PDA

View Full Version : CASA Pros and Cons

HeyHeyHey
29th May 2006, 05:12
Hi all!

Got a favour to ask! Background just briefly - I am a third year Uni student studying Aviation.

One of the subjects are aviation management. As a requirement to complete this subject, I must write two reports on large aviation governing organisations.

The reporting I am beginning now, will be on CASA, its workings, interaction with the industry, perception by the industry, pros and cons, legislative power, and when legislation has been introduced and been successful/unsuccessful or just useless.

I would really appreciate it if everyone could post in this forum experiences they have had dealing with CASA, their opinions, and genuine suggestions for improvement. Post even if it is as simple as delays, miss-communications etc. It all adds up.

I personally have had many screw ups with them, and very few pros to suggest. I am currently waiting for my MECIR and medical to come, despite paying the new 'cost-recovery' fees - which obviously haven't helped their efficiency or internal communication.

This forum will serve a couple of purposes that I can think of, namely:-
- act as an inclusion in my assignment - heading insutry perception
- reinforce industry perception and opinions, hopefully to someone from CASA browsing through (just hopefully!!)
- and when there are a few pages of complaints, bad experiences, good expericnces etc. it will make for interesting reading, and when the unsuspecting pilot, LAME or other industry participant has a run in, they will soon find that there are plenty of people in their boat!

If you could keep the posts short, sharp and to te point, I would appreciate that.

Also, I do realise that the posts that may result in this forum are not an accurate indicator to the general consensus of the industry (though they could very well be!)

Rip 'em a part, or build 'em up! And if your experience is similar to someone elses, post yours aswell as it will indicate trends and re-affirm strengths or weaknesses of the organisation!

Thanks in advance,

Mundy!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :)

maxgrad
29th May 2006, 06:01
A certain lady in DN office BJ Absolute champion and nice person too!:ok:

Chadzat
29th May 2006, 06:47
Hey Mundy,

CASA are great, I love dealing with them everytime. I loved the way they managed my ASIC application, and that last $130 for my medical i didn't really need anyway.

Good luck with getting decent replies, thats a looooong post, people aren't going to read past the first two paragraphs!! :D

Obviously pulled up alright after the weekend then?

OzExpat
29th May 2006, 07:43
There are some very good, highly talented people in CASA. Sadly, the good work they do is more often overshadowed by frequent examples of incompetence that seem to dominate the public domain.

I wonder how long it'll be before DS jumps into this topic? :}

Torres
29th May 2006, 10:24
OzExpat.

One .... Two .... ah .... Three .... Um, er ........

Yup, think thats about the sum of ....."very good, highly talented people in CASA"?

RENURPP
29th May 2006, 14:33
CASA is a dysfunctional organisation populated with EX military egos who do not have a working knowledge of the real world let alone the real world of aviation.
Incapable of solving the smallest problems, they usually resort to creating them.

Lodown
29th May 2006, 14:53
That nicely sums up the pros, now how about some cons?

Chimbu chuckles
29th May 2006, 15:04
I think in all fairness it should be pointed out that there are probably no Cons in CASA.....The are however some potential Cons if they get caught.

And when they are finally released they will be Ex Cons:suspect:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
29th May 2006, 16:01
This sounds like some cheese dick reporter milking for a story.

Being CASA can not be easy, considering everyone knows better and everyone wants it their way.

If you are willing to see that a great percentage of CASA staff are people from their respective parts of the industry. The days of the wing commanders club has come to an end, it all production now.

Perhaps it's only the idiots we hear about.

There are many many fantastic people that work for CASA, who are as useful to CASA today as they were to their previous aviation employers.

Yes there are idiots ( like anywhere ), but if you've been visiting PPRUNe for long enough you'll see that present management is weeding out the unsuitable.

If you are serious about your studies, you'll organise time with CP's, CFI's, ATO's and go to industry/CASA meetings, check out the accident/incident reports V's hours flown V's number of licenced pilots etc etc, hear it first hand.

There is a lot of BS spoken on these pages, how will you be able to sift through this ?, with some level of accuracy, in simple, you won't.

Get a hair cut :)

Pass-A-Frozo
29th May 2006, 17:49
CASA is a dysfunctional organisation populated with EX military egos who do not have a working knowledge of the real world let alone the real world of aviation.
Incapable of solving the smallest problems, they usually resort to creating them.
Like the scum sucking bottom dwellers they tend to be, once they have had enough of the public service life they usually through dubious means, find their way into various organisations around the country in some form of management roles in a final attempt to prove to the world once and for all, that they are competent, they rarely succee. They do not have the ability to listen or solve small problems.
It is difficult to be rid of them due to their ilk following them in the same vane.
Yoda: "Much anger in him".

Creampuff
29th May 2006, 20:25
First, a couple of questions for you HeyHeyHey, to see whether you’ve got the smarts to research and report on any issue more complex than what you did during your holidays.

1. What is CASA’s job?
2. For whom does CASA work?

LoneyPie
30th May 2006, 01:11
Hi all thanks for the replies so far!
I created the HeyHeyHey username specifically for this post, but it is no longer working, so I could not reply any earlier! Who needs anonymity anyway.
And no I am not a cheesy reporter milking for a story.
By the way - the report was finished, and thoroughly researched at the time of making the initial post.
I have to quote something from the very first post to dick cheese Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower: - "Also, I do realise that the posts that may result in this forum are not an accurate indicator to the general consensus of the industry (though they could very well be!)"
I couldn't have made it any clearer to you.
I thought, given everyones’ anonymity, the post would have solicited a broader range of responses than from those who I have made face to face contact with.
I also thought, it may have raised an issue or two that I may have forgotten to research.
I am always well read (and not from these forums mind you) on current and past issues and practices, and have always done thorough research.
Did I intend to use what was said on this forum as fact? Sh*t no, only a fool would do that. Rather, it would have made an interesting appendix to the report.
And dick cheese, this isn't a school kid’s report on 'who is CASA, what do they do etc.'. It primarily relates to the corporate structure, its workings, strengths and weaknesses.
Thanks to all who responded, and thanks to the others who screwed it and proved there are tossers on these forums.
Mundy

Creampuff
30th May 2006, 02:52
I thought not.

Don't make eye contact folks.

Woomera
30th May 2006, 04:14
HeyHeyHey - LonelyPie

"I created the HeyHeyHey username specifically for this post, but it is no longer working, so I could not reply any earlier!"

Your HeyHeyHey user name is working - I checked both profiles.

HeyHeyHey 15.12 May 29: "The reporting I am beginning now, will be on CASA, its workings...."

LonelyPie 11.11 May 30: "By the way - the report was finished, and thoroughly researched at the time of making the initial post."

So what was the point of this thread? :ugh: A wind up? :mad:

I hope in your research you prefaced your report with a response to the two questions Crempuff raised?

Sunny Woomera

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
30th May 2006, 08:03
Two very good questions raised by Creampuff.

Hey/Lonely,

If you aren't a reporter, why would you be offended by me calling reporters cheese dicks ?, and if you think these pages are anonymous, you will be quite disappointed to find out the truth.

Quote" Don't make eye contact folks" end quote , Bbbahhhh Hhhhhaaaahhhhh !!! :)

Lodown
30th May 2006, 13:30
Nice research skills Pie in the Sky! Don't get the response you want to a post that's worded like an apathetic fishing expedition, so you spit the dummy. Nice objectivity! What do you expect? You ask a question so broad that no one outside a fully funded Royal Commission can possibly answer.

Happy to be included in the "tosser" category and help put this post out of its misery. Stick with the burger flipping.