PDA

View Full Version : Requirements fo IR

twistedenginestarter
29th May 2006, 09:58
Sorry about this, I'm out of touch a bit. When I last looked ( a few years ago), to do an Instrument Rating you needed either IR or ATPL groundschool. There wasn't much difference so ATPL was the obvious choice. The ATPL you could do by distance learning and choose a separate supplier to do the flight training and tests ie a modular route. Is this still the case (I can't see much on the CAA site)? If so can anyone recommend a distance learning supplier? Are there time limits still between taking the groundschool and completing the flight training?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
29th May 2006, 10:05
Yes you can still still proceed with the modular route. When I did mine I studied full time, however, I have heard some very good reports on Bristol ground school, but have had no first hand experience. Search through the forums and you will find some useful information regarding ground school providers.

If my memory serves me correctly, once you have passed all your ATPL exams, you have three years to complete your flight training or you will lose your exam credits, and believe me, you only want to go through the ATPL exams once.

All the best.

Mercenary Pilot
29th May 2006, 10:47
The IR exams are MUCH easier than the ATPL exams! If you dont need the ATPL's, dont bother.

As for schools, try CATS in Cranfield. Not sure what the time limit is for the IR exams, check LASORS.:ok: