PDA

View Full Version : "ValueHost" scam/virus

ExSimGuy
26th May 2006, 11:26
Mods, I know you're going to move this to "Computer Stuff", but I think it's useful to post here initially, so brothers get a warning about a very clever new scam/virus!

I received an email supposedly from ValueHost, saying that there had been a charge-back to them from my credit card. An attachment supposedly "supplied the details"

If you get this, DO NOT open the attechment. It is a virus! (noo, I didn't open it, I checked the valuehost web site and they are giving a warning about this)

It may also be a "phishing" expedition, as it may, at some stage, ask you for credit card details - DON'T do this.

ValueHost know about this and are getting thousands of emails an hour about it. It is a Scam and/or a Virus - DON'T open the attachment (it's a "zip" file)

ExSim

Pilot Pete
26th May 2006, 12:08
I got it yesterday too.

PP

ExSimGuy
26th May 2006, 18:22
Thanks Guys,

I know it'sw not "R&N", but I did the same on a couple of other boards, posting on the "main message page" and got it moved.

My point was to get it over to the "main population", and a link from the "main board" will hopefully get everyoneto the "Computer Stuff" sections to read it.

Looks like a really nasty email for the "non-computer experts" and I wanted to get the importance of it well circulated.

I spotted the implications almost immediately, but with the content of the message, I can understand that "non-virus-savvy" people could easily get worried and open the "payload" zip file. I immediately warned my business partners, and posted on the boards that I am a member of.

Regards to all,

ExSim