PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express REMOVAL!!!

EGKK931
28th May 2006, 10:12
How do I remove outlook express permenantly from my system?!

I absolutely hate it and have never used it or understood it and I want rid now!

I have tried right clicking and deleting it comes straight back I have tried looking for it in add/remove programs and it still doesn't go!

Help much appreciated.

Cheers

stevef
28th May 2006, 10:29
I don't know about permanently but if you want it out of your way, go to the Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programmes,
Add/Remove Windows Components,
Uncheck the Outlook Express box.

Hope that does the trick for you.

ShyTorque
28th May 2006, 11:43
I have the opposite problem but it might help you!

I downloaded IE Version 7 Beta and the toolbar link to OE has disappeared.
I can still use the programme from a link on the desktop.

Anyone tell me how to get the toolbar link back, in my case?

frostbite
28th May 2006, 11:48
I'm by no means certain, but I have a suspicion that both IE and OE may be inextricably hooked into the windoze OS and attempts at removal may bring unwanted consequences.

stevef
28th May 2006, 13:01
I'm sure frostbite is right about OE permanent removal affecting IE. The advantage of using Add/Remove Windows Components is that anything unchecked is not uninstalled and can be resurrected by re-ticking the box.

ShyTorque - If IE7 has a similar layout to IE6, try right clicking on an empty Toolbar space and adding the link from the Customize menu. I had a blonde moment yesterday and misunderstood the question!

Mac the Knife
28th May 2006, 14:16
See http://www.activewin.com/tips/tips/microsoft/winxp/advanced/8.shtml

But why do you want to do this? I think it likely, as frosty suggests, that you will destabilise your system. Of course it SHOULDN'T but given MS propensity for interweaving everything into one enormous binary glob I wouldn't be surprised.

OE is still lurking somewhere in my Windows PCs (never used it) but doesn't seem to be doing any more harm than the rest of Bill's stuff.

bacardi walla
28th May 2006, 16:35
why not just select OUTLOOK as your default email program rather than OUTLOOK EXPRESS :confused:

Gonzo
28th May 2006, 17:07
Or use a far better email package such as Thunderbird!

Mac the Knife
28th May 2006, 17:26
Outlook is indeed a much better email client than Outlook Express, but it's a separate install, you can't just select it. Comes with MSOffice. You used to be able to get it separately but I dunno these days.

Thunderbird is excellent, but Evolution (Linux only) is superb.

stevef
29th May 2006, 11:49
See my revised post!