PDA

View Full Version : Africans in Oz?

Q4NVS
25th May 2006, 15:28
We often here/read about Ozzies :} looking for work in Africa (entry level, granted).

I was just curious wrt how may ex South Africans or other Africans are actually now flying in Oz/Nz. :D

Would be interesting to know what/where, because as far as I am lead to believe, to find a flying job in Oz/Nz is even worse than trying to get one in Africa.

Anyone tried...:ugh:

Elroy Jettson
26th May 2006, 03:05
If you have a 330 endorsement, you can get a job with jetstar. They pay a job search allowance of a salary though. Otherwise they will charge you 150,000 rand for an endorsement.

As for GA, there are quite a few good jobs going at the moment. Operators finding it hard to get experienced guys at all levels of aviation. There are a few Yarpies and Rhodies in Qantas, most joined in 1989. Different rules then. :hmm:

Contact CASA at http://www.casa.gov.au/ to see what you licence conversion requirements are.

Then there is your work visa requirements. http://www.immi.gov.au/. Take it from me, you dont want to have to marry a SHEILA just to get a flying job here! :}

My advice? Get all the hours you can over there, and enjoy Perth on your SAA overnights.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th May 2006, 06:16
Might get a better response on the D&G forum. Think there were a couple of threads similar to this one running there at one stage...

kq777
26th May 2006, 12:32
Most of the African drivers I know, trained in Oz then went back to Africa to fly.

We often here/read about Ozzies :} looking for work in Africa (entry level, granted).
I was just curious wrt how may ex South Africans or other Africans are actually now flying in Oz/Nz. :D
Would be interesting to know what/where, because as far as I am lead to believe, to find a flying job in Oz/Nz is even worse than trying to get one in Africa.
Anyone tried...:ugh:

ampk
27th May 2006, 01:11
I live in the Northern Territory there is plenty of GA jobs but many more junior pilots willing to work for peanuts.

Only way to get a visa is if some one cant fill the post here. Eg need the big ratings.

If you are in SA try start Maun in Bots then to KASAC OR Execs in Gabs then any reginal will look at you after that you have a chance in OZ.

Expect a dramatic life style change in Oz I miss Africa.

gtseraf
28th May 2006, 07:25
Another option is to live in Aus and take advantage of the commuting jobs in Asia. Jobs in Oz are scarce and outsiders may find it difficult getting one. :ugh: With sufficient jet experience the Asian contract scene's a good bet. Live in Oz, great lifestyle, work in Asia, not so lekker!
Having had a taste of life in Africa and in Oz, you won't get me back in Africa in a rush.

fourplay
28th May 2006, 10:19
AMPK, What dramatic lifestyle change do you mean.... Most of AU is the same as
Sth Africa.

Lifestyle, climate, beaches, countryside, culture, speech and people I found were all so similar I was amazed.

You could go from one to the other and feel at home. (edited) 4HP... hehehehehhee

My thoughts anyway.... anyone else?

4HolerPoler
28th May 2006, 10:31
I agree - always a good idea to be quiet at home - makes for a civilized environment. :}

4HP

KnifeEdge
3rd Jun 2006, 14:44
Hi

I am a South African flying in Oz. The lifestyle here is quite similar compared to SA except that there is the obvious lack of crime here.

When it comes to the flying, yes the jobs are not plentiful, but like everywhere else if you keep on persisting you will get there. Competition for jobs at the top end is fierce, but you can still find really good jobs in GA paying good money. A lot of people will probably look at the options in Asia once they get their hours up, quietly hoping to get a job with Jetstar, Virgin or Qantas if you are lucky enough.

All in all a great place to fly - you can be forgiven for thinking you are flying between Pretoria and Pietersburg while flying around the top end of Australia - wide open spaces and the scenery looks exactly the same!

Take care

KE

tinpis
4th Jun 2006, 03:01
Most of you Sarf Effrikens get bored sh#tless with the lifestyle in Oz.
You can stop the car on a lonely road for a leak and not get et by something hiding in the bushes.
You cant carry guns so no fire fights with carjackers.
The communties in the bush would make Soweto look like a 5 star resort.

ampk
12th Jun 2006, 09:34
I remember guys loading A/C n washing them too. Then when you get home the gardener had cleaned the yard n the maid all the washing and ironing and would cook as well all for $100 a month. o I forgot babysitting till all hours inc. If the cops pulled me over and I my have been over, that was easy to fix try any of that here.

Nah ur right, IT is the same I just miss the slave labour...& bribes..

work is no diff I agree.