudz
28th Aug 2006, 13:35
Out of interest how are the first lot of integrated students doing out in Perth?

What are your experiences so far good or bad?

adam83
8th Sep 2006, 09:32
hi...
i am thinking of going there to do the jaa integrated course.
has anyone heard good/bad things about the college???
cheers!!!!

Doire
18th Oct 2006, 03:14
Does anyone have any experience of Western or heard any reports?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

brisdude
29th Oct 2006, 14:32
The Aeroplane Company in WA also offer a JAA course, I've heard from a number of people they're they outfit to pick over there. I looked at heading over not too long ago but I stuck to the east coast of aust.

Good luck

LJones
20th Dec 2006, 08:44
Hello people,
I am thinkin of going to WAAC and i would like to know the entrance process. As in, amount of people accepted, academic, interview and information about the exam which is required to be taken in order to be accepted.

Any information will be useful.

Cheers,

Lloyd Jones :ok:

tooty
21st Dec 2006, 02:13
Ljones,

In my experience going through WAAC, I sat an aptitude test and did an interview. The aptitude test covered some aeronautical knowledge, some aviation general knowledge, some basic mathemathics and language skills. I don't recall what else.

The interview was with the Chief, SRB, Chevy Chase, himself. The discussion covered a few things, the only one I recall being 'how would I deal with things as a Captain/Manager'.

The process is not exacting. There are obviously minimum standards as one would expect from aviation, but bear in mind that the market for WAAC is small and the money they will make from you is not. As long as you're not bankrupt or a mung bean you probably be accepted. If you are both you have other issues! Dont misinterpret me here, I think WAAC was an excellent way to do the CPL and the other bits. I really enjoyed the whole year and and made some lifelong friends.

Class sizes vary. My class had a handful but the intake after had about 20. It depends on the time of the year. To avoid being subjected to pimply immortal teenagers, avoid the intake suiting school leavers.

SiberianLion
23rd Dec 2006, 23:41
Anyone tell me where I can get example entrance exam papers from for WAAC? First time going for an entrance exam so unsure as to what to expect. I know the post above has given a list but what does Basic Aviation Knowledge cover? etc along with the rest.

SiberianLion
30th Dec 2006, 16:58
Anyone starting at WAAC in Feb 07?

deltaxray
2nd Mar 2007, 15:18
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me??????
Im looking into flight schools and I came across Weastern australian aviation college. Does anyone have info or feedback from the school? I was also wondering if they work in conjunction with cranfield in the uk??
Thanks in advance!!!!:ok:

Turbine King
2nd Mar 2007, 20:30
They use CATS study guides and automatic progress test marking

the CPL flight is done in Oz

and the IR I think is completed in U.K.

KezFlyer
7th Mar 2007, 04:44
Hi, sorry if this has been done to death but I did a few searches and couldn't find the right info.

As a UK resident currently living in Sydney I am looking at doing my CPL with Instructor Rating over here and then while working as an instructor I would like to to my JAA ATPL conversion/exams via Western Australia Aviation College, then I plan to return to the UK with my shiny new JAA licence and get a position in the airlines, the reason for my overconfidence?! My friend in the UK with 0 hours outside of his JAA training has just been accepted into a FO position with BA Connect and has started type rating training on the Embraer 145, so things seem to be looking good in Blighty.

Has anyone out there done what I am planning to do? Does anyone have an opinion on what the airlines think about JAA's gained through the conversion route?

Any advice, as ever much appreciated
KezFlyer

Alex 009
7th Mar 2007, 08:54
Not done, but am planning too. I have both dual Aussie and British Citizenship, and as I have spent a good half of my life in Blighty, am looking at going back there. Next month I start my Intstructor Rating and upon completion plan to look for a job around good ol'e YSBK. I had a good look into Perth for the ATPLs, but after sitting the CASA CPLs, I do believe that I will benefit more from a classroom enviroment as apposed to Distance Study (like Perth). I am not pushing any negative information on Perth, I am just saying that I believe for myself the classroom is were I will be for learning...others may be completely different.

I am looking at the 'Oxfords' and the 'Cabairs' for this. My congratulations to your mate who got into BA connect, but did he do Intergrated or Modular training. By the sounds of it he did Intergrated (would love to be wrong), and alot of the airlines sniff around the training schools for newbies. All of us would love to jump into the RHS of an A320/B737/E145 straight away but for alot of us, hour building is the key. Instructing is a good way to go about it as aforementioned, but please dont go about it as just a sole means of hour building. I have met a few instructors like this, and they are fairly useless. The best have been the ones who have the passion, and want to help other on their way. My plan is to get over the 700 TT mark before heading back, and even then I am going to be playing it safe by converting the instructor rating. I am not saying YOU will not be excepted into an airline if you have anyless, but from what I can gather (from friends who are back in the UK now) is that the more hours, the better chance you will have.

I apologise for the length of the Thread, but all the best with your training and whatever path you chose.
Alex

The Mixmaster
25th Apr 2007, 02:41
So the first intake on the integrated course must have or be close to finishing now, any feedback on the quality of training? How's the job hunt back in JAA land going?

doraolive
25th Apr 2007, 07:09
They have students there at the moment I believe going through the integrated course. Once the students have finished they tell me that they then come back to the UK and train with Bonus Aviation at Cranfield. I have spoken with Bonus who seem to have an excellent IR and CPL pass rate at the moment.

mrbungle
27th Apr 2007, 10:20
Any Irish people planning on doing the JAA ATPL in Western Aviation Australia later this year or early next year ?

Let me know.

The Mixmaster
28th Apr 2007, 06:58
Anyone out there now give us the lowdown on this place?

Student513
28th Apr 2007, 08:18
I am a student there. The quality of training is very good, the Ground school Instructors are a hive of knowledge. The aircraft are of good quality and maintenance is equally good. There are only 3 flying instructors at present but this is in the process of being increased.

I know the first JAA Integrated course are running slightly behind due to teething problems (as you would expect) but they are the only class in this position and seem to be rapidly getting back on schedule.

Flying standards are very high and you have to be absolutely on the ball to pass any progress tests.

All in all I would recommend it. It's a good way of life over here in the sunshine and the learning is neither too hard nor too easy.

ATPLwhoops
29th Apr 2007, 22:13
Hi All,

I'm joining the school soon, I went to visit the school and i must admit i was impressed. I am looking forward to starting there.

If you want some more info pm me!

ATPLWhoops

bananaman2
4th May 2007, 18:19
Hi there

I'm currently looking into my options for attaining a (f)ATPL and for someone starting out from scratch the following organisations have been listed as offering a fully JAA approved integrated course: OAT, FTE, Cabair and Western Australia Aviation College(WAA).

My preferred options right now are Cabair and WAA. However, although there is much history and knowledge about OAT, FTE and Cabair, the same doesn't appear to be the case about WAA. This seems to be a new course and this post is really to pick the brains of anyone out there who might have some views and knowledge about this school and course.

Has anyone started or possibly completed the Integrated course at WAA, what is the training/instructors like, has anyone got a job/likely to get a job from it - is it recognised by many airlines/good airline contacts etc.

Any comments appreciated.

Many Thanks

monkeys
23rd May 2007, 08:56
Hey all,

Ive just applied for the Feb 2008 course at WAAC and was wondering if any of you lot could let me know what the entrance exam is like?

ta!

Student513
23rd May 2007, 09:36
Hi

I'd brush up on basic aircraft knowledge, long division and multiplication (make sure you are slick at this as getting the related questions out of the way gives you more time on the other ones that you may find take more time). Apart from that just basic maths and I guess physics. There are a few logical reasoning questions and basic grammar ones too.

It's not rocket science and if you brush up on the above then you should be fine.

Best of luck!

SiberianLion
23rd May 2007, 14:31
There is an english test to test your grammer too.. some basic knowledge about current airlines and aircraft types - very general and broad ranged so don't go crazy revising about just one airline. If you did AS or A Level maths (Mechanics) you should find the maths/physics questions easy.

If not, just take a Letts revision guide from WH Smiths and start revising some AS Level Maths and you'll be fine.

roxar
21st Jun 2007, 21:50
hi guys,
im looking forward to enter WAAC..
anyone knows after we finish the entrance exam is there another test like interview or wat?..
and how many question in entrance exam?..
:}

roxar
4th Jul 2007, 19:51
hi,
anyone had been interview with WAAC before?..
mind to share?
please...:)

Pin Head
4th Jul 2007, 20:08
What the deal? Money? Housing? Hours worked?

Llen
14th Jul 2007, 13:10
Ok guys - whats the deal with this FTO?

They are one of the 4 approved integrated FTO's and appear to offer the best deal yet they seldom appear in the age old integrated v modular debate (unlike say OAT)!!!

Please could someone shed some light? :ugh:

Are there any students that could comment on the quality of the instruction, aircraft, accomodation, etc?

Llen

Turbine King
14th Jul 2007, 13:50
Depends if you want to go to Australia or not?

The first students are doing their IRs at Bonus Aviation Cranfield and seem to be going o.k.
The Ground training is supported by CATS online and on occasional months they have beaten CATS's own high pass rates
They have a good team of experienced instructors - both ground and flight

They offer Modular and Integrated as far as I know

TK

Llen
14th Jul 2007, 14:02
Thanks TK.

But thats my point really - is going to Oz that big a deal in comparison to the other 3 FTOs who conduct large chunks of their training in the USA or Spain.

So putting the location aside, it seems like a very good integrated option based on your comments.

Do you know if they have the same 'relationships' with airlines that the others claim to have?

Llen

Ronnie1317
22nd Jul 2007, 00:14
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about WAAC.
Anyone considering going there?/ or gone there?

Thanks

Capt Narcissus
25th Jul 2007, 16:11
Hello Guys,
I knw a friend who wanted to enroll at WAAC and frm wht I hear, their Advance Diploma of Aviation does not include any multi-engine and instrument flying time. All you get is Multi-Engine and Instrument Ground school. So add another 20-25 quid. Besides, their aircrafts are actually a part of the Flying club they share their campus with.
Best of luck..

Peto
26th Jul 2007, 02:57
Hi All,
I work for WAAC. Just wanted to clarify one point above from Capt Narcissus. Our college conducts both CASA (Australian) and JAR Integrated training courses. They are completely seperate from each other and both are fully approved by their relevant authorities (U.K. CAA in the case of the JAR course). The Advanced Diploma course that the Captain mentions is the Australian Integrated course and he is quite correct when he says that it does not include multi nor IR flying. The JAR Integrated course, however, does include multi and IR and culminates in your IR skills test and MCC training in the UK during the final phase of the course. The cost for our JAR Integrated course that you see advertised on our website is for a complete ATP Integrated course including multi IR and MCC training. Hope this info helps. :ok:
Peto

novicepilot
13th Aug 2007, 15:05
I read other posts about integrated courses and some Flying Schools recommending and having contacts with airlines.

Does anyone know if the Western Australian Aviation College has a good network, and if they are close to ant airlines?

To take it a step further any comments on their reputation in the Industry and quality of training etc?

Thanks

Mobba
11th Sep 2007, 07:59
Hi, I realize this thread title has been used before but I am looking for some advice. I am seriously considering undertaking a JAA Integrated ATPL(A) Course at the WesternAustralianAviationCollege: http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/ (http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/). Has anyone attended this school that could provide some feedback? Does undertaking training in Australia undermine your chances of getting a Job in Europe in any way, the obvious benefit of undertaking the training in Australia is the cost one as far as I can see.

I understand the college has to cancel a recent course, has anyone heard anything about this.

Many Thanks

11th Sep 2007, 10:21
Hi there,

I worked for the college as a flight instructor and to be honest they are a very well set up company who have a very good reputation with the British CAA and our first course is about to go back to the UK. CPL skills test pass rates are high and so are the theory pass rates. The Staff are real profesionals who have a wealth of experience and will do their best to deliver what they promise.

Each course is run more efficiently then the previous course as there is constant improvement in all aspects of our trainees program.

I hope that helps

monkeys
19th Sep 2007, 19:05
Hey Guys,

Ive passed the written test for the Feb course next year and i was wondering if anyone could help with the interview part?

Ive been told ill be 15-20mins, anyone know what im going to be asked?

heartbomb
24th Oct 2007, 10:08
I just came into Australia last week to check this college out (call me crazy but it was money well spent) ...and I clicked instantly...this was the place for me. I highly recommend it, the learning environment is great. They are very welcoming to international students, and the area is nice too.

Having said that, it's best to check out the schools before committing yourself. You may find that it's not your cup of tea.

skygold
24th Oct 2007, 13:26
Hi all

Trying to come up with a total figure for the whole training.So looking into WAAC site, it offers the JAA integrated ATPL for £ 52,955 to that you add Test fees wich i budyet around £2,222 and £3,300 for accommodation in Australia. I also guess that you have to add the accommodation when you are back to the UK for the last stage.
I am right to say that you need to budget around £60k for the whole training???

bobdebobber
3rd Nov 2007, 22:51
Hi,

I have just spoken to a couple of guys from WAAC at the 'FLYER' convention at Heathrow and they seem to know what they are talking about and seem like a real nice bunch of guys.
I would appreciate any info on the course / quality of instruction etc. from anyone that is doing / has done the Integrated ATPL course or visited the school. I am looking to commence the course some time next year so any info would be appreciated.

Also if you could let me know what the assesment centres cover as i am new to all this.

Thanks.
:confused:

WimDB
27th Nov 2007, 16:40
how's the housing at WAAC?

ATPLwhoops
1st Dec 2007, 05:05
Hello All,

I am a JAR student at the WAAC and i just want to re-assure all the people that would like to join this school that i could not be happier. A busy airport in controlled air space, a lot of R/T work is needed its very busy. Ground school instructors are top, they know their manuals and teach very well. Flying instructors are also fantastic a mix of Europeans and Australian instructors all JAR certified and very experienced.

Housing could be better but they are upgrading one of the houses before the entrance of the new JAR students in January so all should be good.

Good bunch of people here, me and my class mates are happy.

If you want any other info feel free to send me a private message.

ATPLWhoops

WimDB
2nd Dec 2007, 15:56
It's interesting to hear that everything is fine there. Personally for me housing is also important, bc I want a room for my own to study,, sharing a house or apt isn't a problem for me.

Like the situation is now, I gonna choose for WAAC. There's one thing I have doubt about,, If I wanna stay in AUZ and can migrate to there, I maybe take the CASA course instead of the JAR course,, it's probably cheaper.

Maybe I should tour around the country to see how it is, and then make a decision.

AIRWAY
2nd Dec 2007, 17:33
Hello there,

If you meet all the immigration requirements with regards to the skill/work experience (etc...) then it should be no problem...

Now if you are thinking in staying and using your chosen skill during the application as "Aircraft Pilot", better look at immi.gov.au website, I believe it has been taken off the list.

Regards,

Airway

WimDB
3rd Dec 2007, 17:33
yeah, for pilot you receive 0 points. For migration as a skilled offset print machineoperator, I have 130 points or something, more then enough for a permanent visa

likair
11th Dec 2007, 16:51
Hello,

Anyone having any experiences with WAAC?
They offer JAA Integrated Course.

Any info of what the initial exams consist of?
(verbal/numerical reasoning, COMPASS)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regards

likair
12th Dec 2007, 16:42
THanks for the info.

WimDB
29th Dec 2007, 18:28
I'm seriously considering to go to WAAC for my JAR ATPL license. I see they're course runs in 60 weeks, isn't this a bit to short? If I calculate on 5 days a week of 8 hour inclusive practical training, that's like an average of 5 h lessons a day.

The whole package theory + practical is 1108 hours.

Now my question is: on what level are the lessons at WAAC?

Turbine King
29th Dec 2007, 22:39
I've met some of the WAAC students after they come back to the Uk for their IRs and they did well. Also saw the interviews at CATS in December for their next intake and it was impressive. The students are super keen but had it explained that the course in Oz is a long way from home and you are there to study. I think they do about 6.5 h study per day on the ground school, then knocked out their CPLs then back over here for the IR.

Hope youll get some feedback from the actual WAAC students in here as they'll know much more

WimDB
30th Dec 2007, 18:48
yeah, that's what I had in mind, that you are there to study 7/7
Though 6,5h of lessons a day, and then study all the lessons seems a bit to much for me. And for me it'll be all in English, my first language is Dutch

bwfly88
25th Feb 2008, 05:15
Does anyone know what the application process consists of, ie. is it all conducted over one day (like OAA) or over a seperate days (like CTC). Wouls UK students have to fly over to Oz to go through it or is there an oppertunity to do it over here as I see there is a UK office?

Thanks, :ok:

bwfly88
27th Feb 2008, 06:56
Thanks, that makes life a lot easier!

Mobba
9th Mar 2008, 20:45
Hi, does anyone know about the employment record for WAAC ? Is this College well respected by the airlines in comparison to Oxford or Jerez ?

Any information / opinions would be very welcome.

Air Slidder
20th Apr 2008, 18:36
Hi there

Have read the entire thread and nobody seems to have answered anything to do with employment, and how WAAC is viewed by the UK airline companies. I know that people have said that the school is a good one, but the proof is that the students of any FTO have a good employability record. If anyone has info on this please would really like to hear from you. Seeing as the course has been running now for a couple of years there should be someone!?

Air Slidder
21st Apr 2008, 17:04
Have already had a chat with WAAC on the phone and at flyer.

LJones
22nd Apr 2008, 11:52
hey just finished my second day at WAAC doing the CASA course. I love it. I was able to interact with some of the JAR instructors, if you want to do the JAR course you wont be disappointed they are a good bunch.
The classes are well informative and i have learnt quite alot in the passed few days.

would recommend to any one so far

Air Slidder
22nd Apr 2008, 13:39
What's it like out there... and what were your experiences leading up to joining the school

wadner1
6th Jun 2008, 14:27
Hi I am Jiggy i am trying to start the CPL course with WAAC but i would like to know if anyone knows or have samples of the Aptitude tests, what is it like?

wadner1
6th Jun 2008, 14:38
Hi how was the written test like? mind to share?

wadner1
6th Jun 2008, 14:51
Hi, plz how is the Aptitude tests like?

heli_port
6th Jun 2008, 15:25
Not enough has been said about employment figures, someone please elaborate rather than posting a phone number ;)

Peto
7th Jun 2008, 09:43
Hi All, I work for WAAC and notice that alot of people ask about employment figures. I completely understand why people want to know but it is not something we formally distribute at this time. There are a number of reasons for this, including the fact that as a reasonably recent training organisation for the JAR course (we have been running JAR courses for approx two and a half years and Australian intagrated courses for approx ten years) we have only graduated two JAR courses thus far and these have been into an industry that is short of crews. As such, the employment figures for these graduates, whilst impressive, is potentially inflated from the norm, and it would be inappropriate for us to put this forward as a promose to potential clients. Our primary aim is to offer a course of superb quality and value. Our continuous improvement policies unsure that every course is better than the last, and we are confident that as our graduates continue to enter the industry our reputation for quality over quantity will grow. The vast majority of our JAR graduates thus far are employed flying jets for major carriers. (I stress that I do not feel the sample size of graduates is sufficient for us to use these figures in marketing). The relevance of that statistic to future clients will depend on many things including the changing state of the industry and the effort that individual trainees put into the course. We are not, as yet, formally aligned with any airline.We are noticing though that our graduates are being offered positions surprisingly quickly after completing the course and in one case, prior to completing the course. Our next course is due to graduate in approx four to six weeks and there are currently two others behind it. Whilst I hope that they and future courses share similar success, the reality is that there are many factors that affect this, and potential trainees should try and verify and analise employment figures included in any schools marketing materiel. :ok:

heli_port
7th Jun 2008, 12:58
Peto your organisation has to understand that it is competing against 3 other integrated school, all of which are happy to release their employment figures. If you don't release them then wannabes will suspect none of your graduated courses have been employed and it's not worth bothering coming to your school! :}

If they are employed then say so and pat yourselves on the back on a job well done (i personally don't get your argument of over inflation of employment figures)

