PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Somalia

Di_Vosh
28th May 2006, 02:31
Hi all,
I'm currently in OZ, but I may be going to Somalia in a few months time to do some aid work with an NGO (NOT in Mogadishu). We (NGO and I) are at a very early planning stage right now, and there is a POSSIBILITY of AME being part of the aid work.
So what I'm after is information on flying in Somalia:
1. Whether it's possible (Fixed wing - Twin engine piston).
2. What Authorities would be involved, and what licences would I need
3. Where I could find publications such as charts, airport listings/layouts, etc.
4. What civilian organisations are currently flying in Somalia and their contact details
Thanks in advance.
DIVOSH!

bush van
3rd Jun 2006, 10:45
Hi there

I used to fly a 1900 around in somalia, mainly to K50 hargasia, basaso, connaco, wajid, and jowa

Departed nairobi 08:00 and ended the day in hargasia aound 17:00.

Not much goes on there, just sand everywhere,

Enjoy

nutcracker43
5th Jun 2006, 10:49
Hi all,
I'm currently in OZ, but I may be going to Somalia in a few months time to do some aid work with an NGO (NOT in Mogadishu). We (NGO and I) are at a very early planning stage right now, and there is a POSSIBILITY of AME being part of the aid work.
So what I'm after is information on flying in Somalia:
1. Whether it's possible (Fixed wing - Twin engine piston).
2. What Authorities would be involved, and what licences would I need
3. Where I could find publications such as charts, airport listings/layouts, etc.
4. What civilian organisations are currently flying in Somalia and their contact details
Thanks in advance.
DIVOSH!

You're currently in Oz...stay there...Somalia is not a good place to be...

Fixed wing flying is possible...we did it in '94 but whether the locals would allow one to land/depart is entirely another matter. Strips had to be secured and policed by guards which had to be hired from the local poulace...not altogether the most reliable situation.

Authorities...there are no authorities...there is no government. I worked with the UN at the time and the licences needed were those from my home country.

Magadishu was the only airport capable of accepting anything large and even then, all of the aids had been trashed by the locals. The RAAF provided whatever ATC was available.

Don't know of any civilian operators operating there...perhaps the UN might help you there.

Good luck.

NC43

Sammie_nl
6th Jun 2006, 13:07
Im no aviator and have not been to Somalia. But I can tell you that Daallo Airlines flies from Djibouti to Somalia. They have a small network flying fixed winged. http://www.daallo.com/

As for safety, it all depends which part of Somalia you will be operating. The defacto states in the north (Puntland and Somaliland) are supposed to be pretty safe and you will have to deal with local authorities mainly as they are not cooperating with the main reconciliation authorities that have come and go in the past few years.

There is a rather large Australian company that secured rights to explore natural recources in Puntland, I suppose you can give them a ring and see how they have delt with local and unrecognised authorities. http://www.rangeresources.com.au/

Indepen
6th Jun 2006, 18:19
Somalia is not a good place to be. Not on the ground and not in the air as well. Somaliland (they declared their independence but are not recognized) ist not that bad. But the rest of the country...
Mogadishu has three airports/airfields. Of course there is MGQ the only airport in the country handling larger aircraft. One airfield is in the north of the capital. Runway endless long but very narrow - made for fighters. Another airfield north east of MGQ. It's not much more than a landing strip on the beach. MGQ has at least a kind of ATC. No aids.
Baidoa has a gravel strip, quite long. Beled Weyne has an airfield. Just a part of the runway usable. Kismayo airfield unknown to me.
Daalo Airlines is indeed flying in and out of MGQ and different places in Somaliland. African Airlines flying from NBO to MGQ with 707 and 737. Blue Bird Aviation, based at Wilson Airport in Nairobi ist flying to different airfields in Somalia. I think, they are using Let410 and KingAir.
And there are a lot of smaller carriers flying Khat in and out of Somalia. Some with Caravans, some with 206.
If you are shot at on approach the guy with the gun isn't angry with you, he's just testing his RPG.
Take care!

Di_Vosh
9th Jun 2006, 02:36
Great advice everyone!

Thanks for all the info. I'll do some follow ups; though it is looking less likely that internal air support will be an option.

IF it goes further, I'll keep you posted.

DIVOSH!

tracon
11th Jun 2006, 21:58
Hey Bush Van

Did you fly kat to the people there? I saw fokkers and 1900 depart early in the morning from Wilson, looked kind of heavy.

Herkybird
30th Jun 2006, 15:24
Ah, Somalia! I flew Hercs there from April of 1992 to December of 1995. Wouldn't trade those memories for a million bucks, but you couldn't pay me enough to go back.