PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Galactic

gekko
26th May 2006, 22:17
Dear all!
I am one of those pilots who has always wanted to become an astronaut...:) I know, it is not that easy...but I do am a dreamer and I believe that it might be possible!
Is there anyone who could give me more info about the training of the 'Virgin Galactic astronauts' or about the recruitment process? Maybe there're some Virgin Atlantic pilots who could give me more info?
Or is there anyone who has already applied?
Many thanks in advance! :ok:
gekko

scroggs
27th May 2006, 10:36
Yes, it is possible.

This is the copy of a press release earlier this year:
Three Virgin Atlantic pilots have already been handpicked on the basis of their experience and skills. Steve Johnson, currently a training Captain with Virgin Atlantic and an ex-Red Arrows pilot, will become the chief astronaut pilot for Virgin Galactic, having overall responsibility for the pilot astronaut workforce.

The pilots will receive nine months of aerobatic, fast jet and executive aircraft for zero gravity flights training. They will then spend the next nine months flying the mothership and participating in Mission Control work - the last nine months will be spent flying Virgin Galactic Spaceships into space. Once they have completed their 27 month secondment they will return to Virgin Atlantic as qualified pilot astronauts.

From 2008 Virgin Galactic expects to have around 30 astronaut pilots recruited from all of the Virgin airlines round the world. 50% of the astronaut pilots will be recruited from NASA and Virgin America with the remaining 50% being recruited from other Virgin airlines including Virgin Atlantic from which three pilots will be seconded. Virgin Galactic also plans to recruit some of its pilots from Virgin Nigeria, Virgin Blue and Virgin Express. In December Virgin Atlantic launched the first frequent flyer programme reward where Flying Club members could earn miles to get themselves to space.

Virgin Galactic is a company established by Richard Branson's Virgin Group to undertake the challenge of developing space tourism for everybody. It will own and operate privately built spaceships, modeled on the history-making SpaceShipOne craft. These spaceships will allow affordable sub-orbital space tourism for the first time in our history. Every customer of Virgin Galactic will be helping the development of a new generation of space craft.

Scroggs

BitMoreRightRudder
27th May 2006, 11:06
So when do you start your zero G training Scroggs?:}

jammydonut
27th May 2006, 11:21
I thought Alex Tai was going to be head honcho so he said:confused:

winch launch
27th May 2006, 11:43
Will there be staff travel for virgin pilots on virgin galactic, lol, that would save you guys 200 000...

But I guess that without a military background it s hard to be picked for the Astronaut position.
An other question: is it easier to enroll virgin atlantic if you come from an other airline from their group, say virgin express for example?
Do they have some kind of agreements?

Winch

Fair_Weather_Flyer
27th May 2006, 12:57
Perhaps Eaglejet, will start selling "line training" for them?

rmcdonal
27th May 2006, 14:00
I wonder If you pay for your endorsment?

scroggs
27th May 2006, 14:02
I thought Alex Tai was going to be head honcho so he said:confused:
Alex is Chief Operating Officer. Steve Johnson is Chief Pilot.

So when do you start your zero G training Scroggs?

Doesn't interest me. I don't feel the need to massage my ego to that extent!
An other question: is it easier to enroll virgin atlantic if you come from an other airline from their group, say virgin express for example?
Do they have some kind of agreements?

Virgin Express is not part of the Virgin Travel Group. Nor is Virgin Blue, Virgin Nigeria, or Virgin America. They are independent companies that have an element of Virgin funding. While there is some cross-pollination of ideas, there is no recruitment route from any of them to Virgin Atlantic.

Scroggs

ToneTheWone
27th May 2006, 15:55
It will be a sad day for the planet if this project ever gets off the ground:*

northern boy
27th May 2006, 17:35
What on earth makes you say that Tone the Wone?
Space travel will in the medium term (say the next 100 years) be essential for our survival. We are rapidly running out of resources such as precious metals and certain organics, all of which are readily available in huge quantities on other planets and asteroids. The only way we will ever get to them is by developing commercial space travel. Seeing as governments are only capable of looking to the next election, it will be the private sector that will take the risks although once the system is up and running the governments will be only too glad to tax it.