Ah well :p

Peto
7th Jun 2008, 14:08
Thanks for the interest Heliport. I guess my main point is that all the major schools have good employment figures at the moment, the state of the industry is seeing to that. Clients looking for an organisation to do their training should look beyond the initial marketing hype (including statements on employment figures which can be manipulated by marketers) and talk to previous and current students (pprune is a reasonable forum for this). Also, consider visiting the schools first (if time and funds allow) and get a feel for the place. All schools have their strengths and weaknesses. A quick scan of pprune will reveal good and bad comments about all the majors, including us. If potential trainees are basing their decision on marketing materiel employment figures alone then they are not doing sufficient research into finding the course/organisation that is right for them. Take the time, make the effort and ask as many people as you can. Flying training courses are expensive and a huge investment in your future (arguably the most important decision of your life). Making your decision on information in glossy brochures alone is a big gamble. Good luck and I hope you find the right course for you. ;)

wadner1
21st Sep 2008, 11:32
Hi Peto, plz how is the Aptitude tests like? what does is consist of?

Groundloop
22nd Sep 2008, 08:02
Why would someone in Australia want to ring the UK office? Ring WAAC in Perth directly.

mason_1988
12th Oct 2009, 09:04
Hey guys i'm looking at studying at WAAC (not the JAA course). Are there any current/former students that would be able to help me out with a little info on what its like (facilities, teaching methods, aircraft etc). Im currently living in canberra, so still weighing up my options. Thanks

flying.monkeyz
11th Feb 2011, 05:46
Dear all,

For those of you who are interested in pursuing a flying course with the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia which also owns Western Australian Aviation College, you may like to know that the Club is in serious financial difficulties. Enroll at your own risk.

Extract from RACWA's newsletter Tarmac Topics, October 2010
(http://www.royalaeroclubwa.com.au/files/files/racwaTarmacTopics/pdffile/TT-Nov_2010.pdf)

Hello Racwa members and staff.

This is my first report as President and it might be the most important report I ever write. I urge all members to read this carefully.

If you attended the recent AGM, or reviewed our Annual report, you will already have a sense that the club is in a position of very tight liquidity. We have substantial equity in Murrayfield, but the purchases of the remainder of Murrayfield and WAAC has resulted in net debt of over $2 million. Additionally we owe our creditors a substantial amount, and many of these debts are due (refer to Annual Report page 6). We are asset rich – but we cannot easily access the equity in our property and have been operating at a loss, so we are critically short of funds.

Your new committee has been in office for less than a month and has been working to quantify the extent of the problem. Over the last few weeks, we have become progressively more concerned by the extent of the current situation. As I promised in my acceptance speech at the AGM, I am not going to sugar-coat the truth. One of the reasons we find ourselves in this situation is that management was unwilling to admit the extent of the problem. From now on, I assure you, you will be kept informed as we battle to recover the situation.

Our first action must be to arrange funds to restore our liquidity to an appropriate level. I have just signed loan documents with our bank to access a short-term overdraft for in excess of $650,000. We have no choice but to do this now, to pay our bills. There are other potential sources of cash, such as the sale of aircraft or property, but this problem is so pressing, that we are forced to take the quickest option.

You would be quite within your rights to demand an explanation as to how our club got to this point. A number of factors have contributed. External factors outside the club’s control have had an impact – the financial downturn (GFC) that took hold in 2009 has definitely had an effect. GA training and private flying volumes have both been affected negatively. More significantly however, the anticipated income from
WAAC has not eventuated. This can be attributed to a number of causes. The GFC has caused a reduction in enrolments, and a number of mid-course cancellations.
The extremely strong Australian dollar makes our product much less competitive in an international marketplace, resulting in lost sales. These problems are largely outside our control, but there have been problems within our control as well. We have not been sufficiently thorough in the management of the WAAC business. The quality of the pastoral care has been criticised, the quality of some services has
been sub-standard and courses have consistently failed to meet deadlines – these types of problems result in cost blowouts as well as dissatisfaction, cancellations
and poor testimonials. The product could have been made more competitive by restructuring, but these corrections were never made. The club was too slow
to react to the reduced intake and consequently costs exceeded income substantially for a long period of time. We have taken steps to address the immediate liquidity
issue. In the longer term, we must ensure we only embark on profitable projects, that proper business processes are defined and followed, and that our financial tracking and oversight are bulletproof. A number of exciting future possibilities exist with development at Murrayfield, and future partnerships in flying training. These must be properly managed and monitored so that we never again lose track of where our money is going. However these projects will not raise money for the club in the very near future, and we are a long way from being out of the woods yet. We are all going to have to tighten our collective belts for a number of years to come to ensure the club is on a sustainable financial footing.

