PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Problem

FJJP
28th May 2006, 21:45
Laptop, XP Pro, good spec, connection thru wireless hub to network. Main PC, XP Pro, good spec, hard wired to wireless hub. Second PC, Win 98, reasonable spec, network connection thru wireless hub.

Second PC sees network and all shared drives/printers. Main PC sees second PC.

Laptop cannot see the network, but internet connection OK thru hub. Main PC does not see laptop.

I've tried everything to get the laptop to connect; using network connection wizard I only get so far before the warning message that access may be denied and that I should contact the administrator [me]!

Help, what am I missing? :ugh: :ugh:

bakoo
28th May 2006, 23:26
Hey, have you checked to see if all the workgroups are the same, for example MSHOME? This would stop them seeing each other. Is the internet working on the laptop? And is the card enabled? And failing that see if the Laptop is getting an IP address or has a valid one? If its not valid it will ask you to repair? If this fails to work you can setup a manual connection to the latop or visa versa by the following.

\\mshome\shared_folder (file://\\mshome\shared_folder)

Richard Spandit
29th May 2006, 11:52
Have you enabled file/printer sharing on your laptop? Sounds like it could also be a firewall problem. You could try (temporarily!!) turning off the firewall and see if that helps.

scroggs
31st May 2006, 21:38
I'm getting a similar problem, after a reshuffle of computers on my network.

The network is based on a Netgear DG834G v2 modem/router, which is an excellent bit of kit that has given me no problems. Until recently, my HP Pavilion laptop was the main computer and had a wired USB connection to the HP PSC1210 all-in-one, which was shared with the network. This arrangement worked fine, and all 3 of the computers on the network could see each other, and the printer (so long as the laptop was on).

I now have a new office computer, a Dell 9150, to which the printer is now connected. Two of my laptops can see this computer and the printer, and life is hunky-dory for them. However, the HP laptop can't see the other computers or the printer, though the other computers can see it! It can, however, see and connect normally to the internet, via the Netgear router. On selecting 'show workgroup computers', the old HP has a think then announces: 'xxxxx network is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator... (yawn!) etc.'

I have confirmed that the workgroup (including its name) is set up (and re-set up) identically on all the computers (all running XP SP2, the HP is XP Home, the 9150 is Media Centre, and the Vaio is XP Pro). I have tried with the HP's firewalls off and on (Windows and Norton Internet Worm Protection). File/printer sharing is on, and all computers have at least one folder set to share.

Any thoughts?

redsoxws04
2nd Jun 2006, 13:05
:sad: I am 'network' challenged too. I use the help support on my Sonny Vaio and it just seems to lead me in circles. I like flowcharts. Any advice about finding a flowchart to assist with setting up a home network? I am trying to connect a new wireless notebook to my desktop. Oh Boy!

FJJP
3rd Jun 2006, 07:07
Thanks for the ideas fellas - still got the problem, having done all that was suggested.

Scroggs, sounds like we have an identical problem. Even my IT literate offspring couldn't sort it!

Dunno what to do next - maybe a chat with my friendly neighbourhood computer shop might have some ideas.

I'll let you now. Meantime, if anyone has a flash of genious, tell us all!

LH2
3rd Jun 2006, 08:07
If I understood this correctly, you can go out on the internet but not access shared directories/printers on your local network.

If that is the case, then find your Connection Properties dialog (the clicktrail is something like Start -> Network Connections -> Local Area Network, or whatever the concerned connection is called, then right-click, then go Properties). Once you've got that dialog open you should see at the top a list the last item of which is "TCP/IP Something". On that list, one of the first items says something to the effect of "Windows Network Client" or so. Make sure that is enabled.

Sorry to be so vague, but (luckily) I do not have a Windows computer handy at the moment :cool:

Saab Dastard
3rd Jun 2006, 19:24
As LH2 says, you must have "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed to "see" MS network resources.

It's Start -> Settings -> Network Connections -> "Network"

Also, for the laptop to be "seen" by the rest of the network you must have "File and Printer Sharing for Microspft Networks" installed.

You DON'T have to have all computers in the same Workgroup (tho' it helps with passwords) to access resources on other PCs.

SD

FJJP
3rd Jun 2006, 22:21
Both are enabled...

scroggs
4th Jun 2006, 21:42
Everything was enabled as indicated above. Remember, in my case the recalcitrant computer had been on the network as effectively the master computer, and it was only the move of the printer to another host computer which prompted the non-networked huff!

Anyway, I've sorted it. The way I did it was to use the XP Wireless Network Wizard on the non-communicative computer, save the settings on a flash memory stick and then transfer the settings to all the other computers via that stick. Face has been saved, the old laptop can still claim it's top dog, and they all seem happy - including the ancient Win98SE laptop which is occasionally resurrected to do some internet work.

Don't ask me how or why; it just works now!

Saab Dastard
5th Jun 2006, 19:17
What are the actual IP settings for each of the devices?

Are they all getting DHCP allocation from the router - and is the scope large enough?

You haven't got network bridging or internet connection sharing enabled on the laptop?

Is there any firewall (windows or other) software running on the laptop - or the other devices?

:confused:

scroggs
6th Jun 2006, 07:40
All of the computers are on DHCP allocation from the router. The scope is ample (100 addresses for a network of 6 devices). All the settings on all the computers re TCP/IP, networking etc (bridging was not necessary on any of the computers) are identical. All were running firewalls which were disabled for the setup process.

As I say, it's cured now by using that reluctant laptop to configure the network for all the computers on the net. Not one setting has changed, that I can see! And, remember, there was no problem whatsoever until I moved the printer.

Computers! Can't live with them; can't kick 'em in the bolleaux!

Saab Dastard
6th Jun 2006, 07:54
Hi Scroggs -

Questions were for FJJP! Sorry for confusion.

SD

rustle
6th Jun 2006, 08:16
Can you clarify if the hardwired PCs can see the network but the wireless ones cannot (in either FJJP or scroggs cases)

Sometimes the WLAN element of the router will block local network activity but will allow wirless connections to route through and onto the internet. (Exactly as you are describing)

There are workarounds for this, but it would be nice to know if that is the case first ;)