PDA

View Full Version : Airport Names Question

TightSlot
25th May 2006, 08:31
According to the CAA document linked to here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/notal32006naming of aerodromes.pdf)
Where the name includes a large conurbation or area that the aerodrome serves, it should also include the nearest settlement, e.g. Bournemouth (Hurn). Names that are non-aviation related, the name of a public figure or that reflect the type of aerodrome or its operation, e.g. “International”, are not permitted.
Where does this leave John Lennon, George Best, Robin Hood etc. etc.

Haven't a clue
25th May 2006, 09:03
Or indeed what becomes of London Luton (as it is named in my Aerads..). Perhaps it should become London (Luton) to be consistent with the requirements in your quote from the NOTAL.

egnxema
25th May 2006, 09:55
Isn't the link only refering to names as refered to in CAA documentation. The commercial (John Lennon, Robin Hood, "International", etc) will always be chosen for commercially advantageous and marketing reasons.

I hope this thread doesn't reap the oh so boring list of made up names a la Ryanair. :=

At a local level I find that no matter what the commercial tag of an airport is, it is always refered to by its local name, especially the London Airports. Around EMA many people still refer to it as East Midlands, or even Castle Donington, rather than calling it Nottingham.

Internationally I think most people refer to city names, and not tag/commercial/marketing names. When was the last time you said you are flying to Leonardo Da Vinci (FCO) or Franz Joseph Strauss (MUC)??

WHBM
25th May 2006, 10:06
The new restriction is indeed only in reference to "technical" communications, with the CAA. Marketing names to the general public etc can doubtless continue to be as an airport wishes, though the CAA probably wishes for those to go as well.

I presume that the new "silly" names were starting to get into technical and operational matters, and causing confusion. East Midlands seems to have started the rot recently, then it spread to others. There are cases where it is just a "tag" to the name (Liverpool and Belfast City), and where the name has actually been changed (East Midlands and Teesside).

I am sure we do not wish to get to the US pattern of "Mayor Hiram K. Underpants Memorial International Airport" with its occasional charter to the Bahamas, and where the name gets changed as politicians come and go.

Of course some of them, like JFK or Charles de Gaulle, stick.

TightSlot
25th May 2006, 11:08
Thanks all.

My after landing PA's have been getting more of a mouthfull recently - "Ladies & Gentlemen, Welcome to Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood International Airport (draw breath) where the local time is etc. etc." - and I was rather hoping that the CAA would enable us all to call the airports what everybody calls them anyway... (sigh)

I was also getting nervous, given that recent people so honoured have had at least two sides to their character, one darker than the other e.g. George Best, John Lennon (and being pedantic, Robin Hood). It strikes me that it could be only a matter of time until I find myself saying "...welcome to London City, Jack The Ripper International Airport..."

:E

WHBM
25th May 2006, 11:13
"Ladies & Gentlemen, Welcome to Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood International Airport where the local time is etc. etc"
Surely "Eeeee, we're at Donny" would be both more succinct and better understood by the majority of punters on board :)

TightSlot
25th May 2006, 11:20
Did do that once! :}

The insane people working for airport marketing (care in the community?) told the airline off, and then the airline told me off...

:ugh:

egnxema
25th May 2006, 12:52
IMO International" should be autodeleted from all names. If you have to call yourself something, very often you are not. Airports that do include it in their names are normally trying to sound alot bigger than they really are.:rolleyes:

robo283
22nd Jun 2006, 20:22
I am sure we do not wish to get to the US pattern of "Mayor Hiram K. Underpants Memorial International Airport" with its occasional charter to the Bahamas, and where the name gets changed as politicians come and go.
Of course some of them, like JFK or Charles de Gaulle, stick.
...let alone London Tony Blair Airport formerly known as Heathrow....

BOAC
22nd Jun 2006, 20:36
TS - just say 'Welcome to Finningley':)

Harry the Hound
23rd Jun 2006, 06:42
If we refer to my prefered departure point to the world, 'Bristol International' its still refered to quite often as Lulsgate, after the somerset settlement it nestles in 'Lulsgate Bottom' what i want to know is firstly who is Lulsgate? and second what was so great about his arse that they named a village and nearly an international airport after it!!
Answers on a postcard :} :} :}

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jun 2006, 13:52
Harry the H.
I believe that Lulsgate was a highwayman and distant relative of the old Canards of Shep’n. He was known to be a martyr to his piles, on account of his long hours in the saddle. The Lulsgates continued the family business of highway robbery and are, so rumour has it, significant stakeholders in the car park that serves the aerodrome that bears their ancestor’s name.

G-BZ

WATABENCH
23rd Jun 2006, 21:52
Those last 2 posts are pure comedy, lovin your work :D :} :D :}
2mles south of Radstock VRP? Well at least its not 2 miles north - Peasedown - lol