PDA

View Full Version : Twin Training Approval at FTA

brown_eyes
27th May 2006, 11:54
Has anybody done the twin training approval course at Flight Training Adelaide? Was just wondering what the course was like and how it compared with other courses in Oz.

I have heard the course generally consists of anything from 5 to 20 hours flying, so I can't understand why you have this large difference in training hence the query.

Further If I did the course at FTA what would be the chance of me realistically getting a training position there?

Would like to hear from somebody who has done the course, If you could PM me I would appreciate it.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
27th May 2006, 16:05
Brown eye,,,,, ooops, "eyes", sorry.

Twin Training approval is another trap for novices, as is many other types of training, First Turbine, Low Level etc etc.

Do a really good ring around, you'll find the prices vary, dramatically to say the least.

I did my META ( Multi Engine Training Approval ) with Gordon Smith at Armidale NSW, worth the trip, he was very thorough and i learnt a heap.

There are a number of schools i would call if i was you, Gordon Smith at Armidale, Michael Luffman ( not sure on the sir name spelling ) at Mudgee, Jamie Johnston at Port Maquarie, Bill Hazelton at Orange, you'll find all these in the yellow pages or on the CASA web site under the "ATO contact details".

A META is an addition to a Single Engine limited Instructor Rating ( in simple terms ), not a whole new instructor rating.

In some parts of the country a META is packaged from $5,000 onwards, First Turbine $6,000 plus, but $5,000 if you do it this month, Buyer Beware !!!:ugh: .

Do not fall for the sale line of " this is the best school on the airport" / "in the world", and "Qantas only employs pilots we've trained" blah blah.

Good luck.

novicef
28th May 2006, 03:51
I went through this exercise about 3 months ago just to see what was involved, there are quite large differences in price and the number of hours quoted was at least 5 depending on whether you have an instructor rating or not.

Also the number of briefs varied from 6 to 8, as "Rock"says you really need to phone around.

11percent
28th May 2006, 11:07
Be the best you can be, or get the ticket. Your choice.

Lowest price could well be an indication of the standard you will receive and pass on. You get what you pay for!!

The variation in 5 - 20 hours could well reflect the standard of candidate undergoing the training. End product should meet minimum standards.

Did you ask FTA about the time frame? what did they say?

Didn't think FTA did external training approvals anyway.

Another name you coudl try is Air Gold Coast. Ring CFI TP, ex FTA.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
28th May 2006, 18:49
11 percent, i would have to disagree with your statement that you get what you pay for ( from my experiences it is very rarely the case in aviation ).

Many flying schools know how to market themselves ( big shiny offices, boss drives a BMW, has a picture of a Citation on their website ), to produce a recognised brand, not all of them have staff with actual relevant experience to impart required knowledge, in this case i'd be more inclined to suggest there is no substitute for experience.

All flying Schools have to be financially viable, how this company remains viable is a different story, either offer good standard training with personal service at a reasonalbe price "or" offer extended training programs in over priced aircraft from million dollar office facilities ( who pays for this ).

A new aeroplane with a rayban wearing 21 year old instructors is unlikely to impart more useful knowledge compared to a sixty year old instructor wearing board shorts with many years relevant experience.

"You get what you pay for" is one of the many catch cries of the over priced flying school.

How much ?, Who'll be doing it ?, oh really, whats his/her background ?, How long will it take ?.

brown_eyes
29th May 2006, 03:27
Thanks for the info, just 2 questions.

1. How many briefs are involved?

2. What time span should I allow If I am doing it full-time?

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
29th May 2006, 12:34
BE,

Go and have a look at the CAAP 5.23 ( http://www.casa.gov.au/download/CAAPs/ops/5_23.pdf ) there a lovely little write up in there, the basics of the brief etc etc.

Expand the info in the CAAP and you're a good part of the way there with the briefs.

Q1. see the CAAP.

Q2. ring the flying school, i certainly can not help you with that one.

novicef
30th May 2006, 03:02
From your experience once Twin Training Approval has been obtained, how long does it take to obtain endorement approval? Is it automatic or does one have to have 10 hours on type, or does one have to recommend canditates for endorsement to be checked by an ATO after which they will obtain endorsement approval.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
30th May 2006, 09:21
Noviecf,
not sure i understand your question, although the endorsement process, be it initial multi or subsequent endorsements requires two steps:

1. Training needs to be conducted by an appropriately qualified person, i.e an Instructor under their instructor rating "or" by an approved pilot ( refer a CAR 5.21 approval which is usually attached to an AOC ). For a instructor / 5.21 approved pilot to endorse another, he/she must have atleast ten hours on type, go and have a look in the Instructor CAO 40.1.7, section 9.7

2. The issue of the Endorsement ( sticky strip ), the holder of a sticky strip book is a delegate of CASA, they are approached by the trainee with completed endorsement form, signed by the instructor in "1.". The Delegate ( usually an ATO ), issues the endorsement ( sticky strip and forwards the paperwork to Licencing to be added to CASA' records ).

To become a Delegate, CASA needs to see a reason for the individual to have a delegation, i.e is a part of a big company that does its own training or for somewhere like Bankstown, CASA works out how many Delegates are required to service the area's pilots and selects candidates.