PDA

View Full Version : BA humour or blunder

tarik123
29th May 2006, 05:27
The latest BA advertisement is using John Denver's song "Leaving on a jet plane" (Don't know when I will be back again !!!).as I remember John Denver
died in a plane crash not too long ago (oct 1997). Is this humour, or just a major blunder.

Dea Certe
29th May 2006, 05:43
I thought the lyrics were by Peter,Paul and Mary.....according to google anyway. :confused:

Big blunder for BA if it is indeed John Denver. Heads could roll in the advertizing agency!

Dea

L337
29th May 2006, 06:13
So, if a songwriter dies in a car crash, it is a blunder to use his songs to advertise a car. Or if he drowned, a boat, or in his bed, can't sell beds? And on, and on.

John Denver dies in an aircraft crash, so BA is unsafe?
John Denver dies in an aircraft crash, so if you fly BA you are going to die?

Maybe another Pprune obsession with BA bashing?

Dea Certe
29th May 2006, 06:36
Most likely, some journalist will make note of it. Then other papers will pick it up. Make a big deal of it to sell a few papers.

Just my thoughts. But then, I read the Daily Mail so what does that tell you? :\

Be nice now.

Dea

rubik101
29th May 2006, 06:57
What a ridiculous idea, to link John Denver and some lyrics he once sang to say BA has blundered in it's advertising. Just where did you get that idea tarick? As mentioned above, bash BA at least once a day.
Elvis died on the toilet yet he is still one of the highest selling artists. His music has been used countless times in advertising since his death.
If dying in an air crash and dying on the toilet were excuses for not using the singers music then the world would be a sadder place.

Silver Tongued Cavalier
29th May 2006, 07:00
So...... flying on a BA flight listening to John Denver on the Ipod while reading the Daily Mail will result in a fatal accident..........blimey does the BA flight safety department know about this?????? Someone tell them quick.......

Kalium Chloride
29th May 2006, 07:07
This was pointed out a couple of weeks ago - not so much for the fact that Denver died in an air crash but for the fact that the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane", as any fule no, is about someone who DOESN'T want to fly ANYWHERE, (hence the lyric 'Oh babe, I'd hate to go'...conveniently muffled during the ad).

All told it seems a peculiar choice of music for an airline. You wouldn't use Elvis' "Heartbreak Hotel" to promote the Hilton, would you? :rolleyes:

Final 3 Greens
29th May 2006, 07:12
I never knew John Denver, didn't particularly like his music (although millions do) and AFAIK all we had in common was a love of flying; we both held US airman certificates.

He was killed doing something he loved, let's leave it at that.

tarik123
29th May 2006, 07:16
Safety is not the issue here, just a bit of common sense, afterall the reason
of the add is to sell more tickets, and lots of people are affraid of flying or just supersticious, so what is this paranoia about BA's safety !!!

Low Flier
29th May 2006, 07:49
Leaving aside the crassness of using a Buddy Holly or John Denver song to promote air travel, which is like using John Prescott to promote marriage guidance, just look at the appropriateness of the second line of the song:

"[I]Don't know when I'll be back again"[!/I]

BIGBAD
29th May 2006, 08:29
Oh my God ! I'm going to cancel my tickets to HKG, do you think I'll get a refund due to fear of death.....

Mr @ Spotty M
29th May 2006, 08:46
Low Flier
Nice one, l was thinking on the same wave length as you.
With BA, over the last few summers, that line is a classic.:ok:

dwshimoda
29th May 2006, 08:51
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2550429#post2550429

Don't think the average person will get the irony!

Mercenary Pilot
29th May 2006, 08:53
John Denver didnt die in a "jet-plane", it was a long EZ....just thought i'd mention that.

http://www.avweb.com/other/ntsb9905.html

Just Browsing
29th May 2006, 09:00
I don't think anyone's questioning BA's safety standards in connection with this song, I think it's the question of taste - or lack of it - that concerns the thread starter. Perhaps he has a point. Wether the song is about wanting to leave on a jet plane, not wanting to leave on a jet plane, not knowing or caring when he'd be back etc etc is perhaps irrelevant. It's the fact that the singer recently died leaving on a jet plane. Thus, to use his song advertising your airline would, in some circles, be considered bad taste. That's all.

JB

Shannon volmet
29th May 2006, 09:18
The latest BA advertisement is using John Denver's song "Leaving on a jet plane" (Don't know when I will be back again !!!).as I remember John Denver
died in a plane crash not too long ago (oct 1997). Is this humour, or just a major blunder.

Brings back memories from the late '70s ealy 80's of a certain TMAC eng with his hand on the cowling of a DC8 singing "I'm leaning on a jet 'plane"!
Can't remember if it was 'TAC or 'FHW though. Happy days! Where are they all now I wonder? ( The people and the days ):sad: