PDA

View Full Version : Career Move?

Kyle Ice
28th May 2006, 05:00
Well, this is my first post.....I am looking for some advice on the flight field. I am currently a firefighter and am thinking about making a career change to a pilot. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but money has been THE big obsticle, but I think I can overcome that at this point in my life.

I think I have a good understanding of the schooling and cost but have a few other questions about the field itself.

How long does one need to work the low paying jobs and instructor jobs before you start to make decent money? How many hours would I have to accrue and how long would it take?

I have had the luxury of working for a local government and have had rock-solid benifits, leave time, and pension. My experience in the private sector is somewhat limited; how do these compare in the flight industry? Do they fluctuate as the company sees fit?

I know that commercial pilots are limited to 100 hours per month (?). What is a typical schedule?

As I understand it I could fly for an airline, cargo, executive jets, or specialty jobs such as an air tanker. Is there one that's better than the other? Do any provide anything that the other(s) don't?

Hopefully this will stir some thoughts and conversation. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision before I drastically change my life....:confused:

Kyle Ice
28th May 2006, 05:06
Oh yeah, for any of you working in the business right now:

Knowing what you know now, would you encourage someone to go in to the business?

Tim_donovan
28th May 2006, 05:21
It is not a question of "I just want to make sure I am making the right decision before I drastically change my life...."
If you really want to do it just do it.
As I have said before to others get your medical first before throwing your self in at the deep end.
Regarding type of flying job, whether you are flying Self loading freight or freight at the end of the day it is still flying.
Good luck

Kyle Ice
28th May 2006, 05:34
Regarding type of flying job, whether you are flying Self loading freight or freight at the end of the day it is still flying.
Good luck

hehe.....touche....this is very true.

I think I want to make sure I am making the right decision b/c I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass for doing the wrong thing (but I guess that's what life's about; just taking the risk) such as leaving a career I have worked so hard at and has been good to me. But like you said, it's just a matter of wanting to do it.

Tim_donovan
28th May 2006, 05:41
That it at the end of the day, you don't want to be kicking yourself in 15 years time saying "why didn't I do it.

Yes I agree with you regarding the safety of your current job. But everybody goes through the same problem. But boy is it worth it at the end. I was 29 when I started I am 32 now and love it.

Happy days:)

scroggs
28th May 2006, 09:32
Read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) thread. Pay particular attention to the 'Do you really want to do this', and 'Am I Too Old, and How Old is Too Old' threads. They cover much of what you have asked.

Remember, there is no question you can think of that hasn't been asked here before. the majority of repeated ones are covered in that thread. The rest can be discovered through use of the 'Search' facility (though sometimes you have to think laterally and use Google or similar to search Pprune!).

Scroggs