PDA

View Full Version : B717 Landings

vh_ajm
29th May 2006, 01:40
Hi all,

A while ago (2 months?) there was a post regarding the reasons for firm landings with B717 aircraft. My searches to find the relevant thread have been fruitless so if some of you could offer a couple of quick reasons I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Capn Bloggs
29th May 2006, 03:34
1. The pilots are cripples? :eek:

2. The gear is as hard as a rock. After all, it was built by Mac D, makers of aircraft (F-4 etc) that were designed to be THUMPED on! :}

"10". Pull a bit. Easy (most of the time...).

F/O Bloggs
29th May 2006, 04:41
I don't know what you are talking about Vh. They land smoother than the 146.

Anyone have the number for a good chiropracter?

This sums up landing the 717-

:cool: :eek::mad: :{ :O

SkySista
29th May 2006, 05:05
'positive' landings? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209460)

Flighties complain about 'hard landings' (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206889)

Hope this is what you were looking for - but I know there was another recent one which seems to have disappeared!!

Cloud Cutter
29th May 2006, 05:53
Does it have anything to do with the wheels being behind the lateral axis? Do pilots of these types use the 'check forward just before the mains touch' technique that tends to work well for aft engined types (particularly the DC-10)?

topend3
29th May 2006, 06:07
I heard they have had pavement issues in ZNE due to the hard landings from the '71's. These problems were not encountered when 146's were being used...

Capn Bloggs
29th May 2006, 06:15
TE3 you are a fisher! := Wrong. The bit of runway that is coming apart is well past the "touch"down area. And any other problems are not caused by the way the aces at NJS fly their REAL airliners. Has anybody seen my FOKKER? :E

vh_ajm
29th May 2006, 06:55
Thanks everyone,

SkySista, 'positive landings' was the link I was after. Cheers.

F/O Bloggs I agree, as pax in 71's before found it reasonably smooth - nothing out of the ordinary. Question was asked in reference to some recent gear trouble.

Thanks again.

Lord Snot
29th May 2006, 06:56
Maybe it's because the pilots, having not crawled through the same hoops as the Rat pilots, are of an inferior standard?? :rolleyes:

alidad
29th May 2006, 09:30
Bloggsy,
you have'nt been using the touchdown zone for the wrong end of the runway have you?:ooh:

flyingins
29th May 2006, 10:27
Cloud Cutter,

Yes and Yes!

The 717 is fine to land if you practice often enough, but they're a heck of a lot harder to finesse than the Airbus!

Real aeroplane Vs Tupperware container, I suppose! :p

Capt Basil Brush
30th May 2006, 00:38
Capt Bloggs, perhaps it's the second touchdown that is doing the damage? :D

Also, if you think that thing is a REAL airliner - you are very easily pleased! :ok: