PDA

View Full Version : Why so many 0000 to 0500 pax operations?

SeenItAll
27th May 2006, 00:29
Pardon if this question is dumb, but as a SLF I have always wondered why so many long haul passenger operations in/out of Middle Eastern airports take place between 0000 and 0500. In Western Europe and in the U.S. there are practically no such operations -- even when permitted by noise regulations.
Is it due to required scheduling of aircraft rotations? Because it is so hot during the day that ramp operations on a furnace-like tarmac are difficult for baggage loaders, mechanics, etc.? Or because during the day it is so hot that aircraft weight must be restricted and range performance suffers?
Thanks for any enlightenment.

pontius's pa
27th May 2006, 00:41
It's so that you can take off/land at civilised places like Europe and the Far East at civilised hours.

vfenext
27th May 2006, 05:20
Arriving at a long haul destination early morning gives business pax the chance of a full business day. Since they are the high yield SLF then you give them the priority. Means you sell more sleeper seats.

Mustapha Rex
27th May 2006, 07:35
A lot of it has to also do with the history of major player schedules when operations started to this region, as many of the airports in the regions served as a technical stop.

There is also reason to believe that the slots available at major hubs for flights depating the gulf imposed this type of schedule.

Desert Diner
27th May 2006, 12:35
At least for the heathrow flights, it provides for an easy connection to flights from North America and will maximize the use of the plane.

Take off from the ME 1-2AM arrive into LHR 6-7AM, for pax to connect with 9-11AM flight bank to NA. Return flight 10-11AM (with connecting NA SLF from the 6-7AM NA arrivals) to return to ME 7-8PM.

SeenItAll
30th May 2006, 19:28
All good answers. Thanks very much for the enlightenment. It still doesn't make me very happy to be checking into a ME hotel at 3 AM and checking out at 1 AM -- but as you say, these flights are not the tail that wags the system-wide scheduling dog.