You might also consider the possibility of collision with a lump of flying rock which could end all life on earth, with no space tracking network we would never see it comming, and with no launch capability there would be no chance of deflecting its course. Eventually the sun is going to turn into a red giant and cook every planet in the solar system. With no space travel, that will be sayonara for the human race. There are some fundamentalist greenies who may be tempted to say good riddance to all of us nasty polluting humans, but every other species, plant and animal, is for the chop as well.

Try and look at the bright side Tone unless you are one of the druid types who demands all progress be stopped and/or reversed. If the majority thought that way we would never have come down from the trees in the first place.

teamax
27th May 2006, 21:13
Another great Virgin publicity stunt, good for them.

Revnetwork
27th May 2006, 21:49
I think Teamax is one of those who never likes anything that comes out of Virgin.
People have been appointed, press release issued and money being spent and you call it a publicity stunt?
I say Go Virgin Galactic, Go!!!!

scroggs
28th May 2006, 09:40
It will be a sad day for the planet if this project ever gets off the ground:*

It's already off the ground, whether you like it or not. The first SpaceShipTwo is under construction now. The 'spaceport' is being constructed in New Mexico. SpaceShipOne has completed at least three flights.

However, unless you explain your objections, it's difficult to discuss the issue with you - and this isn't the right forum to do it.

Teamax is, judging from his posting history, a bmi employee who rather dislikes Virgin. Fair enough; it would be a great surprise if Virgin hadn't pee'd off a few people in its rise to its current position in the world.

Scroggs

Jinkster
28th May 2006, 16:08
Wonder if I need a min of 2500hrs on a jet to apply for Virgin Galactic, or will my 300hrs suffice :E

:hmm:

:ok:

Flashdance9
28th May 2006, 17:22
For those of you with interest in this subject; there is a Space Tourism conference at the Royal Aeronautical society next week, june7th.

ToneTheWone
28th May 2006, 17:45
Scroggs I don’t think it is too difficult to work out the meaning of ‘a sad day for the planet if this project ever gets off the ground’. Just consider the amount of energy required and the pollution created just to give a very few select few people the opportunity of a joyride. I just think with today's concerns about global warming etc. it is in my opinion that such a project is irresponsible. Don’t get me wrong, as a young lad I was thrilled by the moon landing. A very costly exorcise in terms of money and resources but there were many beneficial spin-offs from it. The world was a very different place then to what it is now and I have to ask myself what are the benefits of today's space shuttle flights? Back in the 60’s the whole world was transfixed by the Apollo flights and today nobody takes any notice of the space shuttle unless it blows up.

And before anybody jumps down my throat about being a tree hugger, I’ve either had or got most of the boy’s toys. It’s just that I’m aware of the environmental harm I inflict and yes I am in some senses an hipoctite.

Northern Boy. Yes the earth is running out of resources very quickly but space travel has got a long way to go before it’s our saviour. With the nearest star 5 light years away, a suitable planet to earth with a suitable sun close by is anybody's guess. As under present thinking it’s not possible to travel at the speed of light it would take god knows how long to get who knows where? I don’t foresee it being a commercial venture - would you invest in something that would not pay a dividend until way after your death?

northern boy
29th May 2006, 09:17
Tonethewone,

I was thinking of things a bit closer to home, namely the asteroids which are between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, both of which have had visits from probes. There are untold billions of tons of resources out there and eventually the price of metals and the like will rise to the point where recovering them becomes economically viable, just as rising oil prices make the recovery of Atlantic, Artic or Canadian shale oil viable. Unless humanity wishes to return to the middle ages, which most people certainly do not, these will have to be exploited.
The private sector will be driving this, with profit as the motive, tourist jaunts are simply a way of amortizing the costs. Once large capacity vehicles are developed, they will be used as trucks not busses for the elite. So what if wealthy individuals want to see space?, once not so long ago only the wealthy could afford to travel by air. Their money helped to develop the industry which today keeps us in employment, could we have our present world without air transport? would we wish to return to a time when only the rich could afford to travel? tree huggers apart, the answer from the majority would be a resounding no. I expect that within 100 years space travel for commercial purposes will be as commonplace as air freight is today. As for investing in projects that will not come to fruition before ones death, we do it all the time, its called having children.

Come on mate, have a little faith, sod the doom mongers and enjoy.

NB

ToneTheWone
29th May 2006, 11:28
Yes Northern Boy you do have some good points but call me a doom and gloom merchant but I think the situation is more serious than we appreciate. With 6 billion on this planet and rising rapidly, things are going to get worse and fast. Out of the 6 billion people on earth a small privaliged percentage (i.e. you and me) have done quite some damage to the planet. What happens when everybody whats to enjoy the cheap airtravel, private cars etc? And who can blame them for wanting what we in the rich west presently enjoy!

My opinion is that we are enjoying quite some party on earth at present. Yes enjoy it while it lasts but it can't last for ever. You talk about the next 100 years but what about the next 1000. I don't know the answer but I have some of the questions:confused:

Happy days indeed:O

D.H.Love
29th May 2006, 17:38
How long before Stelios adds some heat shielding to a Pimped up 737 and sells space flights for £12.50???:confused:

Aeronut
31st May 2006, 12:29
My opinion is that we are enjoying quite some party on earth at present. Yes enjoy it while it lasts but it can't last for ever. You talk about the next 100 years but what about the next 1000. I don't know the answer but I have some of the questions:confused:

Exactly. That further underlines the need to explore space.

I reckon ToneTheWone may be a fully paid up member of the Flat Earth Society.

You are rightly worried about energy usage but the rocket motors for this craft use recycled car tyres for fuel.

What Rutan and Virgin are achieving might make NASA think about what can be achieved without enormous organisations and budgets. Think of this as a stepping stone to greater things.

boris is here
31st May 2006, 13:42
quick question, is that the same Steve Johnson that hit the mast in Shoreham harbour and then banged out?

Aeronut
5th Jun 2006, 08:46
Good article in this month's Aerospace magazine from the Royal Aero Society. If you can find a copy Tonethe Wone you might find it very interesting.

Evvy
12th Jun 2006, 13:46
The RAS Conference was well attended and the highlight was a presentation by Brian Binnie (2nd pilot of SpaceShip1).

Alex Tai is definately heading up the flight crew side.

Evvy

jammydonut
12th Jun 2006, 14:03
Alex Tai is definately heading up the flight crew side.

Are there some galactic hostesses involved and a chance to rub shoulders with the odd millionaire he can ingratiate himself with:cool:

treadigraph
14th Jun 2006, 15:52
Boris, think it's a different Steve Johnson:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamhist7.html

Leezyjet
14th Jun 2006, 20:07
Will there be staff travel for virgin pilots on virgin galactic, lol, that would save you guys 200 000...

Yes, but only on a Space Available basis...............

I'll get my coat

:E

BOAC
14th Jun 2006, 20:14
I guess that makes you 'waitlisted' for 'weightlessness'? How confusing. You have to hope you don't get off-loaded for the return sector.

Dunhovrin
24th Jun 2006, 08:49
Leezy - You win!

LLL
17th Jul 2006, 03:32
I am SOOOOOO going to fly for Virgin Galactic... no questions I will, I will, I will!!

Aeronut
19th Jul 2006, 09:44
Once Virgin Galactic extend ops to orbit - maybe space tourists can visit inflatable spacestations as proposed by Bigelow Aerospace of Las Vegas.

Their market research questionnaire is intriguing!

"If you had the opportunity to play a free game of bingo coming directly to you from the spacecraft with the possibility to win prizes, how often would you visit the site?

Several times per day
Once per day
Once per week
Once per month"

also

"In addition to space bingo, if there were other spacecraft-related games you could play on a Website, how interested would you be in playing?
Very interested
Interested
Somewhat interested
Not interested"

ComJam
19th Jul 2006, 13:32
Checked out the Virgin Galactic website, it looks fantastic!

Tone, i reckon your Shed pollutes a lot more than that does. :p

There are Luddites everywhere! :ugh: