PDA

View Full Version : Windows System Check (Beta)

BOAC
27th May 2006, 09:05
A friend has pointed me to the MS Windows Beta system checker at http://safety.live.com/ (NB it appears to have a 'pop-up' on it so it needs CTRL on my system to download, and does not download on Firefox).

Given my inbuilt distrust of anything MS :) does anyone have any comments on this product?

stevef
27th May 2006, 13:19
Seems OK so far. I downloaded and ran it this morning (full scan). It picked up and rectified quite a few problems as well as removing the obstinate PowerReg Scheduler, which has been clinging to my registry for months. I'll see how it's affected the performance over the next couple of days and get back with anything adverse.

Btw, it won't download from Opera either, so it's got to be Internet Explorer.

Techman
27th May 2006, 16:54
Just ran it. As with Mike, it took a looong time to finish. Found mostly stuff quarantined by NAV. So far no adverse effects. Or visible improvements for that matter.

None of the above
27th May 2006, 19:40
Funny you should ask............

I ran it this morning, despite it taking a devil of a time to complete, and it flagged up a virus during the scan.
When it came to the summary there was no mention of said nasty.
Norton didn't come up with anything although House Call stumped up 'TROJ_SE.69649' but we had a power cut as I was reviewing the result!
Before the power failed I had concluded that House Call couldn't remove it so I gave AVG a whirl. That stumped up 'Trojan Horse Generic SDO' and the path C:\WINDOWS\system32\giwopsme.nja. (Successfully quarantined, by the way) I'm assuming that these Trojans are one and the same. The usual searches return nothing conclusive in either case.
Sorry if the thread has drifted somewhat.

N o t a

Rick Storm
28th May 2006, 13:45
I downloaded this last night, it ran a check found some quarantine items from my NAV and some adware. Went to have a play with it this morning (it did download ok, in programe files add/remove) but what beats me is how do you launch it? It never put an icon on my quick launch tool bar nor did it create a shortcut on my desktop nor does it show up on <start> <all programs> on my desktop, totally at a loss.

Rick

gas path
28th May 2006, 15:08
Rick Storm
I think it's a bit like those 'online' virus scanners, trend micros housecall etc.
I've tried it, and it found a few things to delete, which I did....... then the broadband modem wouldn't work until I reloaded the drivers:ugh: still it is a 'beta' version.