The overdraft facility we have taken came with a number of onerous conditions, but given the criticality of our cash position we had no choice but to accept them. We have mortgaged Lot 11 at Murrayfield, which was previously unencumbered and we must meet an aggressive repayment schedule, set by the bank, to pay down the overdraft. If we suffer further unanticipated expenses or poor financial performance, then without the most drastic of actions, there is the very real risk of default. The bank could then foreclose and exercise its right over the mortgaged properties. I don’t need to spell out the consequences of this.

In order to reduce the risk, the committee is urgently considering options to raise cash in the immediate future, reduce expenditure and capital to sustainable levels, improve aircraft utilisation and improve cashflow in the short to medium term.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Nobody wants to impose any additional burden on members, but the very survival of Racwa might depend upon the generosity and loyalty of you, the members.

The committee is considering a number of alternatives for raising cash and/or improving Racwa’s net cash position. These include:
• Inviting RACWA members to take up an offer of debentures with a minimum value of say $5000 to $10,000 to be repaid with nominal interest in say three
years.
• A sale or part sale of Murrayfield. Murrayfield has always been touted as the insurance of Racwa’s future. Is it now time to make a claim against our insurance policy?
• A levy of say $150 to $250 on all financial ordinary members. With approximately 1200 members, this could raise as much as $200,000.
• Introduction of a minimum periodic contribution to aircraft hire – if not spent the balance is forfeited to the club e.g. minimum of $250 per quarter.
• A combination of an increase in membership fees together with an additional one-off levy.
• Sale of one or more of the poorly utilised vintage aircraft which could net more than $150,000.
• Requesting early payment of membership fees, or offering benefits for pre payment of multiple years of membership.

Please note that these are only ideas at this time. We anticipate a period of brainstorming, investigation and analysis, after which some hard decisions will be made. The solution might be a combination of a number of these alternatives. We need to do something quickly, because our debt needs to be reduced by the end of the year at the latest. One thing is certain - the club is going to ask for your assistance in the next few months. In the meantime the best thing we can all do to support the club is to hire aircraft and use the facilities.

Racwa is a proud club, with an extraordinary history. In times of difficulty in the past, the club has called on its members, and the members have always risen to the
occasion. Debentures have been issued and repaid in the past, so there is a precedent for this type of action. I have faith that our members will once again support their club, and I thank you in anticipation of your understanding and
support.

I am keen to hear from members with other ideas or feedback. As a committee we will do our best to maintain open lines of communication through this challenging
period. Working together, I am confident we can ride over this speed bump and prove that Racwa truly is a great club.

Andrew Eldridge, President

Groundloop
11th Feb 2011, 07:38
If you are an overseas student at RACWA your money is "safe" as the Australian Government has in place procedures to protect overseas students investment (in ANY educational establishment). In the very worst case scenario of a flying school going under and the money cannot be recoverd the Australian Governemt itself will pay for the student to complete training somewhere else. This was introduced a few years ago after a number of failures of colleges (not flying ones) led to a lot of overseas students losing large sums of money. Australia's reputation overseas was being badly damaged and this was introduced to protect it.

However, if you are an Ozzie student - you're on your own!

Gleavage
11th Feb 2011, 12:39
The CEO of RACWA has just resigned... again

I've been told time and time again to stay away from WAAC so i guess I'll pass on the message

flying.monkeyz
12th Feb 2011, 01:45
Another related link...

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/421311-racwa-finals-you-were-warned.html

Nirak
12th Feb 2011, 13:17
Gleavage

I am a spectator to the happenings at WAAC and Racwa. I would love to know why and how long ago were you advised to stay away.

Please pm me if you wish :)

flying.monkeyz
15th Feb 2011, 11:31
At the rate things are going, WAAC is gonna go bust very soon. :D

Nirak
1st Jul 2011, 08:59
:) Any update on your last post ?