PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian airport security chiefs sacked for aiding drug traffickers

4HolerPoler
26th May 2006, 15:56
Nigerian airport security chiefs sacked for aiding drug traffickers

Lagos - Nigeria has sacked two security chiefs for allegedly aiding drug trafficking at the country's airports, said the ministry of aviation on Friday. The ministry said the dismissal of Captain Balarabe Usman and Bello Ochega of the Federal Airport Authority was ordered by President Olusegun Obasanjo. Their dismissal followed complaints by the anti-drug agency, NDLEA, that some officials were aiding the illegal trade. The ministry said: "The newly installed close circuit television cameras at the airports revealed that some aviation security officials conspired, aided and abetted hard drug carriers through unauthorised access doors facilitating the circumvention of security procedures." The ministry said the indicted officials would be prosecuted.

Rani
26th May 2006, 16:30
Why weren't they imprisoned rather than merely sacked? I mean, they are accomplices to criminal activity, doesn't that make the duo criminals?
I forgot, it's Nigeria!

fourplay
28th May 2006, 10:40
Yes... Its Nigeria silly Billy! := := :=

Revnetwork
28th May 2006, 10:56
The article does say they will be prosecuted. You don't imprison people without a court of law saying they are guilty.

B Sousa
28th May 2006, 14:12
"You don't imprison people without a court of law saying they are guilty."
Excuse me Revnet, this is Africa they are talking about. Please write them a memo and also explain not to shoot these folks before the trial!!

Rani
28th May 2006, 14:41
Revnetwork,

Nice to see you dropping by again!

You're right, I did miss that last sentence, appologies!

It seems the installation of CCCTV throghout MMA made this arrest possible...The folks at EFCC should be able to enjoy questioning those FAAN crooks. :E

Flying Touareg
28th May 2006, 22:16
guys lets not forget that since it is Nigeria, there can be another side of the story and it is possible the guys lost their jobs for a different reason. I doubt if the matter will even go to court. I never took this story seriously.
It is on record that FAAN/NAMA/NCAA have the highest turnover of directors and heads of departemnts amongst all parastatals in Nigeria.