PDA

View Full Version : Piper Twin-Comanche down near Lanseria ?

flyboy2
26th May 2006, 19:39
Hearsay -a Piper Twin-Comanche on a training flight "lost it " when on a single-engined exercise near Lanseria -yesterday 25 May.

Anyone have more specific details?

beckers
29th May 2006, 08:25
I have spoken to the Instructor involved...

ZS-SWI (Instructor + 2 Students)

After getting airborne 06R they realised they had an engine failure, still had gear down etc. Instructor took over and tried to fly the aircraft (they were barely higher than the trees). A twin comanche doesn't perform well there on a good day with the gear clean and prop feathered. The apparently they used the second aircraft to carry them as far as possible looking for an open area. They only just cleared a chicken farm and unfortunately stalled in, striking a tree on the way down. The aircraft stopped in a ravine minus a wing and tail. All involved walked away with a few cuts on the their heads grazed knuckles, and one sore ankle. Aircraft complete write-off.

At least the instructor flew the plane to the ground, well done:D

LittleMo
29th May 2006, 12:24
Seems SWI finally bit the big one. As I recall that pparticular a/c has had quite a few mishaps, 2 wheels ups, also another engine failure if I recall. Perhaps got something to do with 'genuine Nissan parts' being used?
I'm glad nobody was seriously injured or killed. Well done to the guy flying :ok:

B Sousa
29th May 2006, 13:03
Learned to fly twins in one of those. It certainly is no fun with an engine out, but always seemd to get on the ground.
Appears the motto works though. The second engine got them to the scene of the crash........
Good all are OK, and now have a serious war story for the Pub.

Beeech19
29th May 2006, 14:19
Well done to the instructor:ok:

I did my ATP test in SWI few moons back, neva really liked the piece of sh1t :8

Happy everyone is fine.

corkscrew
31st May 2006, 16:27
Good work there, probably one of the worst situations you can find yourself in.

Twin pistons, bit pointless when you think about it...