PDA

View Full Version : Health Problems

fly_guy100
25th May 2006, 00:19
What kind of health conditions will prevent me of getting hired at Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar as a cabin crew. I know HIV is one. The thing I'm worried about is high blood pressure, my mom is a FA here in the states and it's being controlled by medication but do you think if I get it in the future this will disqualify me????

sebby
25th May 2006, 00:32
I fly out of Auckland, and have moved here from Australia. My Mum used to be a GP (she ahs now moved onto surgery) and she used to complete medicals for Qantas.

In her opinion an irregular heartbeat or high blood pressure that can be controlled by medication should not hinder your progress to obtain any sort of employment as long as you have proven trustwirthy and experienced with your medication. This would never stop her reccommending anyone for QF.

The medical you complete is simply for a doctor to sign off that they do not think there is anything medically that will endanger the lives of the airlines passengers. A big one for EK is pregnancy (for obvious reasons). The problem you may face though is that Middle Eastern carriers actually have you undergo medical checks in your home state and then as a part of your training you must see thier doctor to confirm everything that has already been consulted on. It is not uncommon for people to be sent home from DXB and the like for not passing that particular medical. A shame but true, and do not let it be failing the drug test or they wont even pay for your ticket home.

I personally will not ever apply for those airlines, im happy working for a world class airline that does not monitor my living habbits and social patterns. That allows me to live in a country where I am used to the culture and when I go home I actually go home, not to an apartment of my colleagues.

clogs
28th May 2006, 23:19
Does anyone know if having an allergy or taking antihistamines hinders/affects cabin crew applications for the middle eastern airlines, eg gulf air?

apaddyinuk
29th May 2006, 00:12
Does anyone know if having an allergy or taking antihistamines hinders/affects cabin crew applications for the middle eastern airlines, eg gulf air?

Clogs unfortunately you are not allowed to fly while taking antihistamines and if I remember correctly when I flew for Qatar Airways the rule was the same. The reasoning is that it impairs your judgement. I suffer from hay fever during the summer and it sometimes gets really bad but I know that once I am in the air conditioned cabin of an aircraft it will almost immediately clear up so I dont risk taking anything in the mean time and 7 years on I have never had a problem.

As for high blood pressure, well to be honest Im not really sure. If its from the likes of smoking and poor diet then I think all you need to do is consider a lifestyle change which should bring it under control. If it is controlled by medication this too may help but if its simply a matter of it being family history and you have not yet been diagnosed then I think you should be fine. My family has history of high blood pressure but as yet Im as clean as a whistle...TOUCH WOOD!!! Im more worried about the big C knocking me down!

clogs
29th May 2006, 09:41
oh dear, that's not encouraging! i have been offered a job with gulf air but was worried because i put on my medical form that i have mild urticaria - it actually doesn't come up much at all now and i don't need to take antihistamines on a regular basis - i just put it to be truthful, and because, although i don't take the antihistamines i'm prescribed, i still am prescribed them... would they really withdraw an offer because of this?? i'd be absolutely heartbroken if that happened...

apaddyinuk - did you put that you had hayfever on your medical form? will they check the details out with me or will they just withdraw the offer based on the fact that i have an allergy?

OzzieO
29th May 2006, 09:59
Don't declare it. Its hardly going to have an impact on the way you operate.

clogs
29th May 2006, 10:11
OzzieO - I already declared it, that's why I'm worried. Perhaps I shouldn't have... but I hate lying. Do you think they will consider it serious enough to withdraw a job offer?? I'm kicking myself now for putting it, because as you say, it actually wouldn't affect my ability to do the job. I'm just scared they'll think it will!

OzzieO
29th May 2006, 10:19
Tell them that you are not taking the medication on a regular basis and you would never need to when you are operating as crew.

clogs
29th May 2006, 10:22
Thanks OzzieO, that's true enough anyway. I'll try it... I just hope they don't have strict regulations.

OzzieO
29th May 2006, 10:24
Good luck let me know what happens. x

apaddyinuk
30th May 2006, 07:17
Hey Clog.
Yeah I told them that I suffered from hayfever for the simple reason that if it ever flaired up badly and I needed to be taken out of work, at least they are aware that it is something I suffered from.
But I was honest and said that I dont take anything for it other than sudafed and that i was confident that it would not effect my sinus'.
As for the antihistamines, I really would not worry about it too much if you only have to take them once in a blue moon. I would be careful for your own sake however if you are flying on them and anything should happen requiring you to get an alco test or something. Not sure if it would show up in a urine sample but perhaps you could get in trouble. The best thing to do is seek out some advice about flying and using them for your own personal information. Im certainly no medical professional and I doubt there are many people on pprune who are. The last thing you want at 30000 feet, 1000miles from nowhere over an ocean or desert is a bad reaction to them. Iv seen it happen to passengers and I would hate to see it happen to a crew member.

fourplay
30th May 2006, 13:16
A 70 yr old aviation nurse walks into a bank and prepares to endorse a check... She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a rectal thermometer then tries to write with it. She looks up at the teller, pauses for a moment, then realizing her mistake, she says, "Well that's great......just great.....Some as*hole's got my pen."

:p :p :p :p

teamilkandone
30th May 2006, 15:13
I worked for Gulf Air for 13 years. Declared before joining that I suffered from hayfever and occasionally took antihistamines, had no problem. Have also worked for 3 other airlines since, doing the same thing, always no problem. By the way all the time I was in in Bahrain I NEVER suffered from hayfever.

clogs
30th May 2006, 19:26
apaddyinuk - i'm surprised to hear that people sometimes have a bad reaction to antihistamines, i always thought it was a pretty harmless drug! i've never had a problem with clarityn, the one i'm prescribed. apparently it's the only one pilots are allowed to take whilst flying so i guess it makes sense that cabin crew should be allowed to use it, too...but i guess i'll find out for sure soon enough. i can easily do without them if necessary. thanks for your post - i get terribly paranoid sometimes... i think it's all the waiting!

teamilkandone - thank you, that's very reassuring and i feel much better! :)

sickBocks
30th May 2006, 21:03
As far as I know the non-drowsy anti-histamines are acceptable. If you go over to the medical & health forum and do a search it's in there somewhere. Failing that contact the medical department of your friendly neighbourhood CAA for the right answer.

sB

sebby
31st May 2006, 08:26
Ive found that when i take antihistamines my face dries up in the air and i feel ****ty.. but not as ****ty as having a sneezing fit and a swollen throat!

GaryJon
31st May 2006, 12:24
This might be of some interest to all you fellow sufferers.

Recently I went to a Holistic Clinic and was advised to use Luffa Complex for hayfever and Plantago for the sinuses and I have to say they're working a treat.( I'm using the tincture form) No side effects and no contra indications. They're both made by Vogel( formerly Bioforce) But you can buy them in any health shop. they do cost around £7.99 each, but worth it. Check out:
www.uk.avogel-server.org/index.php (http://www.uk.avogel-server.org/index.php)

Also, I've been having a couple of cups of Nettle tea everyday which is a natural antihistimine. Its very nice by the way, light and refreshing!!!!
And using Sterimar, which is just a sea water spray you buy from Boots or any other chemist.

Try them, there's nothing to lose and you can continue with your regular tablets/sprays if you want to.

All I can tell you is that i've only been doing this regime for a week and a half and the difference is amazing. Hope it works for you too!

sebby
3rd Jun 2006, 00:06
Actually ive tried that tea and it is great... Thanks for reminding me GaryJon.