PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instruction

Alex 009
25th May 2006, 08:31
Instead of trying to get into the Airlines straight after training (which I think many do), I have decided that it would be a wise move to become an instructor in order to gain a respectable amount of hours, and to keep the all important basic aircraft handling skills. This will also increase my 'pilot in command hours'. I would also enjoy teaching people something I love doing, and that is flying light aircraft. The only downside that I can see at the moment is that I will not be getting an ATPL straight away, and will have to do the exams one by one during instructing (this is CASA so there are only 7 exams). What do you all think? Wise move, or not really?

rmcdonal
25th May 2006, 09:02
Instead of trying to get into the Airlines straight after training (which I think many do) Wha??? Oh you mean many Try to get into the airlines, none of them do. Aus is VERY different to the EU countries in which over there you can get a job in an airline with 300hrs, over here that wont even get you your first S/E job
There are 3 options in Aus for a fresh CPL.
1) Instructing: Get your Jnr 3 and try to get a job with the crew who trained you. Once you’re past the first 100hrs ab-initio you become useful and start to clock up the hrs faster. Some how find 50multi cmd and then get a ME Training appvl, and start clocking up Twin time.
2) Go North: Try your luck with every one else up the top end. Fly S/E Aircraft for Tourist/ Freight/ Charter/ Stations whatever. May take a little while to get a foot in the door but if you hang around for long enough your bound to get a shot. If you can find your way into a company with twins then you could be up for internal promotion into one after your first 1000hrs (+ or -). Hard but rewarding option.
3) Meat bomb Pilot: Not to sure how this one works but if you can find an operator with a Caravan or Chieftain in the hanger then you’re laughing. Should get very good at going up and down, lots of landings. Never done it myself, so this part could be mis-informed.
As for ATPL's save your money and do them all in one hit with AFT at Maroochy. Takes 6 weeks and you get the 4 hard ones out of the way. Plus you get to spend 6 weeks near the beach and get to meet other pilots at varying levels of training and employment (you never know your next job could come from someone you meet on course).
ALWAYS enjoy what you’re doing.
Good luck:ok: :ok: :ok:

purpletank
26th May 2006, 16:21
Hmmmm.......

Captain Sand Dune
27th May 2006, 00:49
4) Join the ADF. Recieve top notch training, while getting paid to do it. Fly some seriously fun machinery doing fun stuff. Sorry if I sound like a poorly written recruitment ad, however it's definitely an option worth looking at.
If you can hack the military BS, there's definitely more +s' than -'s. :ok:

Aussie
27th May 2006, 01:15
CPT Sand dune,

Sounds like the way to go if you ask me. Cant beat the military :)

Aussie

Alex 009
27th May 2006, 07:40
I still haven't ruled out the ADF, and they are still an option. I take it that if i had 300 hrs worth of training behind me it would help my case to join. I would love to fly an A330 tanker or a Herc.

Chimbu chuckles
27th May 2006, 07:58
The only downside that I can see at the moment is...

Ahhh to be young.:D

barney01
27th May 2006, 11:01
I smell fresh meat:bored:

barit1
27th May 2006, 13:26
Speaking as an old FI (and the son of an even older FI) -

You may think you have your skills well learned, but you'll learn a lot more when you are teaching those skills to someone else. I would seriously consider the instructor route, if it's not already overpopulated.

BARON DRIVER
8th Jun 2006, 14:10
Basically ALEX009 you have two options -
1. go up north
2. instructing

Having not done the go up north thing, i really cant say much about it, other than it seems there alot of pilots up there working in pubs? or so ive heard.

Instructing - Yes it will give you good hand on skills with the aircraft. Which will help later on in your career. And yes i have had it said to me by a charter pilot, " you guys just do the same flight 100's of times over" hhmm, maybe?
But every instructing flight is different, you never know what the student will do, react to, during his training?

Hands up, how many charter guys have found themselves upside down after a stall? (hint wing drop, student uses wrong rudder! it happens)

Having done charter flying aswell, ill take the instructing flight over a charter anyday.

Get your rating and enjoy yourself mate.

archangel7
8th Jun 2006, 19:47
First of all Alex009, I personally believe that its important to get your ATPL'S out of the way before you start flying because they are not easy and you need to get them out of the way ASAP before you become busy flying. I loved working as an Instructor. It taught me a lot of things about my self that I didn’t know. It biulds flight discipline and improves your handling skills and interpersonal communications. So yeah, I say work as an instructor before you go up north. And make sure you finish those ATPL's, Nathan Higgins is excellent at delivering the theory and you cant argue with the fact that he has the best pass rate in Australia. He is very down to earth, very friendly personality. I got them done in 3 months…. finished the first 4 but had troubles passing AHUF....****en Bi tch of an exam if you ask me!... took me 4 goes to pass it lol what’s Chronic fatigue again? lol anyways Alex, good luck with your endeavors